Rambo - C64

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

necronom

Rambo - C64

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Five days ago I was completely useless at this. I'd get to the POW in the camp, then get killed with a score of about 8,000. Now I know what I'm doing and earlier tonight I put it on a real floppy and played it on a real C64 and got a score of 965,400 :D The score resets at 1 million so I had to stand in the camp getting shot at as getting in the helicopter and flying to the end would have given me another 100,000 and ruined my score on the high score table.

It was tricky letting go of the joystick and looking away from the screen to press space three times (weapon change) after cutting the POW free each time!

I think I looped through the whole thing about 7 times in that go.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Re: Rambo - C64

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:56 am

necronom wrote:It was tricky letting go of the joystick and looking away from the screen to press space three times (weapon change) after cutting the POW free each time!
Plug a joystick into port 1, preferably with a nice big fire button (I have a Quickshot Joyball that was free as a subscriber to LM that's ideal for this), put it on the floor and use it as a foot pedal. Port 1 fire button is the same as the space bar on a C64. Much better than taking your hand off the stick.

well done btw, though personally I prefer the speccy version of this one. I remember playing stealth games with it, hiding behind trees then jumping out and knifing the enemy.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:39 am

I tried that on my first go. I know the fire button of Port 1 did a space so I had it on the floor ready to go. Unfortunately, both joystick ports worked in exactly the same way with Rambo and the directions and fire button just moved and fired the same.

I tried the Spectrum version for the first time a few days ago but didn't like it at all. Like a lot of thing, I think whichever version you grew up with is your favourite.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 pm

necronom wrote:Like a lot of thing, I think whichever version you grew up with is your favourite.
I bought my Spectrum and C64 on the same day, so I can genuinely be impartial with my choices.

They're quite different games, the Speccy has a much slower pace and the change in size of characters etc really impacts on how it plays.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Know Zzap 64 laid into it at review, but it popped up on number of compilations and i rather enjoyed it.

C64 music was superb!.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 am

thevulture wrote:Know Zzap 64 laid into it at review, but it popped up on number of compilations and i rather enjoyed it.

C64 music was superb!.
Have to agree! I thought it looked and sounded great and, once I got used to the difficulty, it was a lot of fun. The game certainly had something that made me want to go back to it time and time again.

Zzap certainly did give it an average score, but this was one occasion where the review didn't matter and I bought the game. Incidentally, Lemon users have since scored it higher and probably more accurately. The Zzap! score seems harsh now as the game has stood up well to time.

I'm interested in trying out the Speccy game, after Ant's recommendation, so will try and get a copy.

And, back to the original post(!), nice going necronom! From what I recall this game was pretty difficult! Particularly once you head for the chopper and then have to return to the base.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:57 am

This was one game where i much preferred the C64 version over the Speccy one. Loved the C64 version and its music, played well. The Speccy one had a terrible 'games engine' with the scrolling, the baddies you could just run for miles as long and not shoot as long as they werent directly below you. Played the Speccy one a lot and completed it quite a few times but the C64 one is far superior.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 am

This thread takes me back, in the C64 days, friends and i would buy a game, new, just for the music.

If Zzap had given the music a high score? well that was it, it had to be bought.Never had an era since those days, probably never will.

Sometimes the game itself was a pleasant surprise:My copy of Ace 2 was 'doing the rounds' at the time, as it had a Hubbard track on it, yet friends who previousily never showed any interest in arcade type Flight games, found the 2-player dogfight mode and that was it, hooked.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Actually, ZZAP!'s full price review was harsh but it earned a Silver Medal and over 90% on budget re-release...

Took me a long time to work out how to get past the prison camp once I'd got the helicopter and flown back, and then several attempts to finally reach the landing pad. Must try and improve my score for the Retroleague competition...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Still a good game and has stood the ravages of time well.. I could get to the part when you had to outrun the Helicopter but could never finish that part without cheating.. If you plugged two joysticks in pressed down on one and up on the other your Helicoper would reach Light speed, I'm sure the game just ended after the credits must try it again
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I'll have to try that warp speed thing, I've never heard of that before.

After you finish it (landing the helicopter near the top right of the map) you get a congratulations message, then it starts again. On my score above, I was on about the 7th loop and had to kill myself so the score didn't reset to 0.