Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Vyothric

Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

Post by Vyothric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:47 am

I recently set a new personal best for Ancient Lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2e_rVHG8Y4

(I have some Goldeneye times on YouTube too by the way).
Last edited by Vyothric on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

ninjabearhug

Re: Diddy Kong Racing

Post by ninjabearhug » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am

I could be wrong as it's been ten years since I played it, but I'm sure there's another speed boost off track just after the first one (near the stone pillar). Me and my mates used to play this game to death, I'm sure using that other boost was the fastest way round the track :).

Nice vids though, gonna check out some of the Goldeneye ones later :)

Vyothric

Re: Diddy Kong Racing

Post by Vyothric » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:10 pm

On the non-time trial race there's a Blue Balloon on the grass. No zipper though.

SamiCetinSMK

Re: Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

Post by SamiCetinSMK » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:51 am

Excellent run Vyothric!

I have to check where i was at but i think 44 secs or so. I will have to pick it up again. The World Record with Car is a mid 42 secs time, very hard to get consistent. The records with the Plane are ridiculously fast down at 32 seconds due to the extra boost plates in the air.

Did you play Mario Kart 64 also for any Time Trials? I used to compete on that back until 2002 around when i played DKR but later worked my way back to the original on SNES.
Super Mario Kart PAL Version Time Trial World Champion

Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings: http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:51 pm

It was always Diddy Kong Racing instead of Mario Kart for me. I did play Mario Kart back in the day, but only from borrowing it from a friend as I only got my own copy recently.

My sister still has a DKR website. It was the first N64 game I bought so we both spent a lot of time playing it :P

SamiCetinSMK

Post by SamiCetinSMK » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Vyothric wrote:It was always Diddy Kong Racing instead of Mario Kart for me. I did play Mario Kart back in the day, but only from borrowing it from a friend as I only got my own copy recently.

My sister still has a DKR website. It was the first N64 game I bought so we both spent a lot of time playing it :P

Just checked the page, looks nice but the links on side dont work, i think they link to a different website that may be down at the moment...

DKR was a fun game, just some of the responsiveness was a bit annoying with plane wings getting caught on walls at the tip and the strange handling of the hovercraft. Stacy Needham who is UK overall TT champion on DKR did figure out from the Japanese players how to handle the Hovercraft better and get higher speeds on it by snaking in a way. It is odd but works somehow. He has also competed on some of the Mario Karts reaching around the top 8 or 9 in the UK on Super Mario Kart SNES and recently UK #1 at Mario Kart Super Circuit for the GBA.

Most of the records for DKR are all on cyberscore now, but we have our own built ones for the Mario Kart series..

Super Mario Kart Time Trial World Rankings: http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 am

The site was being moved/updated - should be alright now.

Though I did once send some times/scores into an N64 magazine (competing with some of the most outrageous cheaters you've ever seen :cry: ) I'm not much into "official" speed runs and all that jazz. My sister used to print out tables for DKR and Goldeneye to write our times in. That sort of thing :P

I just compete with myself these days really. (haha! take that me from X years ago!). It's perhaps not quite as rewarding. Though it is always infuriating to watch your own ghost zoom away from you on DKR. :lol:

SamiCetinSMK

Post by SamiCetinSMK » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Vyothric wrote:The site was being moved/updated - should be alright now.

Though I did once send some times/scores into an N64 magazine (competing with some of the most outrageous cheaters you've ever seen :cry: ) I'm not much into "official" speed runs and all that jazz. My sister used to print out tables for DKR and Goldeneye to write our times in. That sort of thing :P

I just compete with myself these days really. (haha! take that me from X years ago!). It's perhaps not quite as rewarding. Though it is always infuriating to watch your own ghost zoom away from you on DKR. :lol:

Hi Vyothric,

Thats cool thanks will check out the page again. Yes i remember the N64 magazine, i dunno why they accepted all the dodgy photos or whatever. It started ok for a few months then got all silly, some years later they changed things to video and it stabilised i think. I did send something in once which would have been top few of the UK for MK64 based on the actual site but was 3rd behind two fake times on the mag or something lol

The good thing is we have the official sites which we have worked on since the later 90s and thats the best place to go.

Im not into speed runs in A-Z games really either, most others are just for fun. I only got into keeping records on Super Mario Kart snes which is my main game. This branched out into the other Mario Kart games, Diddy Kong Racing and a bit of F-Zero where i liked keeping records.

Your driving level is very good you should register on cyberscore they have long lists of players from around the world and your records would be in the top few in the UK i reckon.

Best Regards,

Sami Cetin

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:00 am

I guess I'll have to check it out. The only other place I've posted my videos so far is on an N64 forum - I thought that'd be the logical place to go, but hardly anyone cares about gaming there. It's mostly collectors :|

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:08 pm

I was having a look on cyberscore. Aren't all the times/scores verified? It has a seperate list for the "proof scoreboard"

Anyway, I set a slightly better time on Ancient Lake today -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujq9PQgQtGA

And then pulled this lap time out of nowhere -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOeyOfS7mGg

SamiCetinSMK

Post by SamiCetinSMK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Vyothric,

Sorry for late reply, yes Cyberscore as u see have a massive database so the validation process is ongoing. I can vouch for some of the players in there myself that they are legit, like Stacy Needham of UK as he is also a competitor on Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Super Circuit (and i think MK64 too) for our own World Record sites. There used to be another DKR page but it was never updated frequently then went down.

Def get your times on there, youe Ancient Lake looks good; they have all the categories, for car, hover and plane.

Best Regards,

Sami