Games programs on TV

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Games programs on TV

Post by Sureshot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:50 pm

Just an idea - how about doing a feature on one (or more) of the bunch of games programs that were on TV? Gamesmaster immediately springs to mind, of course, and then there was Bad Influence and a couple of others. You could even mention other snippets from games on the TV, like the stuff from that University Challenge-style gameshow where they played Track & Field or Paperboy for one of the rounds.

Any plans for this kind of thing? Do advise if it's been done/mentioned before :P

merman

Post by merman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:23 am

Paperboy, Hypersports and 720 all featured on FIRST CLASS, a BBC quiz show for schools presented by Debbie Greenwood.

It was mentioned before, on the old RG forum. It's just a question of gathering more resources to make it worthwhile (hi Aonghus!) ;)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:25 am

Was there a letter in RG from Aonghus de Barra, mentioning that he had dozens of old shows on dvd ? :?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:01 am

I'd like to see some stuff on the early eighties tv shows as well. Micro Live covered game software sometimes.

I'd also really like to find out what the show I used to watch is (and maybe track down some episodes or info). I recall it was presented by a mop headed man with a regional accent (I'm thinking Scottish, possibly it was a Grampian TV production) and had one of those awful pun titles, something like 'Fission Chips' iirc. Something to do with Chips I'm pretty sure. I used to sit glued to the screen waiting for it to come on. There were 'educational' items for the most part, but every week there'd be kids reviewing new games. It was one of the few ways to see them in motion and in colour, so few shops having stuff set up on display back then.

Later 90's shows seemed to lose the plot and became very childish, often just pale shadows of Games Master. Bits, Thumb Bandits and Cybernet were the best of the bunch imho. Movies, Games and Videos had a half decent segment every week.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:10 am

TV-AM used to review computer games in its early days. There was also a Central TV programme called 'Magic Micro Mission' which was featured in an issue of CRASH.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:50 am

Morkin wrote:Was there a letter in RG from Aonghus de Barra, mentioning that he had dozens of old shows on dvd ? :?
Yep. In fact I have the DVD's here...

Del Boy

Re:

Post by Del Boy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:30 am

merman wrote:Paperboy, Hypersports and 720 all featured on FIRST CLASS, a BBC quiz show for schools presented by Debbie Greenwood.
Ah yes, I remember it well! ....To be honest though, I only used to watch it to look at Debbie Greenwood! :lol: ....Well she was well fit!

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:48 am

LeeT wrote:TV-AM used to review computer games in its early days. There was also a Central TV programme called 'Magic Micro Mission' which was featured in an issue of CRASH.
Didn't C4 The Big Breakfast also do some game reviews? I seem to remember Chris Evans and some kid sat on a sofa reviewing the latest games...
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:23 am

As we've mentioned elsewhere we had a show called "Zone" in Australia. They had journo's from the Australian Nintendo Magazine System & Hyper magazine doing the reviews, but the show was sponsored by Sega, so while they did review SNES games, they would frequently tell you the Megadrive was a superior piece of hardware.... figures....

Things really went downhill when they wanted to show Mortal Kombat finishing moves & couldn't so they got 2 of the reviewers to perform the move while the announcer yelled out the combination...... really really bad TV.......

Not long after that, the host Adam left to pursue a music career (haven't heard from him since either!!), & we got a nice piece of eye candy called Megan Connelly to replace him. She clearly knew nothing about video games & had recently come from the short lived soap "Paradise Beach" so she was obviously looking for work :)

It didn't last beyond season 2.......

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:01 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
LeeT wrote:TV-AM used to review computer games in its early days. There was also a Central TV programme called 'Magic Micro Mission' which was featured in an issue of CRASH.
Didn't C4 The Big Breakfast also do some game reviews? I seem to remember Chris Evans and some kid sat on a sofa reviewing the latest games...
Yes I think he was nicknamed 'Ben The Boffin'.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:00 pm

Sky One did a great series called Gamesworld with Bob Mills
Unbelievably for a games programme ,it was on 5 days a week , with a different theme each night
It seemed to have just the right mixture of games playing/reviewing and humour
A good alternative to Games Master which was around at the same time

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:44 am

Gamesworld was awful, juvenile pap of the highest order. Its everything that games tv shouldn't be. I found it unbearable and is almost the only videogame show I refuse to watch as its so bad.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

filecore

Post by filecore » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:01 am

There was also the show called Starcade on in the US during the early 80's where contestants would battle it out on real arcade machines in the studio.
It's worth tracking down a few episodes on the net to see some classic cabs in action.

There's lots of good info here: http://www.jmpc.com/Starcade/starframe.htm

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:21 am

Theres one on now called G@mers,its on Rapture on digital,the presenter matt cuttle has been doin games progs for ages,its followed by Cybrenet,on Tues & Thurs

Mad Gerald

Re:

Post by Mad Gerald » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:42 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Gamesworld was awful, juvenile pap of the highest order. Its everything that games tv shouldn't be. I found it unbearable and is almost the only videogame show I refuse to watch as its so bad.
I may be wrong but I believe David "Little Britain" Walliams used to be on Gamesworld as one of the players.