Guitar Hero 3

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Guitar Hero 3

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Ok chaps, how far have you got and what's your favourite achievement?

At present, I've totally completed easy and medium, and am just Raining Blood and the Devil Battle off beating hard (most songs on 3 stars, a few on 4 - 40/42 songs). I also began expert and got as far as the Tom Morello battle before I had to 'wuss out' because it's absolutely ridiculous and would require some serious practice :P However, I did 4-star Bulls on Parade just after that, and have also stuck When You Were Young and Lay Down under the belt (~12/42 songs through, I think).

Not entirely sure if I have a favourite achievement so far as I've really just been trying to get through songs, but will go back to master some of them later. I guess my most rewarding achievement so far was beating Knights of Cydonia on hard, as I was stuck on it for quite a while due to the bloody arpeggio section. My fingers have trouble going that way quickly!

Can also say that I think it's funny how many songs are CONSIDERABLY easier on normal guitar than Guitar Hero 3. I'm no guitar genius but I can walk a number of the songs on a real guitar, where I might struggle on GH3.

Some of the techniques are completely different too, such as Tom Morello's 'scratching' effect. This is actually done in real life with a 3-way pickup selector and the volumes on one of the pickups turned down. To make the scratching effect, you put your fretting hand near the bridge and move it up and down the strings. While doing this, you flick the pickup selector between the 'on' and 'off' pickups to give the crossfader effect.

Some of the finger patterns you are very unlikely to use on a real guitar too, like many of the chords. The fingers below the top one would simply be redundant unless you were using another string or 2 :P

I also have a major gripe about the hammer-ons. On a real guitar, you can do hammer-ons and pull offs for dear life without plucking a string, even if you screw one up. However, on Guitar Hero, every time you bollocks up a hammer-on, you have to PICK the next one, even if it's down as a hammer-on on-screen. Really frustrating, and I find myself picking through a lot of hammer-on sections just because this guarantees you never miss the next note if you make a mistake (One, I'm looking at you). I know doing this is really cheap, but this brings me onto another point - why don't you get penalised for picking notes which are supposed to be hammer-ons? Big oversight!

Ok so I'm waffling now and I realise playing GH3 is not meant to be like playing real guitar, but there's some perspective for you ;) Tell me your stories!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:25 am

I'm about half way through medium at the moment but I'm cheating by using the controller rather than the guitar, I need to get a fair bit of practice in with the guitar on 4 chords as my pinky doesn't seem to want to work in conjunction with my other fingers :D
Splink!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 am

I'm STILL stuck on Raining Blood on hard, but have got to Even Flow on Expert.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:19 am

Gave hard a go last night and failed my first song, I don't think I'm going to bother with any others, there's just some things in life you can't do.
Splink!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 am

felgekarp wrote:I'm about half way through medium at the moment but I'm cheating by using the controller rather than the guitar, I need to get a fair bit of practice in with the guitar on 4 chords as my pinky doesn't seem to want to work in conjunction with my other fingers :D
I know that feeling, I walked easy and then started normal. Damned 4th button killed my first few attempts but now I can start 5* songs again. I actually like the difficulty curve GH 2 and 3 have since what starts off as Hard becomes easier with more practice (Pearl Jams life Wasted springs to mind).

As for Hard mode, haven't given it a go yet but I'm sure it will destroy me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Up to Aerosmith on expert now, which is a complete pain. Somehow managed to 4 star Rock You Like A Hurricaine on the way.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 am

I managed to get past Aerosmith recently, but unfortunately Welcome To The Jungle is not much easier :(
Last edited by Sureshot on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 am

Just started playing through medium using the guitar, kind of getting used to using my little finger, sometimes I find myself getting completely lost and sometimes I'll play a rift of chords (is that right?, I'm not up on the terminology :D ) and wondering how I managed to pull them off.
Splink!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Just did WTTJ on expert.

High Five!

Edit: and Black Magic Woman too.

livefastdiefun87

Post by livefastdiefun87 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:35 pm

I am one of the sad people who can play dragonforce on expert although i will be the first to admit there is no chance of me 100%ing this

satchmojones

Post by satchmojones » Mon May 05, 2008 12:23 am

3's and 7's kicks my ass on expert...bloody song.

It doesn't help that i cannot stand the song to begin with. It just has a rythmn that i cannot get on with.

Don't really have a problem with any of the other songs, except for Raining Blood and Through the fire and the flames. The fast intro section on Raining Blood completely slays me (geddit?), even though i can play it with no problems on guitar, and the intro to TTFATF just doesn't work for me. I cannot really abide by hammer ons in the game, the fact that they do not function as true hammer ons gets up my nose (missing a note would not completely stop playing, forcing you to strum again! If you are going to change something, at least make it work correctly!). I have a similar problem with One, i can play that on guitar and yet on Guitar Hero, the heavy riff (for want of a better phrase) in the second half of the song just does not work. For me the up / down stroke of the guitar is not responsive enough.

But hey, enough of my bitching. Im on 3's and 7's on expert and cannot be bothered to try it anymore. I prefer just to jam on random songs.
Nothing is fool proof to a trained fool!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon May 26, 2008 4:11 pm

I finally managed to finish Raining Blood on Hard... Now, I'll try to defeat Lou, that'll take some time, but it doesn't look impossible.
On Expert, I can't get past the intro on Holiday in Cambodia, and can't finish Same old song & dance... :roll:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Dan Richardson UK

Post by Dan Richardson UK » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm

A couple of scores to have a crack at... (I'm not putting them all on otherwise I'll be here all night!)...

Some of my best ones...
When you were young: 259,891
Paranoid: 300,350
Knights of Cydonia: 299,869
Raining Blood: 182,588
One: 471,896

Career score: 10,555,736

And I'm buggered I i'm getting all the achievements too!
Xbox Live GT: DanRJedi
www.jetsetgaming.co.uk

supermario

Post by supermario » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 am

I think I've found a minor bug in it as last night I got the "Whammy master" achievement by doing Number of the Beast on Medium without doing any whammys :D

My target on this is 5 starts on all easy (poxy Raining Blood), 100% on 50% of them, 4 stars on all the Medium ones and I think I'll just fail miserably on Hard.

Intellaricovision

Post by Intellaricovision » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I have won the game on medium, hard, and expert (Didn't even try easy). On wii... I won the ending boss wit a broken whammy bar =D