Ideas For Retro Gamer

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Drisk

Ideas For Retro Gamer

Post by Drisk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi, Huge fan of the mag and have been collecting them since day one (including pre image publishing). It's so great to have that kind of excitement again, with waiting for the next issue to hit the shops... The last time I had that was back when the magazine Arcade came out.

Anyway I just had a couple of ideas for the mag and would love to know your views...

1/ I think a dedicated page of just the screenshots of the retrobate reviews would be good. So you choose a topic such as 'Best Platform Games' and then show a screenshot, Game Title, year and Platform (possibly retrobate posted by profile name) for each. So essentially like the games index on your web page but in the magazine. This will not only give me cross over between site and web page and encorage more people to post reviews. But also I think it would be an interesting page to glance over.

Of course you could do countless different groupings of games selected ...

Best XXXXXX Games - Genre Grouping i.e Best Racing Games
Best 19XX Games - Year Grouping i.e. Best Releases in 1987
Best XXXXXX Games you probably never heard of - Uknown classics i.e. Best Platform Games you Never heard of
Best XXXXXX Releses - Publisher or Developer Grouping i.e. Best Konami Games
Best XXXXXX Games - Platform Grouping i.e. Best Amiga Games
Best XXXXXX Games to Play - General Grouping.. I.e. Best Party Games

Well you get the idea

2/ This has probably been suggested and probably has legal reasons why it can't be done... But a page or two in the magazine out of an old Image Publishing owned magazine. An original review of a fondly remembered game, News page or interview from yester-year will be really good read.

3/ This is actually more for the website ... I love the Retro gadgets section you are doing in the mag (where you show retro themed goodies)... Ithink a place on your website that store all these items shown each issue would be really handy especially if you had links to those vendors. You could also place in here retro books released and whether they are any good or not.

4/ In the Spectrum days I used to love the Jet Pac cartoons in the mag. Showing these again or even better coming up with brand new ones for different retro charectors would be superb.

5/ A page with a retro quiz so we can test ourselves and see how bad we really are with our retro knowledge.

6/ Another one possibly more for the website ... A section which has how to guides for emulator related things. So for example how to replace a battery clock on a console, or how to play non UK games on a console or how to play a non UK console in the UK. Even the build an Arcade cabinet Retro Gamer did ages and ages ago would be good.

7/ Instead of doing a 2 page review with a huge screenshot.. Why not do it showing the review, box of the game (front), back of the box (or inlay), advert and screenshot. It doesnt have to be all of it but a straight picture of the box (not a sterile scan of the cardboard inlay) and the screenshot would be a lot more intersting to look at in my opinion and really get the nostalgia juices flowing.

Thanks Again for the magazine as it the only mag I bother to get these days (well occassionally I flirt with your sister mag Game).

ShoryuKeith

Re: Ideas For Retro Gamer

Post by ShoryuKeith » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:14 am

It would be great on the website if we could use more than one screenshot for each game.
Kobushi o Kiwameshi Mono

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:29 pm

I had slightly wacky idea that certainly wouldn't go down well with all the forum integration haters...

How about having a small section (no more than a half/third of a page) where some of the more active/long term forum members are interviewed on what their favourite games, genres etc. are. Perhaps even a pic. Could be done via PM's.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShoryuKeith

Post by ShoryuKeith » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:51 am

I think another cool idea would be to show what games people have viewed and commented on. At the moment on retrobate profiles it says:-

Number of comments posted: 8

it'd be cool to click on a link to see which games they've commented on.
Kobushi o Kiwameshi Mono

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 am

Can I suggest that a Mod moves this into the Magazine feedback section
Megamixer wrote:How about having a small section (no more than a half/third of a page) where some of the more active/long term forum members are interviewed on what their favourite games, genres etc. are. Perhaps even a pic. Could be done via PM's.
Ha ha - sounds cool, im happy to talk about my love of 8-bit Strip Poker games, not sure you want to see a pic of me playing them when I was a kid though :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:30 am

I think it would be great to have Collector's Corner back to its original size.

takesages

Post by takesages » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:30 am

Megamixer wrote: How about having a small section (no more than a half/third of a page) where some of the more active/long term forum members are interviewed on what their favourite games, genres etc. are. Perhaps even a pic. Could be done via PM's.
I like the Let's Play... stuff dood but I'm not so sure listening to people from the forums would work quite that well... what do they have to say that experienced writers can't? If I want my fill of opinon than the forums are brilliant, but I think they should stay out of the magazine unless the games remain the largest focus.

The forum is here to supplement the magazine content, not replace it!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:32 am

Some quick replies from a contributor standpoint:

- Not sure what you mean by a "page or two in the magazine out of an old Image Publishing owned magazine". Imagine isn't that old, and I think if Retro Gamer added reprint from any time in the last five years or so, there'd be hell to pay. As for reprint from retro magazines, Imagine would have to secure the rights, which would either be potentially expensive or be a nightmare. (For example, last time I spoke to Roger Kean, he had no idea who currently held the rights to things like Zzap! and Crash, with the exception of artwork.)

