The RGF Shmup League - Season #10 COMING SOON

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Misery

Re: The RG Forum Shmup League - *Starts Feb 1st 2012*

Post by Misery » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Smraedis wrote:I can try and beat it? :D
Ooh, I know you. Seen your name before in a few places.

You can beat that score, yes? I know you do alot of shmups. I seen your Youtube channel, heh. I say, it's always good to meet another Youtuber that actually puts up shmup-related videos! Aint enough of those. Some games more than others of course.

I dont think it's all that great a score to begin with, mind you. Do feel free to leap over it, lol.

I'll be trying to improve it of course, but I need to stop crashing into things first.

Hint: Ramming the boss of a stage does not, in fact, give you 20 billionty points. It just kills you. This brings up the question of why I keep doing it anyway.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Balls. Don't have this one, will look forward to March's shmup. :) Deffo agree with including retro shmups, will allow people to play through..uh..other means than having a copy of the game.

Misery

Post by Misery » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Balls. Don't have this one, will look forward to March's shmup. :) Deffo agree with including retro shmups, will allow people to play through..uh..other means than having a copy of the game.

Well, it doesnt HAVE to be Futari. If not enough people have that one or want to do it, could always pick something else.

DDP Daifukkatsu might be another good choice, since I think you guys got that game localized over there, right? Not to mention that it's a much easier 1cc (in arcade mode anyway) than anything in Futari.

I'm pretty much good to go with anything here, whatever game it is will entertain me one way or another, lol.

.....as long as it's not bloody Touhou, or a Treasure shmup. Other than that.....

EDIT: And I mean really, *really* easy, as Daifukkatsu goes. 1.5 mode is.... maybe a little TOO easy? I've spent most of my time with this version of the game in the 2 arrange modes. I'd only made a serious attempt at 1.5 arcade ONCE, one day when I realized "Oh hey, you know, so much time in the Arrange modes, havent had a real go at this yet!" Just ONE attempt. Beat it immediately. Same on the iOS version.

The one thing that does bug me about the game though is that stupid "hidden route" thing. It never wants to freaking activate.

Easy or not though, this game is still such a blast.

I think either 1.5 mode OR Arrange A could be good for this sort of comp. Arrange A is a bit more interesting and fun, in my opinion.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 am

If you're playing 360 stuff, you'll get a lot of people cut off from your potential pool of players just because they don't own it.

Sticking to MAME/emulators means anyone can download and play the game. :x
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:51 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:If you're playing 360 stuff, you'll get a lot of people cut off from your potential pool of players just because they don't own it.

Sticking to MAME/emulators means anyone can download and play the game. :x
A very good point. I need game names and people to start throwing votes as to what they want to play. Mushihimesama was just the first game to be mentioned, so used it as a template.

Are you interested in playing and what would you like to play?

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 am

Sel Feena wrote:Balls. Don't have this one, will look forward to March's shmup. :) Deffo agree with including retro shmups, will allow people to play through..uh..other means than having a copy of the game.
What would you like to play Mr Sel Feena. I'd rather get you and others involved from the off.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 am

Hmm, I dont have any suggestions myself.... I tend to stick with danmaku games for a reason, now that I think about it. Too many older games / traditional shmups have boring-as-hell scoring systems (or in some cases, outright exploitable), and I have a short attention-span. I honestly cant think of anything of that type to suggest.

I'll wait and see what happens and then decide from there if I'm gonna join in on it, but I'll probably jump out of it in the case of most sidescrollers or older style games.

For now I'll just keep freaking out at Futari anyway.

EDIT: that, and the controller I'm stuck with for PC is a nightmare. Seriously, it's worse than the 360's dpad, if you can imagine such a thing. I *really* have to find a new, non-sucky gamepad for PC somewhere, but.... yeeeeaaaahhh, stores around here dont even CARRY gamepads most of the time, because who plays anything other than FPS/RTS on the PC? Bah.

I might have a look for one though and if I find one that DOESNT censored me off I'll be alot more interested in dealing with Mame. The more I think about it, the more I realize it's USUALLY the damn controls pissing me off with the Mame titles. Bout bloody time I replace this idiot gizmo ANYWAY. Yeah, I think I'll try and do that.

On the plus side, I have EVERY ROM EVER already downloaded on here.

I suppose if I had to suggest a game..... actually, thinking about it more.... I'd pick Galaxian, Galaga, or Xevious. To start with.
Last edited by Misery on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 am

Mushi is fine with me, I'd also like to put forward of the Thunderforce games and Salamander, and Axelay.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 am

Ok cool. In post 3 I will start a list of games people have mentioned and add vote numbers next to them. Game with most votes we start with I guess.

