The System/Computer you owned for the least time?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Timothy Lumsden

The System/Computer you owned for the least time?

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Which system did you have for the shortest time when you bought it back in the day? And also why? Was it rubbish, did it break? Something new caught your eye?

Mine is a dead heat between my zx81 and C16 both of which I (well me and my brother) only kept for 5 months before selling on. In both cases we got the computers at the end of their lifecycles and the games had dried up. In retrospect, I wish we'd kept the c16 for longer as it actually turned out to have a decent back catalog - but we were impatient kids back then.

(I also bought a Atari 2600 last year on ebay that broke on first use as the idiot sent the wrong power pack - lovely flames - wood effect lucklily doesnt burn as well as real wood! :shock: )

jdanddiet

Re: The System/Computer you owned for the least time?

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:51 pm

well i don't want to start another argument :lol: :lol: but i bought an N64 from game a year or so after it came out, basically played through goldeneye a couple of times and was so unimpressed with the other games i purchased, I sold it 2 months later.

I don't like cutesy games so it was in hindsight a poor buy

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:59 pm

I had a 3DO for 4 days after buying it on eBay. I didn't play it after realising it was just a rubbish Saturn. I got my money back and broke even when I re-sold it.

I'm desperately wanting another, though.
Thoughts and prayers.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm

I hadI had a 48k Spectrum (rubber keyed) for about a month, it broke :(

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Got a PS2 a few years after release, and did very little with it, totally uninspiring for some reason, and then the laser broke. Got another one more recently, again did very little with it, now the laser has broke...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:53 am

Had a Spectrum 128k given to me when I was a kid. It didn't get anywhere near as much use as my NES so it was sold off in a car boot shortly after :(

EDIT: I just realised that I owned the N64 for an even shorter time. Bought it for a fiver + 3 games from a mate in school (he needed fag money!)... Realised it wasn't that great at all and ended up selling it on a few days later for twenty five quid!
Last edited by Rinoa on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:31 am

Had a Vic20 for 1 day - the RF modulator didn't work (did get a new one so I guess it doesn't count)

Prob the shortest time is the GP2X
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:45 am

SNES for me. Got it at Christmas, sold it maybe a year or two later as my sis wanted her half of its worth. We only had 3 games for it so it didn't get used much. £40 for a cartridge compared to a tenner for an ST disk was no competition. And copies were impossible on the SNES (well, as far as I knew at the time).

Second shortest will be around 20+ years or so of ownership with my ZX81, as I still have all my other systems but sold the '81 to SirClive recently.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am

would probably say my psp, bought it from some guy at uni, but just didn't play it enough so i traded it in towards my rock band kit. will probably get a new one soon enough
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 am

The console I owned for the shortest amount of time was my Japanese Playstation I got last year. I got it around January and then in December I accidently plugged it into the mains without first putting it through a step down adapter. The way the smoke emerged from the consoles shell was pretty cool though.

Second shortest was my first Supergun, which I sold after a couple of years as I got a Neo Geo AES (The supergun was primarily used with an MVS setup). I've since got a newer supergun (mainly for Jamma/CPS2 games) which is even better than the last one so I don't regret selling it, I do however regret selling some of the MVS games I had (Real Bout 2, LB2, Matrimelee)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 am

A PSP for a few months then decided I had too many systems. Now wouldn't mind one again so I could install Caprice32 on it, nevermind.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:09 am

Sharp mz80 for me.
Went up in smoke after about an hour.ive still got it but havent the heart to throw it out.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Thinking more logically about this, the shortest I've owned any system is currently less than 4 months, as I only got my 360 at Christmas ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Probably my VCS. I think had it about a year. I was never very impressed with it, so as soon as I saw a Vic-20 I sold the VCS and got one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Atari Jaguar:Had so few quality games,i went through `em all in a few months.

PS2-won mine,when they were £300,kept it for 6 months,then bought an xbox+dolby 5.1 sound system.then?year ago?given another ps2 and 40+ games for nothing.Result. :lol: