Sega Saturn and Neo-Geo

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stanvan

Sega Saturn and Neo-Geo

Post by stanvan » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:45 am

I'm not sure if a retro-feature has been done yet, but a nice, long in-depth feature on the Saturn and the Neo-Geo would be wonderful! :D

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:29 am

There's some nice Neo Geo content coming very soon. ;)

Seany

Post by Seany » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:02 am

Indeed. If you like a certain popular 2D fighting franchise which began on the Neo, then something I am putting together in the near future should excite you as well!

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:10 am

Ash wrote:There's some nice Neo Geo content coming very soon. ;)
Nice :D

I wish I could actually afford one though... still almost as expensive as when they were released! AES that is.
真・豪鬼

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:25 am

I would like to learn more about the Sega Saturn... I barely heard of it when it was out.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:44 pm

Cornelius wrote:I would like to learn more about the Sega Saturn... I barely heard of it when it was out.
It's my favourite Sega console as it has loads of amazing shmups and Panzer Dragoon Saga on it.

There you go 8)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:52 am

Actually I wouldn't mind a little Saturn Feature myself.

It was one of the few consoles I never really invested any time or money in (largely because I was a student at the time and my pitiful income went on lager, chemical enlightenment, and the odd PS1 game).

Just started emulating it and it would be nice to see some of the consoles high points and recommended software.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:59 am

I'm very fond of the Saturn too, had some excellent conversions in the range of Virtua games, and original ideas such as the incredible NiGHTS and Burning Rangers. Head into the Japanese sector and you'll discover some awesome titles that originally never made it our shores.

It also boasted some of the best multiplayer experiences ever. 6-player Guardian Heroes was a complete blast and if you had a couple of multi-taps and enough joypads, you could get up to TEN players around the TV on Saturn Bomberman. This was pretty much unheard of in the industry at the time.

Really need to pick up another myself, as I only have one (which is really my Brother's) back in England, which unfortunately was prone to overheating.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:12 am

I particularly want to try out Saturn Bomberman, Parodius, Silhouette Mirage and NiGHTS Into Dreams. Also to generally see what the controllers are like. I saw some youtube clips of them and they look deadly 8)

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:25 am

The JAP/European Saturn controllers are IMO the best ever joypads. The American ones, not so good.

They were re-released recently for the PS2 and PC, I'd really like to track some down as Play Asia and Lik Sang are sold out.

My favourite Saturn game was Night Warriors : Darkstalkers Revenge. The loading times wern't too bad and the conversion was almost arcade perfect.

Nowadays though, Radiant Silvergun is my favourite Saturn game. It's a work of genius.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:50 am

I got Battle Garegga, Dodonpachi and Dracula X for Saturn the other day - words are not enough. I just wish I could speak Japanese so I can understand whats happening in Dracula X, my jap only covers counting 1-20 and telling the time...

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:04 am

What do you think of Garegga, Oli? Opinion on that game is so divided. I personally think it's pretty poor, the 'invisible' bullets being unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. I also don't like the Rank feature. But alot of people over at shmups.com swear it's an astounding game. :?

oli_lar

Re:

Post by oli_lar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:57 pm

hand_solo wrote:What do you think of Garegga, Oli? Opinion on that game is so divided. I personally think it's pretty poor, the 'invisible' bullets being unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. I also don't like the Rank feature. But alot of people over at shmups.com swear it's an astounding game. :?
I agree on both - the small-grey-almost-invisible bullets are a right pig to avoid, sometimes you die and you think 'what just happened?' Maybe its just something that you have to get used to - it does say so in the Retro Gamer review. I'll give it a few more tries soon. I love Dodonpachi however - if not more for the music and voice acting than the game itself!

Layer Sections still the best Saturn SHMUP for me :)

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 pm

DoDonpachi is consistently voted the greatest shooter ever each year in the shmups poll. Personally I prefer ESPgaluda and Progear by Cave, and the Treasure shooters. Have you played Silvergun?

Utini

Post by Utini » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Given that original intention of all Shmups was to consume all of your available coinage is it any wonder they're impossible?
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!