More Hardware

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

zx6rman_uk

More Hardware

Post by zx6rman_uk » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Im prob one of the few but Id like to see more hardware information.

I know its called Retro GAMER but....

I liked the articles on the Atari ST etc etc for example and anymore complicated than Space Invaders or Mr Do! and im sweating.. hehehe

Just a thought.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:23 pm

It doesn't seem to be a popular opinion on the forums, but I also like hardware info. The computers are as important as the games, so I would be happy to see more technical stuff. I don't think it will happen though.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:47 pm

Well, I like the hardware stuff also.......

Maybe we need a .............

POLL :?

Dudley

Re: More Hardware

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:05 pm

zx6rman_uk wrote:Im prob one of the few but Id like to see more hardware information.

I know its called Retro GAMER but....

I liked the articles on the Atari ST etc etc for example and anymore complicated than Space Invaders or Mr Do! and im sweating.. hehehe

Just a thought.
What we need is a Retro Power and a Retro Format to cover both angles. They could have a constant turf war and then one of them could censored off Team 17.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:24 am

I don't mind the 'featured console/computer' every issue as that doesn't go into too much technical detail. I think if RAM and speeds started to be discussed, I would fall asleep! :wink:

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 am

LeeT wrote:I don't mind the 'featured console/computer' every issue as that doesn't go into too much technical detail. I think if RAM and speeds started to be discussed, I would fall asleep! :wink:
Completely agree Lee. I like the 'featured's' but old RG went a little too far with the techy stuff.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:31 am

I'd prefer RG to be a tad more techy. Loads of games stuff so the balance would be barely effected.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:23 am

I thought the technical articles on the computers were just right in the old Retro Gamer. They covered the hardware up to a certain technical level, a bit of history and some games on the hardware but never got too technical.

Maybe 1 article a month would be a good balance to keep us techie fans happy?

Rob

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:44 am

Technical is good. Some of the technical achievements with the hardware are just as noteworthy and interesting as the stuff the games designers did.

NorthWay

Re:

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:35 am

planetmatt wrote:Technical is good. Some of the technical achievements with the hardware are just as noteworthy and interesting as the stuff the games designers did.
Not to mention that many games were made because of or half in spite of the hw and its features. Some games simply started as technical demos to prove that "X is impossible" was false. You should know your roots...

If you want to go technical and topical you could get in touch with some of the people recreating Amiga/ST/C=64(other?) hw in FPGAs nowadays and talk to them about what that generation or specific set of chips was like.
Perhaps chart an overview of what retro hw has been recreated and what is available Out There?

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:19 pm

okay so techie isn't that popular, but I'm sure you could spare one page each month to talk about a techie subject

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:24 am

I like techie stuff, I've always thought the hardware features should be longer. But then again, I'm probably the only person who'd enjoy a 15 page anthem on any one piece of hardware.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:28 am

There's a happy medium that can be struck.

Where hardware discussions are relevant - e.g. talking about the SuperFX chip in a feature on 3D games - then there should be coverage. Or a comparison between different versions where some aspect is different because of the hardware.

But I think RG has grown past the need for long lists of vital statistics and chip descriptions. (That's the sort of info that's on the web for people to find if they want to)

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:39 am

A tech specs box wouldn't take up much page space.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:33 am

Spiff wrote:A tech specs box wouldn't take up much page space.
True, but most of them are usually wrong and over issues tend to grow into ridiculously long lists that few people are interested in reading...

Still, if there's enough interest...