Best Ever Budget Title? (or your favourite)

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Best Ever Budget Title? (or your favourite)

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:08 pm

I dont know if RG has covered budget titles in the early issues, but since these formed the bulk of my early game library, I'm guessing a lot of other people bought quite a lot of them back in the 80s and 90s, and think it would make a nice article. Could cover not just 8bit mastertronic tapes, but ps1 platinum re-releases or even iphone games - essentially anything that's great value for money and that people loved.

My favourite would have to be Finder Keeper on Amstrad 464. It was the first budget game I played that wasnt awful - it was infact rather good - and it basically made me believe that £1.99 games might have a future. (I enjoyed all the magic knight games in fact).

What's you favourite?

Mayhem

Re: Best Ever Budget Title? (or your favourite)

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Thrust on the C64. Is there really any other game that could possibly beat that for value for money?!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I can't believe Mayhem said exactly the same as I was going to say!!!

Thrust on the C64 - still play it now! Fantastic game.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:03 am

on the speccy:-

Rebelstar 1 (and 2) by Firebird
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:56 am

i was tempted to put Thrust, but I found it very very hard.

Does anyone also remember the non- classic Firedbird 'Dont Buy This' collection of reject games?

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:33 am

Does anyone remember the PSone's Value Series? Old platinum games and newer, nearly-platinum games lowered in price to just under a tenner. As games were beginning to get more expensive, some of the stuff brought out in the Value Series range - like Gran Turismo, Bust-A-Move 2, Bishi Bashi Special and Ape Escape - was bloody brilliant.

I'd say the best of the lot was Hogs of War. That has massive reply value - it still gets put on when my mates come round.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 am

Any of those cheap D3 Publisher games that you can find in supermarkets for the PS2. Bad games but so much fun to collect and hilariously quirky.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 am

Zybex on the Atari 8bit (it had a release on the c64 and spectrum as well)
For the atari it was probably the best horizontal shooter on the system , and one of the few "modern ones" i.e. powerups and bosses etc.
It looked fantastic , sounded great and had an ingenious control system.It would have been a brilliant full price game so the fact that it was a budget title was unreal!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:56 am

Practically every game got re-released as a budget title at some point or another, so I think you'd have to draw a distinction between those and the ones that were originally released at a low price. Since the former just boils down to the best games minus an arbitrary few that weren't re-released, I won't dwell on it.

Anyway, for the latter category, some of my favourites were:

The Wild Bunch - Bizarre hybrid adventure written in BASIC with crappy graphics yet strangely compelling.
Nonterraqueous - Utterly enormous Sabre Wulf clone with a sci-fi theme and with an ending worth persevering for.
Viking Raiders - A simple strategy game, written in BASIC, that has surprising depth. Great with multiple players.
Amaurote - Isometric bouncing bomb bug-infestation clearout.
Zub - Minimalist platformer with moving platforms and relentless enemies.
Rebelstar/Rebelstar 2 - Great strategy games that eventually evolved into Laser Squad.
Spellbound/Knight Tyme/Stormbringer - Honorable ancestors to the point and click adventure.
Feud - It's another Sabre Wulf clone, I suppose, but brilliantly done and with some nice twists.
Thrust - Having never seen Gravitar at the time this was totally out there.
Run Baby Run - A top down racer where you try to get your pursuers to crash into each other. Elegant simplicity.

If I had to pick just one, it'd be Viking Raiders.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:09 am

My favourite cpc budget games were...
Mission Genocide - Firebird
Storm - Mastertronic
Ninja - Entertainment USA
Destructo - Bulldog(one of my fave games ever)
Flyspy - Mastertronic
Wizards Lair - Bubble Bus. :)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:24 am

My fav (and considered the best by me) budget title, is Qwak on the Amiga.
I love the cutesy characters and fast game play which kept me going back for more, for many years.
There's something about this game that makes it look like a full priced game, despite it being a straight to budget release. It shows quality from start to finish.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 am

Seadog74, you old dog... you beat me too it with Destructo, brilliant budget game! Since that choice has gone, I choose Terra Cognita.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:36 am

One of my favourites has to be Slayer on the C64, an excellent scrolling shoot 'em up for three quid no less! Most of Rack-It's C64 output was worth a look actually, especially if you were into blasting stuff - Subterranea, Battle Valley and Scorpion were all good for that and Anarchy was some cool shooty puzzle stuff. =-)

Other budget favourites include Kikstart (Mastertronic, C16 [1]), Warhawk (Firebird, C64), Scout (Mastertronic, C64), Chronos (Mastertronic, Spectrum), Killer Cobra (Mastertronic, Amstrad CPC), GWNN (Mastertronic, C16), Motos (Mastertronic, various), Thunderbolt (Codemasters, C64), Transmuter (Codemasters, Spectrum), Revenge of the Mutant Camels 2 (Mastertronic, C64) or Starforce Nova (Mastertronic, C64 [2]) but there's plenty more where those came from...

[1] Not the same thing as the C64 game and my personal favourite of the two.
[2] The C16 plays pretty much identically, but the C64 gets the Mark Cooksey soundtrack - got to love shooting aliens to a Donna Summer cover! =-)

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:28 pm

woody.cool wrote:Qwak on the Amiga.
Seconded. Great game.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Fingers Malone Commodore 16
Probally most of the Commodore 16 budget games.. Powerball, Tomcat, Tutti Frutti, Mr Puniverse, Autozone, Storm, Terra Cognita completed them all back in the day..

New budget games the three 505 game Street games, I own.. Demolition Girl, Gunbird Collection and Dragon Sisters.. Which I had in the three for £5, if only I had picked Dragon Blaze and Raiden 3 up:(
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"