- Techie guides. I think these are a good idea, but the mag's not the place for them unless there's a USP. (For example, building a cab is of interest, since it's not an everyday activity. Getting CCS64 working, however, doesn't deserve space in the mag.) However, a dedicated technical thread on the forum would likely prove useful, if there's not one here already.

- The retro revival spreads including things like the boxes and reviews, adverts and so on... I rather like this, but I suspect it'd ramp up the 'cost' of the pages, and securing artwork at a high enough quality could prove tricky. Still, for those rare games where that's possible, it'd make a nice change for sure. (Reviews, on the other hand, wouldn't be possible in their entirety for rights reasons.)

- Forum stuff. I pretty much agree with takesages. An exception would be to replace the bio box in the letters pages with a very short Q&A, but I'd be irritated to see a page or more with people rattling off answers to a generic list of questions.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:15 pm

One thing I would like to see less of in the magazine is the amount of needless repetitive focus that is bestowed upon the same small band of designers, games and machines.
There is an absolute wealth of material that has not been covered by the mag as of yet, where are the features on the TI/99/4a, Tandy Colour Computers 1,2 and 3, Memotech, Enterprise and Colour Genie to name but a few. You seem to have no trouble with 10 features on the megadrive, Matt Smith, John Hare etc - so come on guys, get of your buttocks and try something a bit different! (as much as I love Elite - is there anything else to be said on the game?).

It's not all negative - some of the Retroinspections have been excellent, I'm thinking particularly about the Archimedes, QL, Electron and C16. It's good to show people there were systems other than the C64 and Speccy.

P.S - also loved the level9 and Sierra features.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:22 pm

PanzerGeneral wrote:where are the features on the TI/99/4a, Tandy Colour Computers 1,2 and 3, Memotech, Enterprise and Colour Genie to name but a few.
Although I don't fully agree with you (there is always room for articles about Megadrives, Spectrums and C64's) I can't help but think on this you are right. I love retro gamer most when it educates me about machines I never experienced, and it has on many occasions inspired me to buy the machines I have read about.
The Enterprise computer has always fascinated me... never managed to get hold of one, but one day I will.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 am

There are a few things worth noting, however, when it comes to 'popular' stuff:

1. More popular games and systems lead to higher sales, extending the life of the magazine, and ensuring obscure content can be covered, albeit with less frequency.

2. Truly obscure content requires someone knowledgeable enough to write about it. The majority of the magazine's content is down to people pitching ideas to Darran and Stuart. I'm sure if someone pitched a feature on the Obscure-o-tron IV that was suitably interesting, and the person pitching could prove their competence, it'd get commissioned.

3. While there is repetition in terms of people interviewed in the magazine, frequency in people's minds is often totally at odds with reality. I suspect this might be down to Retro Gamer back issues being read and explored more often than with other magazines. Also, when it comes to interviews, there are limitations on the basis of who will speak to us. Personally, I'd love to get insight into Andrew Braybrook's great games and those by Peter Harrap, but neither person seems terribly interested. By contrast, Jon Hare, Eugene Jarvis, and some others are excited and interested in exploring the past, and they've worked on games whose inclusion in the mag can be justified every time.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:38 pm

What about a retroinspection of all the Superman games? Yes, they might all be crap (I played the N64 version last week.....I'm scarred for life!) but there are quite a few. The arcade game by Taito was by far the best, imho. Either that or a comic book game article, what with all the Batman, Spiderman and X-Men games that are out there.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:50 am

You will have to do a Mac related feature soon, surely. I know it didn't have that many games on it(and still doesn't taking a look at the games released for OS X), but hey it is an idea.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:23 am

Anyone interested in exploring the history of Apple gaming should check out the current issue of games™. Issue 90 has my six-page feature "Fruit Machine" in the Retro section, charting Apple gaming from the Apple II through to the present day, with commentary from Dan Gorlin, John Romero, and others. They also managed to find the grubbiest Mac Plus I've ever seen for the photoshoot.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:25 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Getting CCS64 working, however, doesn't deserve space in the mag.) However, a dedicated technical thread on the forum would likely prove useful, if there's not one here already.
Wasn't there a legal reason to that as well.Instance where would a person go about acquiring the bioses legally?
JetSetWilly wrote:What about a retroinspection of all the Superman games? Yes, they might all be crap (I played the N64 version last week.....I'm scarred for life!) but there are quite a few. The arcade game by Taito was by far the best, imho. Either that or a comic book game article, what with all the Batman, Spiderman and X-Men games that are out there.
Great idea.Be nice to see a history of the marvel/capcom games..
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.