Lost, unknown sequels?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coxy

Lost, unknown sequels?

Post by Coxy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Inspired by the Issue 85 Flashback article, I didn't even know Fade to Black on the Playstation was a sequel. I knew it was in the local Chips for a small amount so went and snapped it up! How about an article about lesser known sequels to retro games. Or the fact it goes the other way sometimes, people have bought games that didnt know had a long legacy behind them, The EDF games for a small example.....
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

Megamixer

Re: Lost, unknown sequels?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Until DPrinny mentioned it recently, I had no idea that they actually made a sequel to Rise of the Robots called Rise 2 Resurrection! (Who would even make such a thing?!?). I was interested in trying it but last I looked there was just one PS1 copy for £25 BIN...no thanks.

Also, only just found out (thanks to some Youtube trawling) that there was going to be a Primal Rage II (another awful decision - hate that game). It got cancelled though and I enjoyed reading about it in a recent issue of RG.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Starfox 2

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 pm

System Shock 2 and Freespace 2 are two pc games that sit in limbo, with the publishing rights held by one party and the developer either defunct (SS2, Looking Glass) or owned by another publisher (FS2, owned by THQ, previously Interplay).

And don't give my none of that crap about Bioshock being a spiritual successor, either. I want shodan and a spooky ship, damn it. :(

Coxy

Post by Coxy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:Until DPrinny mentioned it recently, I had no idea that they actually made a sequel to Rise of the Robots called Rise 2 Resurrection! (Who would even make such a thing?!?). I was interested in trying it but last I looked there was just one PS1 copy for £25 BIN...no thanks.
Exactly what I mean, I got the Saturn version for peanuts of poo-bay yonks ago for the same reasons.... it bites!

I think it should be geared towards games that actually saw release though....?
"Wiseman say, forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza"

Xbox Live: megawanger - Add me for Acheivement hunting or just add me!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 pm

I didnt think FTB WAS a sequel , well certainly not official . It's more like a spiritual successor, in the same way that Flashback was to Another World
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 am

Fred83 wrote:Starfox 2
has already been covered
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 am

CIH wrote:System Shock 2 and Freespace 2 are two pc games that sit in limbo, with the publishing rights held by one party and the developer either defunct (SS2, Looking Glass) or owned by another publisher (FS2, owned by THQ, previously Interplay).

And don't give my none of that crap about Bioshock being a spiritual successor, either. I want shodan and a spooky ship, damn it. :(
I had System Shock 2, got it as a freebie with a Compaq PC my parents bought years ago. Awesome game, dare you to play it in the dark and the sound turned up loud...

Soul of a Robot was the sequel to Nonterraqueous (hope I spelt that right) but was unfortunately awful in comparison to the first game.
ImageImage

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:23 am

Wolfenstein 3D was a sequel to the 2D maze arcade-adventures Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein.

And I always thought that Mastertronic's Terminus on the Speccy was just a budget clone of Quicksilva's huge Tantalus, but apparently it's a follow up from the same author, Paul Hargreaves.
Last edited by joefish on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 am

FIFA 95.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 am

joefish wrote:Wolfenstein 3D was a sequel to the 2D maze arcade-adventures Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein.

And I always thought that Mastertronic's Terminus on the Speccy was just a budget clone of Quicksilva's huge Tantalus, but apparently it's a follow up from the same author, Paul Hargreaves.
Tantalus was boasted as having over 1000 screens when it came out, but this hampered play, it was just too vast...I remember spending ages just wandering around...

Terminus was smaller and more controlled and much better.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 am

jdanddiet wrote:Tantalus was boasted as having over 1000 screens when it came out, but this hampered play, it was just too vast...I remember spending ages just wandering around...

Terminus was smaller and more controlled and much better.
1024 = 32x32. Four times the size of Sabre Wulf at 16x16 = 256 screens.
My guess is, like Sabre Wulf, there were only a few room types or possible exits/paths through a room, such that each room only took just a few bytes to store and the actual scenery was generated by an algorithm from pre-defined pieces. Even if each room took just 48 bytes to store, that'd be the entire Speccy memory (including the screen memory!) gone...

I really loved the walk-on-the-ceiling character in Terminus. Though I thought that was just one big map too. I was never sufficiently good at it to even get to the end of the first level!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I didnt think FTB WAS a sequel , well certainly not official . It's more like a spiritual successor, in the same way that Flashback was to Another World
Its been years since I played through it, but I'm pretty sure Fade To Black was a direct sequel (or at least continuance) of the story in Flashback. I'm pretty sure you played the same character, and had been found by the Aliens after years floating in space.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:16 pm

merman wrote:
Fred83 wrote:Starfox 2
has already been covered
Got the ROM - I don't think it really falls into either area.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:22 pm

CIH wrote:System Shock 2 and Freespace 2 are two pc games that sit in limbo, with the publishing rights held by one party and the developer either defunct (SS2, Looking Glass) or owned by another publisher (FS2, owned by THQ, previously Interplay).

The Many are Strong!, but not sadly strong enough for the DC port or a proper sequel.Bought and completed both Bioshocks-They are ok, but not a patch on System Shock 2.