Game posters & adverts.

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Game posters & adverts.

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Image

Print retro game adverts for games featured elsewhere - maybe 2 or 3 - throughout the mag eg. Dizzy, Spy Hunter, Altered Beast so on - especially the ones that state "Best Graphics ever seen..." etc and those that give the games price (2.99 Spectrum/CPC) :)

Todays flashy next-gen ads don`t seem to have the humour or artwork level.

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6391
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by merman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:32 pm

RG used to include old adverts... in fact, during the first eighteen issues under Live Publishing, that was a regular feature. There have been more ads featured since, with an arcade flyer/advertising page.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by SirClive » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:58 am

In the Liver era it was a section at the back of the mag (a section that I really liked), but I would like to see them randomly added though like Eric suggests. Just turn a page and see an ad from the 80's with no explaination or anything. That would give a real nostalgic feel.
Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:17 am

SirClive wrote:In the Liver era it was a section at the back of the mag (a section that I really liked), but I would like to see them randomly added though like Eric suggests. Just turn a page and see an ad from the 80's with no explaination or anything. That would give a real nostalgic feel.

I agree - loved those old ads - could be used as 'filler' , so it wouldnt cost RG any resources, but it would be enetrtaining filler
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
Greyfox
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Greyfox » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 am

me too...loved them..and actually didn't notice until it was mentioned by Eric...so RG..you know..we want it back..rather than them fillers - Dungeons & Dragons ads you keep putting in..nobody plays them anymore :lol: ..we want more game for our buck..

gives me an idea..hmmmmm...
Last edited by Greyfox on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26702
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 pm

I had noticed they'd gone, as I always identified with them as part of the mag's overall style. They used to get a lot of moans too, but they went from full page to 4 on a page which was too small to be readable, then they mostly disappeared. I missed them but assumed I was in a minority so let it go.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
XFile2708
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 am
Location: Billingham, Teesside

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by XFile2708 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Eric wrote:Image

Print retro game adverts for games featured elsewhere - maybe 2 or 3 - throughout the mag eg. Dizzy, Spy Hunter, Altered Beast so on - especially the ones that state "Best Graphics ever seen..." etc and those that give the games price (2.99 Spectrum/CPC) :)

Todays flashy next-gen ads don`t seem to have the humour or artwork level.
Thanks for posting that one matey - im in the middle of printing out some retro artwork for my games-room and Renegade was one of my favourite games on the 464... so this will definately be printed and framed :D

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14923
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 pm

It was cool when RG printed various game posters at the end of the 'Top 25' features that ran a while back, especially those for the beat em' ups which we probably wouldn't have seen outside of Japan.

How about a poster or two for Barbarian? :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by SirClive » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:01 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I had noticed they'd gone, as I always identified with them as part of the mag's overall style. They used to get a lot of moans too, but they went from full page to 4 on a page which was too small to be readable, then they mostly disappeared. I missed them but assumed I was in a minority so let it go.
I think they got complaints cos there was about 6 or 8 pages per mag all in one place. I reckon 2 or 3 pages spread through the mag would just add to its charm.
Image

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:38 am

SirClive wrote: I reckon 2 or 3 pages spread through the mag would just add to its charm.
Yeh, 2-3 full page ads throught the mag, as I would buy some games based purely on the artwork. :D
Also the ads instantly bring back memories of playing the games and of course make you want to play them again.
Load 66 as a small flyer for Spy Hunter, but a full page version would be nice.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26702
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:17 pm

I did like it when they tied it to a featured game, so you'd get an article alongside the ad.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Eric » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:14 pm

A selection of retro ads...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Eric » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:21 pm

A selection of retro beat'em-up ads...

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
XFile2708
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 am
Location: Billingham, Teesside

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by XFile2708 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:21 am

Thanks for posting those up matey :D

User avatar
Seadog74
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Crow's nest

Re: Game posters & adverts.

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:46 pm

I remember the poster for the game "Game Over" very well. Anyone got that one?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest