Deathsmiles - Xbox 360 (all regions)

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

AmidstStorm

Re: Deathsmiles - Xbox 360 *High Score Challenge*

Post by AmidstStorm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:I had a go on mega black label, not sure I like it, but a nice enough extra.

281,073,980 SAKURA / xbox360 MBL / Ex On

Its a pity you cant use Sakura in normal mode, she is even more powerful than Rosa.
Pretty good score. I prefer it because of the scoring system. It's more like DSIIX.. but then that's probably because i played that game first. This game is put on hold for me now.. whilst i play other shooters. I may never beat your score.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 am

I still can't get over 100,000,000 - i just can't figure out the instant recharge lol.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:45 pm

retrojc wrote:I still can't get over 100,000,000 - i just can't figure out the instant recharge lol.
I haven't pulled it off either. I've kinda stopped playing this weeks ago.. Isn't it something to do with bombing whilst using the lock on shot at a precise moment?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:54 pm

I knew it was somthing to dow tih bombing, but that's all. Lock shot would make sense, and haven't heard that before so will give it ago

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Mega Black Label 360 Mode - Sakura - Ex (just Ice Palace)

Ice Palace boss always wears me down. :?

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Great score there mate. I forgot about this thread. I'll update at some point. I tried playing the other night and couldnt even get through the game.. funny how quickly I forgot games, even when Ive hammered them.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 am

Some decent scores in here.

I'd post one myself if I wasnt bloody awful at this game.

Cool to see support/interest for it though. Despite that this game actually got localized even here in the states, NOBODY EVER KNOWS WHAT IT IS. Sighgroan.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 am

I should probably actually play this game. Had a few goes on it but I just didn't see what the fuss is about. I also get embaressed whenever I look at the case.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 am

oli_lar wrote:I should probably actually play this game. Had a few goes on it but I just didn't see what the fuss is about. I also get embaressed whenever I look at the case.

I'm not entirely sure why this one gets hyped sometimes either.

Dont get me wrong, it's a good game, but... I dunno. Alot of things about it could be better. They could have offered a wider range of difficulty levels, for example. Black Label is a bit better about that, but the original version is much too easy for a more experienced player. Which is annoying. Why cant one of these shmups offer a good range of difficulties so EVERYONE can enjoy them? For most players, they're either too hard or too easy.

Scoring system in this too is.... well, frankly it's kinda boring. It seems to boil down to knowing where in the stage to go into hyper mode.... and that's it. Just know where to occaisionally hit that button. Then you shoot stuff more.

Still a fun one though.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm

I like the scoring system in Deathsmiles. Of course it all revolves around when you enter power up mode, but it's not just enough to know when to do it, it does take skill to optimize your score. The strategic complexity comes in when you're planing your route through the first six stages. It's all about going form an easy clear, gradually increasing the risks you take, deploying more advanced techniques and getting higher scores. I think this is why it gets hyped, it can draw you deeper into the game like few others. Of course it depends on how you approach the game and what you want to get out of it. I'm not a fan of the suicide bullets in this game so I steer clear of its real survival challenge. Playing for score is what I enjoy.

So I might well post some. These are quite old and I don't have screenshots but they are on the PAL leaderboards, gamertag Cosine Cosine. Is that's a problem then never mind. Here they are anyway:

arcade - 197,304,639 - ALL (no EX) - Rosa
MBL arcade - 1,051,355,780 - ALL (no EX) - Rosa

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 pm

This was for the PAL version anyhow weakboson I just might have not stated that. There was quite a buzz about DS at the time on this forum but not alot of people probably saw this thread. Nice scores by the way. i just picked up the JAP version recently and I have to say, not playing it for along time doesn't do a player's scores any favours. I didn't even get close to the final level.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 pm

weakboson wrote:I like the scoring system in Deathsmiles. Of course it all revolves around when you enter power up mode, but it's not just enough to know when to do it, it does take skill to optimize your score. The strategic complexity comes in when you're planing your route through the first six stages. It's all about going form an easy clear, gradually increasing the risks you take, deploying more advanced techniques and getting higher scores. I think this is why it gets hyped, it can draw you deeper into the game like few others. Of course it depends on how you approach the game and what you want to get out of it. I'm not a fan of the suicide bullets in this game so I steer clear of its real survival challenge. Playing for score is what I enjoy.

So I might well post some. These are quite old and I don't have screenshots but they are on the PAL leaderboards, gamertag Cosine Cosine. Is that's a problem then never mind. Here they are anyway:

arcade - 197,304,639 - ALL (no EX) - Rosa
MBL arcade - 1,051,355,780 - ALL (no EX) - Rosa

Yeah, I honestly just never understood any of that hype for it. Still dont, lol.

If the survival difficulty were higher I might be a bit more interested.... maybe.... as it is I had this one done in about 2 weeks after it originally came out, dont think I've played it since. I dont mind the suicide bullets, which seemed to add "eat bullets" to the scoring system, haha.

I gotta say, I liked the second game alot better. The survival difficulty in the second one is so low that it's almost GONE, but I dunno, I really liked the scoring in that one. And that arrange mode was just funky.

Still I'd like to see more people try this. It's a really, really good entry point into the genre as a whole. This and Giga Wing are ones I always suggest to new players. Not that anyone ever listens to me, of course. But I suggest them nonetheless :wink:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 am

^ For me, it doesn't feel overly mental, and I love the art / music, which is kind of important for me if I'm going to put the time in. Same with Parodius, now I think about it!

Can't seem to pull of the auto-recharge the manual talks about with the Forest's Lvl 3 boss though. Tried like half a dozen times in Practice Mode to pull it off, but no dice. And the Gorge level can seriously just naff off. :evil:

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:11 am

Sel Feena wrote:^ For me, it doesn't feel overly mental, and I love the art / music, which is kind of important for me if I'm going to put the time in. Same with Parodius, now I think about it!

Can't seem to pull of the auto-recharge the manual talks about with the Forest's Lvl 3 boss though. Tried like half a dozen times in Practice Mode to pull it off, but no dice. And the Gorge level can seriously just naff off. :evil:
The music really was good, wasnt it?

Particularly the theme for Castle Whatsit, the final level, whatever it's called... well, whatever it was called, it was a darned good bit of music, it was.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:04 am

I have a fondness for DSIIX over this one. Probably because I bought it first and played the censored out of it. Still never hit massive scores. Perhaps 2 billion tops which isn't that great I dont think. I suggest we get some more high score threads set up. No one uses the high score section. Let's have a shmup makeover in here. :D