Cleaning N64 Cartridges

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RivaOni

Cleaning N64 Cartridges

Post by RivaOni » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:08 am

A few months back my local Gamestation decided to sell all their unboxed cartridges for £1 so naturally I picked up what I thought were good and got some amazing bargains.

Anyway, I also picked up Conkers Bad Fur Day, I noticed that the card bit that slots into the console was a bit grimey looking, it had some white and green stuff on it, which I assume is oxidation, and have tried giving a clean using WD40, but it wont shift, I dont know the first thing about anything like this however, so would anyone be willing to shed some light on how to get it working as with it in the state its in, my N64 wont run it. Either that or would someone be able to repair it for me? Its not a big loss at £1 but I still want to play it, wouldnt of bought it otherwise ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:36 am

Time to raid the girlfriends supplies.

Use some nail varnish remover to clean the contacts. If it still doesn't work after that, go for the industrial solution - nick one of her emery boards (you know - the sandpaper nail file things) and use it to lightly scrub the contacts. This will remove the surface, so its a destructive process you don't want to do too hard or too often, but its very effective.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:40 am

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:44 am

Thanks muchly, I'll give the nail varnish remover a try for a start

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:47 am

If that doesn't work, try Methylated Spirits (I believe you Brits call it Isopropyl) and a q-tip. Rub Hard until you see the grime coming off. Repeat until all the grime is removed and contacts are shiny. Wait a while before testing, so the liquid can dry. I've resurrected a few carts this way.
真・豪鬼

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:57 am

Don't know if it works with N64 carts but I used to regularly revive my NES carts (and the cart slot for that matter) with nothing more potent or abrasive than a simple pencil eraser.

Works really well for getting rid of grease and grime and causes no damage to the contacts whatsoever. Its best where possible to try to avoid using cleaning fluids or abrasive scrubbing to clean a cart as repeated use will eventually kill it.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:14 am

I wouldnt suggest putting your N64 cart in it (if you have one) but i tend to find to clean other things, eg clothes/pants/trousers/shirts you should get yourself a 'magic basket'.

I used to have one when i lived at home, put stuff in it, a few days later hey presto everythings washed/cleaned and hanging up in my wardrobe. Amazing !!! Still dont know how they work to this day.

The magic basket has mysteriously stopped working however since i left home though. Perhaps it only works in my parents house. Odd. I put stuff in the magic basket now and still days later its in there and not cleaned/ironed.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Shin_Gouki wrote:If that doesn't work, try Methylated Spirits (I believe you Brits call it Isopropyl) and a q-tip.

I've never heard it called Isopropyl before.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:54 pm

And we tend to call 'q-tips' cotton buds.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:25 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Shin_Gouki wrote:If that doesn't work, try Methylated Spirits (I believe you Brits call it Isopropyl) and a q-tip.

I've never heard it called Isopropyl before.
Because it isn't.

Methylated Spirits and Isopropyl Alcohol are different. Meths is a generic term for a range of chemicals that have a similar base, where Isopropyl is a specific chemical.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:48 am

Isopropyl alcohol is a semi-volatile chemical mainly used in cleaning solutions including disk heads (it's the chemical I use to clean my 1541) and in 1-1-1 form, was the main component of Tippex thinner (remember that?).

I use it to clean cartridge contacts also, gets stuff off very well. DO NOT blow on contacts as certain chemicals in human breath can speed up the corrosion process.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...