killbot

Re: The Most Difficult Games Of All Time

Post by killbot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 pm
Ryan GH wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:31 am
I am so glad I passed up on Driver all those years ago. :mrgreen:
You missed out. The garage difficulty level is overhyped imo, I did it on about my second go and have since repeated it without much hassle having heard these tales. I'm not even that great at games, I'm pretty poor-average.
It was definitely tough but I don't remember it being THAT hard. I never saw the final level but it was apparently a sod.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 am

killbot wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Ryan GH wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:31 am
I am so glad I passed up on Driver all those years ago. :mrgreen:
You missed out. The garage difficulty level is overhyped imo, I did it on about my second go and have since repeated it without much hassle having heard these tales. I'm not even that great at games, I'm pretty poor-average.
It was definitely tough but I don't remember it being THAT hard. I never saw the final level but it was apparently a sod.
The first test in the garage is relatively easy, to the point it always surprises me when people say they struggled with it. I think I passed it within a couple of goes, once to figure out what to do, then one or two more to get past it.

The last level is nigh on impossible, so I gave up. Its just a constant stream of high speed cop cars outright ramming you at every opportunity (of which there are many). Still, some have managed it, people with more perseverance than me.

Great game, shame so many didn't get to see it. A shame its so early and there's no opportunity to switch cars mid level if it isn't going your way. Must play it again now, the handling on it holds up well, it's a lot of fun to drive, much more so than in the GTA games.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Jet Set Willy would have to be in with a shout, especially given that it was impossible to finish it until the pokes for the Attic bug, Banyan Tree block, etc. came out.

It's still a very tough challenge even then, at least on the Spectrum, although I gather that some of the ports let you finish it without having to collect all the objects.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 am
killbot wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:

The first test in the garage is relatively easy, to the point it always surprises me when people say they struggled with it. I think I passed it within a couple of goes, once to figure out what to do, then one or two more to get past it.

The last level is nigh on impossible, so I gave up. Its just a constant stream of high speed cop cars outright ramming you at every opportunity (of which there are many). Still, some have managed it, people with more perseverance than me.

Great game, shame so many didn't get to see it. A shame its so early and there's no opportunity to switch cars mid level if it isn't going your way. Must play it again now, the handling on it holds up well, it's a lot of fun to drive, much more so than in the GTA games.
I've always been of the mind that the last level of a game should be among the easiest. You don't want someone to miss out on seeing the ending of a game after they've completed 99% of it. You should be given a level where you can kick ass all the way through - you've earned it.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

BOBAH1

Post by BOBAH1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Weird Dreams
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_Dreams
very difficult...

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am

[quote="paranoid marvin]

I've always been of the mind that the last level of a game should be among the easiest. You don't want someone to miss out on seeing the ending of a game after they've completed 99% of it. You should be given a level where you can kick ass all the way through - you've earned it.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I hate endings where you have to fight all the bosses again and then if you are still alive, you have to fight this really tough son-of-a-censored with about one life yet and he can destroy you in two moves. It really frustrates me as I really want to see the ending of every game I play. :cry:

merman

Post by merman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:55 am

Ryan GH wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am
[quote="paranoid marvin]

I totally agree with you. I hate endings where you have to fight all the bosses again and then if you are still alive, you have to fight this really tough son-of-a-censored with about one life yet and he can destroy you in two moves. It really frustrates me as I really want to see the ending of every game I play. :cry:
[/quote]

The "boss rush " started in arcade games. It was a way of extending the game by re-using assets already created.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:18 pm

And yet it is still used today for example Onimusha : Dawn of Dreams.
Mind you, I actually managed to complete that one and the boss rush was easy as you knew how to defeat them all by the end.
I love that game so much, I highly recommend it to all, even if you hated the earlier games. This one was special....

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am

OldLou wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:12 am
The Ninja Gaiden (NES) games & Atomic Runner (Genny/MD) used to regularly kick my teeth in back in the day. Good times.
Atomic Runner is an underappreciated title. I was quite good at the arcade version and the MD version is an improvement on it.
I almost completed it once :)
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.