Can we have a calendar with the Xmas issue please?

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gizmo1990

Can we have a calendar with the Xmas issue please?

Post by gizmo1990 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:10 pm

I've posted this every so often, where appropriate, in other threads. Only to be met with stoney silence...

So here's a big bold thread all of its own! It's probably too late now but hey, what the heck. If it is then surely it's already happening as its the most obvious thing in the entire universe!?

A nice calender along the lines of the one a few years back, Oli Frey paintings, classic covers, you get the picture. One of the greatest features of mags from yesteryear were the free gifts in the Xmas issues.

Are we getting one? If so yay! If not boo and WHY not?

Totaljapon

Post by Totaljapon » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:57 am

Nice Idea!

A retro looking calendar. :)

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:21 am

Ehh, not that interested, to be honest. I never used those calenders. I generally know what year it is anyhow. As for freebies in general, I tend to see them as cluttery junk that takes up space because I can't bring myself to dump them. The day Retro Gamer comes in a poly bag is the day... um... is the day I'll still buy it but with much muttering.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

CraigGrannell

Re: Can we have a calendar with the Xmas issue please?

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:23 am

gizmo1990 wrote:If not boo and WHY not?
Because it was suck budget from other areas that are more important.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:30 am

Sell it then. I bought both of this year's calendars - one from WGTV and another limited run retro gaming one from RLLMUK. The WGTV one is the more functional of the two, but the RLLMUK one is simply stunning to look at - I love this calendar.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gizmo1990

Post by gizmo1990 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:41 pm

Dunjohn wrote:I never used those calenders. I generally know what year it is anyhow.
That right there is a great post.
CraigGrannell wrote:
gizmo1990 wrote:If not boo and WHY not?
Because it was suck budget from other areas that are more important.
I don't see this as a contributing factor at all. RG is niche but from what I've heard, has a resonable readership size. Plus at £5 a pop it's hardly a £2.99 throwaway job..

No, I don't see any reason why a calendar couldn't be done. However, if a member of the editorial staff could reply with knowledge of RG's dwindling coffers and lack of time, then perhaps I'll understand. Strider...?

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 am

I got the RLLMUK one - it's on wall in my games room. I know they are doing their best on that forum to create interest for another one.

Tell me more about the WGTV one...yohooo SirClive....

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:02 am

We did a WG one last year. It is basically the top games from our Games For A Pound competition. Voting starts very soon on this years shortlist, so I don't know what games will be on it, but there is an example of the 2008 one here...
http://weekend-gamer.co.uk/forum/viewto ... f=16&t=371

It will be pretty similar to that but with different games I should think.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:59 am

gizmo1990 wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Because it was suck budget from other areas that are more important.
I don't see this as a contributing factor at all. RG is niche but from what I've heard, has a resonable readership size. Plus at £5 a pop it's hardly a £2.99 throwaway job.. No, I don't see any reason why a calendar couldn't be done. However, if a member of the editorial staff could reply with knowledge of RG's dwindling coffers and lack of time, then perhaps I'll understand. Strider...?
Er, it's nothing to do with 'dwindling coffers', but the fact that Retro Gamer has a set monthly budget. In order to design and create a calendar that's not entirely advertorial focussed, you'd need to design it and pay for it.

Designing it would require the designer working on the calendar instead of on the magazine, during months that have short turnarounds (the Christmas issues typically have two- or three-week turnarounds, rather than four). End result: blander design for the magazine itself.

To pay for it, the freelance budget would have to be cut, during a period where the in-house staff are already finding it really tough to get things done (still having to put out the mag, but in three-quarters or half the time). End result: worse editorial.

That's not to say that there won't be a calendar ever again (or even this year—I don't actually know what Darran's plans are), but if there isn't one, the reasons above will be why.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com