What games do people want to see features on?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Tellah

Projects!

Post by Tellah » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:04 am

EDIT: Just seen this is a thread about game features. oh well :-)

I would like to see a few mini projects that readers can take on.

I've always got a gaming project on the go and have completed the following as examples:

Created a MAME cabinet.
Created a TATE VGA dreamcast cabinet.
Created a portable super famicom.
Got translated Star Ocean working on my Super Famicom.
Modded a Pal SNES to multi-region / 60Hz.
Modded a Pal MD to multi-region / 60Hz.

I'd love to read about projects like this - this is why Archer's articles are my fav. The only problem with Archer's stuff is that it's not something everyday people can do.

I understand that a lot of this is on the web, and you don't want a technical manual, but if articles were written around the games it could make good reading.

e.g. I needed a DC VGA arcade for Psyvariar 2 and Ikaruga; 2 games that I'm sure people would like to read about.[/img]

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:35 pm

I like some of the last few articles in the magazine about 'why you should try....' . Uncovered some great gems which i'm sure most people will try

Again theres SOOO many games out there on systems that many of us didnt have, would like to see a top 10 'games to try' on some of the systems. I dont mean Super Mario Land on SNES, i mean 10 unknown games which arent too famous at all

Love finding a game on an emulator which i never really played before.

Panic Button

Post by Panic Button » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:33 am

I'd like to see an article on handheld arcade games from 1976 - 83 - which evolved from LED to VFD displays. Games such as Galaxy Invader 1000, Munchman, Scramble, the Coleco tabletops (Donkey Kong, Pacman, etc) representing a short but sweet period of time before most of us had a console or home computer. As retro as you can get when it comes to computer games!

dr_bob

Re:

Post by dr_bob » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:08 am

Panic Button wrote:I'd like to see an article on handheld arcade games from 1976 - 83 - which evolved from LED to VFD displays. Games such as Galaxy Invader 1000, Munchman, Scramble, the Coleco tabletops (Donkey Kong, Pacman, etc) representing a short but sweet period of time before most of us had a console or home computer. As retro as you can get when it comes to computer games!
I'm pretty sure there was an article a while back , but its definitely somthing I'd love to see again - I was collecting these for a while , I've a few of the Grandstand ones (Firefox F7, Scramble, Astrowars) and a few other randoms , plus all the Tomy 3D's bar Sherman attack (which is bloody hard to get hold off!).
If you ever see a tomy 3d at a carboot/garage sale/charity shop , its worth picking it up as the 3D effect is still VERY impressive today (especially on the thundering turbos, space attack models).
Its also worth having a gander at http://www.handheldmuseum.com/
(The 'thundering turbo's' instruction manual hosted there is a scan of mine too :) )

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:25 pm

The old article wasn't particularly comprehensive iirc. I'm also in the camp that would like a mini series on these, covering the various manufacturers and types of machines with detailed info on some of the definitive systems such as Astro Wars, BMX Flyer etc as well as some of the more exotic ones.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:31 pm

i still say bring back reader reviews. they were quite good. either that or a feature on the CHASE H.Q arcade game and subsiquent home versions or even a feature on TAITO themselves
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Panic Button

Post by Panic Button » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:06 pm

The old article wasn't particularly comprehensive iirc
Do you know which issue this was in? I might try and track it down on ebay.

FYI, a book 'Watson's 2007 - 2008 Price Guide for Vintage Electronic Games' has just been published on the subject. I bought a copy, and - I was very disappointed. It isn't a comprehensive list, it doesn't cover UK sold handhelds in any depth and it's poorly laid out and designed.

Come on Retrogamer - you can do better!

And how about an article on 3D games? You could chart their history from the 3D tomytronic handhelds and Coleco Zaxxon, through to the Vectrex 3D imager to the Nintendo Virtual Boy and beyond...

phantasy.star.ii

Post by phantasy.star.ii » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:50 pm

Splatterhouse 2 and 3 for Sega Genesis

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Wing Commander and C&C please!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:06 pm

It PS1 so I count it as retro....

Metal Gear Solid

Browncat

Post by Browncat » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:15 am

I really want to see some of Sid Meiers games covered (in the mag that is) particularly Civilization and Pirates. Also I know its been looked at a bit but I would love to see a catch up on the Rowland Brothers done in the style of the Zzap 64 diary that ran in the early 90s. It made them sound like rock stars to my naive 13 year old brain.

Also a bit less on the VC please although I might get stuff thrown at me for saying that.
I am the guy who speaks out from the eye.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:05 am

Browncat wrote:I really want to see some of Sid Meiers games covered (in the mag that is) particularly Civilization and Pirates. Also I know its been looked at a bit but I would love to see a catch up on the Rowland Brothers done in the style of the Zzap 64 diary that ran in the early 90s. It made them sound like rock stars to my naive 13 year old brain.

Also a bit less on the VC please although I might get stuff thrown at me for saying that.
I've tried a couple of times to interview the Rowlands, but no joy...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:14 am

I covered Creatures a while back for Retro Gamer (#24, I think), and am in occasional contact with John. I have an interview slated with the lads this coming year, but it won't be for a while—John's busy with his new company and Steve's in the US, again being rather busy. Keep watching the skies (pages), though.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Space Harrier( Arcade ), Panzer Dragoon( Saturn or PC-CDROM ) or Galaxy Force( all formats! ).

Panzer Dragoon in perticular as its the only game I've played when the opening of Level one grabbed me by the goolies and made me scream for more! The sound track was absolutely brilliant.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:33 am

I would to see a feature on either 'Pippo' on the Sinclair Spectrum,
'Mr Wimpy' on the Sinclair Spectrum or 'A Day In The Life Of Sir Clive Sinclair' on the Sinclair Spectrum. :D

What does everyone else think?