Playstation as a retro platform

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is it time to view the original playstation as a retro platform?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 43

darlich

Re: Playstation as a retro platform

Post by darlich » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm

I will use the excuse I get very exciteable on the forum. lol Cheers tho. :mrgreen:

Womble

Post by Womble » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I think its a sad reality that RG will not be a life long mag for many people, there is simply not enough that is "retro" for any reader to get the mag for more than a few years without seeing the same old same old come round again. Whether you regard the PS1 as retro or not by excluding it you ignore the younger reader for whom 1995 was their "golden era", and if you include it you alienate the older readers who regard 1995 as yesterday.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Womble wrote:I think its a sad reality that RG will not be a life long mag for many people, there is simply not enough that is "retro" for any reader to get the mag for more than a few years without seeing the same old same old come round again. Whether you regard the PS1 as retro or not by excluding it you ignore the younger reader for whom 1995 was their "golden era", and if you include it you alienate the older readers who regard 1995 as yesterday.
Of course if you include both you alienate no-one. :wink:

RG does a pretty good job of covering plenty of stuff from different era's (look at last months Tomb Raider stuff). While each month might be a little hit or miss for each reader personally, there's still plenty of stuff to like every month regardless of your age or gaming history.

As for longevity, with 30 years of Retro games and systems to cover there's still plenty of potential there.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:35 am

Womble wrote:...there is simply not enough that is "retro" for any reader to get the mag for more than a few years without seeing the same old same old come round again.
I don't agree. I've been reading RG since issue 1 and I still find it to be fresh and interesting.

As for PS1, I think it is has now become retro - particularly it's life in the mid to late 90's.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:09 am

With regard to this and the other thread, I'd like to put forward an opinion.

It's time to start cataloguing the history of the Playstation 1, its games and the people who created them.

My reason? The recent sad death of Joffa Smiff. We missed a chance to share stories and anecdotes from a fascinating mind at the heart of the early 1980s software business. Now's the time to start saving the history from the 1990s, before people and companies start dropping out of sight and the distortion of the present leaves the wrong impression for the future.

I'm not saying RG should have hosts of features every issue, but starting on the early games now would be a good idea. And the franchises that carry on now (Driver, for example) are a good starting point.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RPKGV

Post by RPKGV » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Just doesn't seem old enough IMO. Very dated yes, but retro, no.
My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more, http://www.youtube.com/user/RPKGameVids

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:31 am

merman wrote:It's time to start cataloguing the history of the Playstation 1, its games and the people who created them.
You start writing the articles now, we'll read them in a decade or so when they're retro ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

M.Bison

Post by M.Bison » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Thats actually a good question about the PS1 being a retro console. I say it gets retro status. The thing is about 15 years old (came out in '95 if i remember right),although it seems like yesterday. Maybe thats cause we are still using the same contollers today for PS3. I wasnt really nuts about the PS1,I owned one,but I gotta say,they nailed it good with those controllers. Back to the subject though,its retro,no doubt....along with the Sega Saturn.....wouldnt call the N64 retro quite yet.

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Womble wrote:I think its a sad reality that RG will not be a life long mag for many people, there is simply not enough that is "retro" for any reader to get the mag for more than a few years without seeing the same old same old come round again. Whether you regard the PS1 as retro or not by excluding it you ignore the younger reader for whom 1995 was their "golden era", and if you include it you alienate the older readers who regard 1995 as yesterday.
The thing is as time goes on more systems become retro, RG may well be covering PS3 games in 15 years time if it's still about (the mag). Then people will reminisce about the good ol days of playing Uncharted etc...

Plus there's tons of stuff still yet to be covered from past machines.

M.Bison

Post by M.Bison » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 am

As more systems come out,and as time goes by,more systems become retro. So that means there's always going to be fresh material. A few years from now,the question is gonna arise "Should the PS2 now be considered retro?" So the mag will never run out of material. And,even just with the material we have right now,you could write for years. I mean, think how many systems and games are now retro.

darlich

Post by darlich » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 am

It is difficult to judge. Compared to antiques (which have the standard of being roughly 100 years or older - that's what orange skin man said on braindead bargain hunt anyhoo)...gaming machines have a smaller time bracket that they have existed in. I have very fond memories of the Ps1 and in many ways I'm too young to fondly remember early systems. Ok it's fine to come to the party late but there's not the same tug on the heartstrings as things you grew up with. For me, although I had dizzy on speccy...and I loved the megadrive to within an inch of my life...the ps1 is where it took off. Perfect gamepad and beautiful games. Multplayer laughs and just hours on Final Fantasy VII.....Loading up Gran Turismo for the first time held something I never had from Sonic. Maybe it was cos I hadn't heard of the system or the games. I just saw it existed and on a whim one day I bought it. Sony fanboy you see....although pretty much every sony item I had bought had broken down in no time. But the brand oozes class. Makes you pay for it too....but the ps1 was bulletproof. Sadly the PS3 is not the same.

Oh I love my wee Ps1. Sighs...

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm

darlich wrote:tug on the heartstrings as things you grew up with.
This as far as I'm concerned is what defines Retro. If someone's old enough to look back on a 'childhood' and get that warm fuzzy feeling when listening to, smelling, touching, watching or playing something from back then that's not about now, then its Retro.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57 pm

The original Playstation hit the shelves in 1995 (iirc) ..... therefore it is a retro machine, and I've always considered it so.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Even in 1995?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

darlich

Post by darlich » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Personally in my mind I'd class the PS2 as a retro platform too. But I won't make that suggestion here. Just seems like Donkeys years ago that I read over every detail of the machine coming out for yonks...and it totally blew me away with the jump from PS1.

Having said that though...such simple games like Road Rash 2 on the megadrive...Was so incredible it still stands today...

Does anyone know of any retro gamer mags that covered Road Rash 2?