32x Retroinspection

Pitch your ideas and suggestions for Retro Gamer Magazine here.

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fred83

32x Retroinspection

Post by Fred83 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Let me know if this was done already in the mag,has anyone owned one of these?,what are they like?

thl

Post by thl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Never had one of those, but it didn't last very long and few games were made for it.

adrianbean

Post by adrianbean » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:10 am

Hi Fred83,

Own a couple of these, but very rarely played them. Games were few and far between and some go for ridiculous money.

If I were you, I'd stick to one of the Mega Drive emulators, which also emulate the 32x.

ADe (adrianbean)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:53 am

I have owned one.

They are rubbish.

The games are also rubbish (well, most of them).

The 32X also has some of the rarest titles in it's library for a PAL console (even though it's technical an add-on).

It also has a rather nice port of Mortal Kombat II.

Star Wars Arcade, Space Harrier and Knuckles Chaotix would give you several hours of fun if you did find one. And by that I mean an un-boxed one at a car boot sale or something.

on pBay, the tend to sell for as much as £70 if boxed and immaculate.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:08 pm

I own a 32X but apart from Virtua racing deluxe and Doom I haven't bothered collecting anything for it, unless its cheap - avoid!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:13 am

I own two - before I bought an original Playstation I played a couple of games on it to death; despite the nay-sayers it does have a couple of killer titles (given I only paid £15 for the first 32X unit it the ridiculous rrp never bothered me).

Virtua-Racing Deluxe is absolutely awesome fun, and has been rated in the RG 'top racers you've never heard of' (or article of similar title)

Virtua Fighter is also great - incredible at the time; even after I had a Playstation I still returned to this for the sublime gameplay.

Actually, I now recall there were three excellent games - Mortal Kombat II being the other one. Wow, this is bringing back some memories.

David

Post by David » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 am

the games look so bad they make your eyes BLEED

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:28 am

neuromancer wrote: Virtua Fighter is also great - incredible at the time; even after I had a Playstation I still returned to this for the sublime gameplay.
Agree. Excellant conversion and Star Wars wasn't too shabby either!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 am

Mortal kombat 2/star wars was excellent on it.I remember then if you had the 32x/megacd/mega drive together there was Sega Mega-CD 32X games with such games as night trap with more colors on the screen :?.There was metal head,pitfall,spiderman.Another good 32x game
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:49 pm

I own the following 32x games so far:
After Burner Complete, Doom, Golf Magazine 36 Great Holes, Knuckles Chaotix, Metal Head, Mortal Kombat II, Motherbase, Space Harrier, Star Wars Arcade, Toughman Contest, Virtua Fighter, and Virtua Racing Deluxe.

I've found them mostly enjoyable with the highlights for me being Knuckles Chaotix, Mortal Kombat II, Star Wars Arcade and the two Virtua series titles.

The game I'd most like to pick up next is Kolibri. There's no way I'll ever realistically own the PAL-only Darxide due to the insane prices it goes for when it becomes available. However, from the videos I've seen of it on Youtube it perhaps doesn't seem I'm missing all that much anyway.

32x certainly is no wonder machine but it still has its genuine highlights at the same time and I in no way regret owning it. Then again, any system by Sega is great in my rather biased opinion! :lol:

Oh, and yes I'd very much like to see a RetroInspection feature on 32x.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Stellar Assault! Space Harrier! After Burner! Knuckles Chaotix! Kolibri! Blackthorne! Tempo!

The 32X was the shiznit, or something.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:34 pm

c0ldb33r

Post by c0ldb33r » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:55 am

I've owned a few 32X's over the years and quite like them. The case for the 32X can be based almost entirely on Virtua Fighter 32X. VF 32X was just fantastic.

The original Saturn version was virtually unplayable because of the graphical glitches but the 32X, despite looking a little blockier, was glitch free and looked fantastic. The control and music were spot-on for the 32X version as well.

Of course, the Saturn problems were fixed in the re-released version called Virtua Fighter Remix, which added VF2 quality graphics.

IMHO, from best to worst, the quality of the games can summed up as:
VF Remix Saturn > VF 32X > VF Saturn

VF Remix Saturn

VF Saturn

VF 32X

As you can see above, VF 32X looks GREAT compared to the true 32-bit version on the Saturn.

Other fantastic 32X games include Virtua Racing Deluxe, an arcade PERFECT version of Afterburner and Space Harrier, a great version of Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam and Star Wars Arcade.

There are some flaws with it though, other than the games mentioned above, the rest are either simple Genesis ports with (just a few) added colours or games that were released without being properly completed (e.g. Doom for 32X is missing enemies and levels and lacks the ability to save - you have to play through the entire game in one sitting!)

If you like FMV games, there were a few Sega CD 32X games that were released which had video quality equal to a 3DO, which is amazing given the "rusty-screen-door" video quality of a normal Sega CD.

I SHOULD ADD - if you plan to get a 32X, be sure that it comes with the AV cord that connects the Genesis to the 32X. The 32X is absolutely useless without it. A 32X is worthless without this cord and in fact I've seen auctions for the cord itself end in almost as much as a full 32X. The required cords can be found here.
WARNING: Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is NOT a real doctor.

GREENHORN

Post by GREENHORN » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:34 pm

The 32X was one of those extras that was promoted to be the next best thing to the Arcade releases. Which it did on a couple of accasions, with the likes of Space Harrier, After Burner.
But to be honest, I decided to buy one all them years ago because of DOOM.

Its just a shame that the games are now that rare and sought after, its become a bit of expensive extra to own.

It would be nice to see an article about this plastic mushroom from planet sega.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:20 pm

you think nintendo at time,looked at the 32x history at time,and turned the N64 into a cd based machine instead at time,although giving the graphical details,would it be possible to hold that much on a cd at time?