Paul Woakes and Mercenary would be great (did ask before x-)

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mort

Paul Woakes and Mercenary would be great (did ask before x-)

Post by Mort » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:30 pm

What do you guys think, I think another fantastic article could come out of this, with the followups as extra material such as Damocles,Mercenary 3. I know I asked before but pretty please :lol:
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Quaid

Post by Quaid » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Absolutely agree,Mort. Mercenary feature would be excellent, and really interesting.

I remember buying it on the Speccy – graphics looked censored on the box, but once you got to Targ the adventure just kept getting better and better.

Who could forget the excitement of finding the 747 in the hanger in the middle of nowhere and then flying it back over the city?

Come on Darran, you know it makes sense :)
"There was a time that was all the money in the world to me, now it's a day's pay...

MattC

Post by MattC » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Mercenary was an amazing game which was years ahead of it's time. It was one of the first truly expansive, open-ended 1st person 3D games and probably the first time a full-size city had ever been modelled in 3 dimensions in a computer game (but don't quote me on that!)

Admittedly the unfilled wireframe graphics looked very basic but when you were moving around the city the sparse graphics scarcely mattered and meant at least semi-reasonable framerates (although they wouldn't cut the mustard with the Quake 4 crowd). You could enter (some) buildings, explore vast underground complexes, collect objects, fly aircraft - back then it was a totally immersive experience and the sense of freedom was huge.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:24 pm

Even today,I think we've yet to see a game with as much freedom as this one
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:54 am

I remember spending a lot of time playing Mercenary and the second city on my ATARI 800XL!

It's one of the first games I've ever played that drew you into the game world. Before I played this no graphics based games came close to doing this, only text adventures had the same ability to 'pull you in'.

paranoid marvin wrote:Even today,I think we've yet to see a game with as much freedom as this one
I agree.

Basicaly the plot went.... Ok you crashed on this planet. Now get off!
How you did this was left entirely to you, there were no linier plot driven events used atoll.
You did have to do some things before other things happened, but that's not the same as the linier plots of a lot of todays games.

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:22 am

Although I love Mercenary, I think Encounter is Woakes's best game.
It's still a stunning shooter, although derided by some as just a Battlezone clone.

lavalyte

Re:

Post by lavalyte » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:24 pm

Rockford wrote:Although I love Mercenary, I think Encounter is Woakes's best game.
It's still a stunning shooter, although derided by some as just a Battlezone clone.
And *fast*, too.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

PanzerGeneral

Re: Paul Woakes and Mercenary would be great (did ask before x-)

Post by PanzerGeneral » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Mercenary was a great game and would make for an excellent feature. It would be good to hear from Mr Woakes himself (an update for the PC would be nice!).

When I purchased the original for my Atari - It blew my bollocks off!, It was a good time to own an Atari - Rescue on Fractalus, The Eidolon, Bounty Bob Strikes Back - etc, etc, etc.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:57 am

Loved Mercenary on the Speccy and Damocles (and the mission disks) on the Amiga. I never owned Mercenary III at the time and have only had a cursory play of it under emulation.

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:21 pm

He used to live (or at least work) in Moseley (brum) iirc, I'm sure my mate had work experience there with him and has an airport named after him in Damocles.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:33 pm

I know one of the writers has tried a couple of times to secure a Paul Woakes/Novagen feature but it just hasn't happened... yet.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube