Dreamcast

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gi joe

Dreamcast

Post by gi joe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi

New hear. Maybe this shouldn't be my first post, don't beat me if I shouldn't ask this question but being new I don't know what is askable, is that a word?

I have the choice of purchasing a few sealed PAL Dreamcast games, factory sealed not reseals. With 6 VMU's of different colours and 10 brand new empty PAL cases.

But altogether it would come to a big £800. Do you think it's worth it? Some of the sealed games are in the £40 range.

Maybe it's the wrong reason to collect but I'm thinking of them as some sort of investment. Hide them away for a few years or until I have a place to display them, then they might be worth more.

But I'm thinking, won't it get to a point when the Dreamcast is unplayable? When we move aware from CRTs and LCDs and something else comes along. Something that retro consoles may not be playable on. Then, wouldn't it all be worthless?

FatTrucker

Re: Dreamcast

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Way too much money. DC remains one of the cheapest systems to collect for, I'm pretty sure even sealed stuff doesn't go for decent money. A lot though will depend on the rarity of the sealed titles, there was loads of unsold DC inventory out there so most sealed games for it aren't particularly rare.

If you're looking to collect sealed stuff then wether it works or not is pretty moot, although advances in TV tech will probably make the market for secondhand CRT's pretty good at some point in the future.

Collecting sealed games as an investment is pretty much a waste of time unless you're buying games for current systems at retail. The market for sealed titles on old systems means collectors already pay a premium for them so you won't see much of a return when selling them on unless you get them for a bargain price in the first place...and £800 for a few sealed DC titles isn't really a bargain.

Having spare cases can be handy though as DC cases will generally break if you look at them funny or breath in the wrong direction.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

gi joe

Post by gi joe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks.

This is the list I'm trying to get. They're now doing me a deal at £540 for this lot

DRAGON RIDERS
EVIL TWIN
TECH ROMANCER
MAKEN X
CONFIDENTIAL MISSION
GUNBIRD 2
OUTTRIGGER
CRAZY TAXI
MR DRILLER
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE
PLASMA SWORD -NIGHTMARE OF BILSTEIN
DEEP FIGHTER
SEGA GT
CHAMPIONSHIP SURFER
WWF ROYAL RUMBLE
NBA SHOWTIME -NBA ON NBC
SNOW SURFERS
SEGA CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL - 90 MINUTES
SPEC OPS II - OMEGA SQUAD
ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP
STAR WARS DEMOLITION
NBA 2K2
SUZUKI ALSTARE EXTREME RACING
TOMB RAIDER - THE LAST REVELATION
SNOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP RACING
HEAVY METAL
TOY COMMANDER
VIRTUA ATHLETE 2K
DISNEY'S DINOSAUR
FLOIGAN BROS
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
CHUCHU ROCKET
STUNT GP
POD 2
QUAKE III ARENA
VIRTUA FIGHTER 3 3TB
VIRTUA TENNIS 2
6 x Dreamcast VMU 2 Black 2 Blue 2 Green
Sega Dreamcast Game Case - set of Five - Brand New Rare x 2

Also for free would be 2 free unopened keyboards and these sealed US sports games

WSB2k1,NBA2k1,NFL2k1,NHL2k

But I'm still reluctant to part with that much cash if it's not going to rise. I may just stick with what I've already got now. Maybe just getting some empty cases off him.

I'm thinking of looking at collecting Gamecube stuff too. Just because it only ended in 2007 so thinking should still be able to get stuff new from places like Gamestation.

I don't really play consoles anymore and haven't really touched the Dreamcast since it arrived. It's just the Dreamcast and Gamecube seemed unique to me at the time they were released. Don't know what it was about them.

But I think I'll be saying no to the sealed games above then if they are not really worth it. I was thinking of writing, on the very very very slim off chance they'd know of any places that still had the surplus Dreamcast stuff that never sold. Would of thought most of it would of been shredded and recycled.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

It works out about £15 each. Which isn't too bad if they are all sealed NIB. But again as an investment rather than as a collection they aren't going to be worth meabucks at any time in the near future TBH, inflation will keep pace with (and maybe even outstrip) any profit. The sports games are usually bargain bin stuff too.

For the money its probably all just about worth what they're asking if sold seperately on ebay. But then there's no real profit in that.

If its just the US sports games that are sealed then its overpriced.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

gi joe

Post by gi joe » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:31 pm

No they are all sealed. I think I'll say "Thanks but no thanks" as I have to admit it's more an investment than collecting.

Think I might look at some Gamecube stuff maybe as the local Gamestation has some games, although again they are 2nd hand and now as they are owned by Game, I personally feel they've overpriced them, Game were always guilty of that. Also Game were guilty of resealing games. I remember being in store once when they asked a new guy if he'd been shown how to use the resealing machine. And they then would reseal the returned games pretending they'd never been purchased.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:46 am

Way to much for that lot, if it was a Japanese collection with some of the more obscure titles like Cosmic Smash, the Yu Suzuki Collection etc stuff like that then yes but not standard pal stuff in your list. as far as I am aware nothing you list is remotely rare so don't touch it for the price stated.
"Time fades even legend..."

gi joe

Post by gi joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. Although the games aren't rare I thought they might be in that state, as in still factory sealed. However, I've told the seller thanks but as I was looking at an investment more than a collection so I'll skip it.

Saw a rare site today. A Dreamcast game in a shop :) ChuChu Rocket :) I didn't pick it up as already have two copies.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:27 pm

gi joe wrote:I was looking at an investment more than a collection
You're on the wrong forum.

Games are rarely, if ever, a good investment as a collection.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm

If you're even thinking about playing those games, I wouldn't touch them at those prices, you can get change from a fiver for nearly any one of those.