Pre-school Beeb stuff for modern day children?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Brilad

Pre-school Beeb stuff for modern day children?

Post by Brilad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 am

Hi all

Just wondering about introducing my kids to computers.

Obviously I don't want to get them in to working an 8-bit computer only to go to school and wonder what these new-fangled PCs are with their "mice" and whatnot but I reckon some of the old BBC Micro stuff must still be of value/fun etc etc.

At the moment they are still too young but one of my children is starting to recognise letters so I am hoping to get memories/tips about pre-school stuff for the BBC.

I can stick it on an emulator and have 10-15 mins now and again.

Letters/Numbers/Pattern recognition type stuff.

Any ideas??

TIA

PanzerGeneral

Re: Pre-school Beeb stuff for modern day children?

Post by PanzerGeneral » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm

I've got a beeb and a beeb master - but sadly have never really used them for educational purposes.

The one I did use however was the TI/99/4a emulator (Win994a), it comes with a load of cartridge images which are easy to use and loads of them are educational.
I tried one called "Early Learning Fun" on my daughter when she was 2-3 years old - and surprise; she actually loved it and kept badgering me to play it all the time, there is an absolute load of cartridge images and they cover all aspect of early learning - like, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, early reading skills, alphabet, story, music and picture making etc.
As a bonus - there are a few good games in there as well.

Arcadian

Post by Arcadian » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Can't suggest anything specific but you might want to try out ...

... these Disc Images:
http://www.bbcmicro.com/?page_id=12&browse=educ

... these Tape Images:
http://www.bbcmicro.com/?page_id=19&browse=educ

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Brilad wrote:Hi all

Just wondering about introducing my kids to computers.

Obviously I don't want to get them in to working an 8-bit computer only to go to school and wonder what these new-fangled PCs are with their "mice" and whatnot but I reckon some of the old BBC Micro stuff must still be of value/fun etc etc.

At the moment they are still too young but one of my children is starting to recognise letters so I am hoping to get memories/tips about pre-school stuff for the BBC.

I can stick it on an emulator and have 10-15 mins now and again.

Letters/Numbers/Pattern recognition type stuff.

Any ideas??

TIA
hi, i got my daughter a vtech leapster, and after using that a little bit (from aged 2) she picked up letters, colours and shapes really quickly. also the leap pads are great too, also gives them practise at holding pens.

but for teh beeb, i remember at school we had grannys garden, definitely worth hunting out and putting through an emu.