Radiant Silvergun

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kaede

Radiant Silvergun

Post by Kaede » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:13 am

Anyone here play this? I'll knock up a table if anyone replies.

All settings default, no continues.

Arcade Mode

6.193.400 (Stage 2 route)

Saturn Mode

default_user

££££££££

Post by default_user » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Can many people affort to buy a copy? I'd love to but £100+ is a bit steep for me, no matter how awesome it may be.

Dudley

Re: ££££££££

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:39 pm

default_user wrote:Can many people affort to buy a copy? I'd love to but £100+ is a bit steep for me, no matter how awesome it may be.
If you have a sufficently quick PC (And I mean QUICK) it runs on MAME.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:10 am

It apparently runs on MAME now but not at full speed and the sound isn't properly synched. The frame rate drops considerably when fighting bosses too.You'll need a pretty damn fast PC to get it playable.

Still cheeper to buy a JAP Saturn + a copy of the game if you want to play it. And it is worth every penny IMHO. Plus you get the Saturn mode, allowing you to save your games and practice indidvidual levels as well as extra bosses and cut scenes.

Saturn is winnar.

default_user

Still expensive

Post by default_user » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:07 pm

I have a Saturn capable of playing imports and I keep an eye on eBay (not just eBay UK) for copies of RS but so far I've never seen one go for less than the equivalent of £100. I am a great fan of the old style scrolling shooters and have quite a collection but I am NOT paying that much. I have plenty of patience and will wait for a time when it becomes more affordable. In the meantime I plod along picking up the odd classic shooter and carefully grow my collection. The most I've paid is £40 and that was for Border Down on DC. An absolutely brilliant game but I still had reservations about the price. Perhaps I'm just tight but I think that as long as people are daft enough to pay these prices profiteers who have no interest in the games themselves will continue to milk the fans for all they're worth.

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:07 pm

The cheapest copy of Rad S i've seen was £120 used from vgi,they also had a sealed copy for £270!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:54 am

The price of Radiant Silvergun issn't an issue as long as you don't want to keep it sitting on a shelf once you've finished with it. Buy it, play it, sell it again. You won't see much difference in the price so there's nothing to lose.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

default_user

Ah, consumerism

Post by default_user » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:42 am

Antiriad2097 said:

The price of Radiant Silvergun issn't an issue as long as you don't want to keep it sitting on a shelf once you've finished with it. Buy it, play it, sell it again. You won't see much difference in the price so there's nothing to lose.
That's a modern consumerist point of view. Nothing wrong with it otherwise there'd be no second hand market for anything! I prefer to keep things that I really want though, and as I mentioned, I'm a collector and player of these games. I might not play something for ages then have a hankering to come back to it once in a while. I also like to see my shelves full of these games, like some people like to see shelves full of collectable pottery or books. While I'm on the subject, I have kept every work of science fiction and fantasy I have ever bought since around age 11 so I have a massive book collection too. No doubt some will see this as hoarding or obsessive but we all have our own little foibles do we not? Anyway, I digress. Perhaps this should be a debate for a new thread?

Antiriad2097

Re: Ah, consumerism

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:17 am

default_user wrote:
Antiriad2097 said:

That's a modern consumerist point of view. Nothing wrong with it otherwise there'd be no second hand market for anything! I prefer to keep things that I really want though, and as I mentioned, I'm a collector and player of these games. I might not play something for ages then have a hankering to come back to it once in a while. I also like to see my shelves full of these games, like some people like to see shelves full of collectable pottery or books. While I'm on the subject, I have kept every work of science fiction and fantasy I have ever bought since around age 11 so I have a massive book collection too. No doubt some will see this as hoarding or obsessive but we all have our own little foibles do we not? Anyway, I digress. Perhaps this should be a debate for a new thread?
I like to keep games myself, I've only ever sold a couple of them (which I regretted). I was just pointing out that money nedn't stop you enjoying some games - the high cost to play the game can be offset if you are prepared to sell again later. I'm not, so I don't play RS. PLenty of other great games to keep me busy, so I don't worry about it :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:05 am

I got it for £90 off someone on shmups.com. I offered £100 but he very kndly said £90 would be cool as that's what he paid for it.

I've tried RS on a PAL Saturn with an Action Replay and it's censored. If you're gonna get it, get a 60hz switch or play it on an NTSC machine. 8)

btw, new high score of 6.2m for me. Can't beat that final boss :x :x

I also finally broke 20million points on Ikaruga. Huzzah!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:32 am

I bought mine for £35 when it first came out and just kept it :-)
I didn't even like it first time I played it, I just bought it cos I knew it had to be good....

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:36 am

Mootown wrote:I bought mine for £35 when it first came out and just kept it :-)
I didn't even like it first time I played it, I just bought it cos I knew it had to be good....
Unfortunately I was too busy being a drunken chav teenager hanging around off licences when this game was released, otherwise I would have got it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Generally speaking,do you think it's fair to compare game scores on mame/emulators with those on the original machines?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:33 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Generally speaking,do you think it's fair to compare game scores on mame/emulators with those on the original machines?
Only if the emulation is accurate and runs close to 100% speed.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:41 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Generally speaking,do you think it's fair to compare game scores on mame/emulators with those on the original machines?
No probs if you point out it was on an emulated version. Good point though mate as when I played this on a PAL machine I waltzed through the game as it's so slow. Do you have RS then mate?