Original Donkey Kong

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Re: Original Donkey Kong

Post by kiwimike » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 am

ncf1 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm
kiwimike wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm
...Maybe it's a cement factory like on the old Game & Watch :)

Haven't got past my 60K PB, but have heard so many say once you can get there with a little practice you can then get 200K, so must have some more goes at this considering it's game of the month at RG mag. While I'm at it get that mini NES into action too, have a go on that version :)
could be a cement factory :) keeps with the Mario theme as you mentioned.

Even doing a couple of things like this for instance can get lots more points : on the rivets screen get the first rivet, jump back over it skip the second where the hammer is, then get the top two rivets. Come back down to the ledge with the hammer and then get to the right rivet, any ghosts you hit will respawn on the left side trapping them. then get the lowest rivet and the top ones, milking the jump-next-to-Kong-trick to get bonus points.

For the 'Pie Factory' stay just to the left of the second ladder and move right just as the last fireball spawns and make your way up towards the furthest right ladder, most of the time your trek will be fairly easy because the ghosts will have all spawned to the left and leave you alone. Most of the time. :)

These aren't failsafe because of the randomness factor but will work most of the time and get you lots of points.
Thanks! Any tips are most appreciated to improve the score :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:53 am
ncf1 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm
kiwimike wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm
...Maybe it's a cement factory like on the old Game & Watch :)

Haven't got past my 60K PB, but have heard so many say once you can get there with a little practice you can then get 200K, so must have some more goes at this considering it's game of the month at RG mag. While I'm at it get that mini NES into action too, have a go on that version :)
could be a cement factory :) keeps with the Mario theme as you mentioned.

Even doing a couple of things like this for instance can get lots more points : on the rivets screen get the first rivet, jump back over it skip the second where the hammer is, then get the top two rivets. Come back down to the ledge with the hammer and then get to the right rivet, any ghosts you hit will respawn on the left side trapping them. then get the lowest rivet and the top ones, milking the jump-next-to-Kong-trick to get bonus points.

For the 'Pie Factory' stay just to the left of the second ladder and move right just as the last fireball spawns and make your way up towards the furthest right ladder, most of the time your trek will be fairly easy because the ghosts will have all spawned to the left and leave you alone. Most of the time. :)

These aren't failsafe because of the randomness factor but will work most of the time and get you lots of points.
Thanks! Any tips are most appreciated to improve the score :)
Wes Copeland just joined and said hi on the latest issue feedback so i'm sure he'd be able to learn us both a thing or two hehe ;)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:12 pm

just got 350,700 yay! I'm coming for you, Wes! :D

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:08 pm

59,990. But I did get past elevator 3. So that's something!