On a side note. Just had a few goes on Mushihimesama and that bloody stage 3 boss i swear ill never beat him on one credit. 47 million run. Panic bombing like a mutherfuker

*edit* Check post 3 for current votes/mentions of games to play.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 am

AmidstStorm wrote:Ok cool. In post 3 I will start a list of games people have mentioned and add vote numbers next to them. Game with most votes we start with I guess.

On a side note. Just had a few goes on Mushihimesama and that bloody stage 3 boss i swear ill never beat him on one credit. 47 million run. Panic bombing like a mutherfuker

I find it *really* helps, for shmups like that, to have a look at videos of other players doing the same mode and getting through the stages. I do that often for games I dont think I've mastered yet.

For that spider in particular the main threat is actually the very first pattern and those rolling fireball waves. The rest arent hard to deal with if you know how. Take it slow and try not to move more than you have to.... that's a mistake I see *often* in these games. It's easy to get excited and leap around the screen, lol. I start doing that if I play these long enough. That's when I have to take a break, haha.

But yeah, you should be able to download replays from the scoreboard server, if you wanna see if you cant find some tactics. It really does help.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:22 am

Misery wrote:I find it *really* helps, for shmups like that, to have a look at videos of other players doing the same mode and getting through the stages. I do that often for games I dont think I've mastered yet.

For that spider in particular the main threat is actually the very first pattern and those rolling fireball waves. The rest arent hard to deal with if you know how. Take it slow and try not to move more than you have to.... that's a mistake I see *often* in these games. It's easy to get excited and leap around the screen, lol. I start doing that if I play these long enough. That's when I have to take a break, haha.

But yeah, you should be able to download replays from the scoreboard server, if you wanna see if you cant find some tactics. It really does help.
That was my second credit of the day. I'll probably keep at it if we decide to play this and i'll no doubt improve. I don't think having just finished a 10 hour nightshift probably helped hehe, but that is the best score Ive hit in 1.5 Original before so it seems playing Ketsui for a wk has paid off on my skills. To be honest, I'm finding it difficult to play Mushi after playing Ketsui the last few days. I honestly think Ketsui is Cave at their finest. As hard as it is :)

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 am

I'm throwing in votes for the following:

Life Force Salamander/Salamander/Life Force - Nes/Famicom
Cloud Master - Master System
Dragon Spirit - PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16
Battle Squadron - Mega Drive/Genesis
Gynoug - Mega Drive/Genesis
Axelay - Snes/Super Famicom
Layer Section/Rayforce - Saturn
G-Darius - PSX
Gunbird 2 - Dreamcast
Gigawing - Dreamcast
Dragon Blaze - PS2
Deathsmiles - Xbox 360

Check post 3, ill update the full list shortly

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 am

Are we limited to just shooters? Run and Gun perhaps?

Anyway I nominate Air Buster/Aero Blaster on the MD. Awesome!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 am

AmidstStorm wrote:
Misery wrote:I find it *really* helps, for shmups like that, to have a look at videos of other players doing the same mode and getting through the stages. I do that often for games I dont think I've mastered yet.

That was my second credit of the day. I'll probably keep at it if we decide to play this and i'll no doubt improve. I don't think having just finished a 10 hour nightshift probably helped hehe, but that is the best score Ive hit in 1.5 Original before so it seems playing Ketsui for a wk has paid off on my skills. To be honest, I'm finding it difficult to play Mushi after playing Ketsui the last few days. I honestly think Ketsui is Cave at their finest. As hard as it is :)

Haha, I found that same thing, after playing a bunch of Ketsui, it helped with other games when I went back to them.

I do love Ketsui, even if it's absolutely infuriating at times.

Though, it's really honestly hard for me to choose which of Cave's games I think is their best. Really, REALLY hard.
nakamura wrote:Are we limited to just shooters? Run and Gun perhaps?

I could totally see doing that sort of game too, here. Or games where it's like, a shmup combined with some other genre, as there's a few of those out there too.

I also say, dont be afraid to nominate PC indie titles (free ones in particular, like the games made by x.x and such).

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am

nakamura wrote:Are we limited to just shooters? Run and Gun perhaps?

Added to the list in post 3! cheers. A game ive been meaning to buy for an age!

In regards to run and gun games? Ill leave it open to debate as they do have their place in the shmup family. I have all the Metal Slug games on MVS, contra, gunstar heroes, that's about it I think.. not really something I play that often.