Jon Stoodley & his Pac Man score, RG59.

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sir Arthur

Jon Stoodley & his Pac Man score, RG59.

Post by Sir Arthur » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Tell you what, when I need some inspiration to go Hi score questing I just need to read an article like in issue 59 re Jon Stoodley and Pac Man.

For the life of me I don't know how people get near a score like that on Pac-Man, never mind getting the Perfect Game :shock:

The last time I got anything earth shattering score wise was about eight years ago when I landed Just on the other side of one million on Ghost 'N' Goblins.

I keep trying to get good at Pac-Man and keep having a go on the XBLA version, but to be honest I think will just bow my head and admit I am C$@p.

Anyone else struggle with Pac-Man and what score can you get?

I have around 60,000 :oops: :)
Sir Arthur

" Thank the Lord I packed my underpants "

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:04 pm

Why not make a Pac-Man post in the High-Score thread? :D

Sir Arthur

Post by Sir Arthur » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Rinoa wrote:Why not make a Pac-Man post in the High-Score thread? :D
Sure one of our Mods may move this post. :wink:
Sir Arthur

Bub&Bob

Re: Jon Stoodley & his Pac Man score, RG59.

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Sir Arthur wrote:Anyone else struggle with Pac-Man and what score can you get?
I struggle to get more than 100 points before falling asleep with boredom :wink: :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:28 pm

I used to go to school with someone called John Stoodley.

Sir Arthur

Post by Sir Arthur » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Sir Arthur wrote:Anyone else struggle with Pac-Man and what score can you get?
I struggle to get more than 100 points before falling asleep with boredom :wink: :wink:
LOL.
Sir Arthur

Pacman 83

Post by Pacman 83 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Multi million point games on Pac man are quite rare nowdays.
Not only are there a very tiny fraction of the players playing Pac Man today, but the ones who set out with the intention to succeed, sometimes get either bored (as mentioned above :D ) or read about the 'Perfect' scores from the modern era and feel 'what's the point' ?

My tips to the guys who would like to improve their game are pointed out in Retro Gamer. Being 'Perfect' is indeed important, but not in points, in ones joystick movements. You will be amazed just how much your confidence will grow once you sort this out. You can flow around the maze without hesitating in the corners.

There are many ways to improve your scores as well. The modern MAME gamer can access many 'hidden' talents which the Retro gamer never had BITD. What I will say guys is choose whatever means you feel more comfortable with. I would suggest buying the book 'Mastering Pac Man' by the late Ken Uston and get used to the early strategies and patterns. I used this book in 1982 and I used it again in 2007 in order to kick start my memory for the patterns and strategies I used so many times as a teenager.

The reason I suggest doing it this way is to keep the game 'pure' and exactly the way the original gamers did it in the Arcades of the 80's. The Americans had access to 'rack advancing' in the early 80's I am told, some even had their own cabs ! 8)

Midway sold 50,000 Pac Man cabs in the U.S alone, so it is possible that considering these numbers, the chances are that indeed the very top players had used the rack advance feature of the cab to help out in the pattern process.

I for one never ever heard of the above when I played :?
I went into the Arcade, put 10p in and played (or practiced patterns) until I died, simple as.

When the U.S guys reached the Splitscreen in late 82, early 83, they were convinced that the screen was indeed passable. I had a chat with Tim Balderramos recently (Tim was World Champion in 83) and he explained that this was the reason that the record score stayed 'in limbo' for a while until I beat it in June of that year. I concentrated on a point press for screen 1 - 21 and then the run up to the split.

Once you are familiar with the ghosts 'behaviour' and the reasons why they behave in such a way, you're halfway there to setting big scores. Couple this with some partial patterns and some basic grouping techniques (the ghosts can be manipulated) and you will acheive 6 figure scores with practice.

To acheive a multi million point game needs a lot of stamina and concentraton. Running a 9th key pattern for 235 boards without hesitation (or the pattern simply breaks down) and to do this in a 'live' Arcade enviroment in which I only play, with the sounds of the arcade, sometimes this can be a distraction in itself, but keeps the score 'authentic' for me. :wink:

I had 3 games over 1.9 million and 4 over 1.2 million at Funspot X but was disappionted in not reaching the very thing I went there for, the split and beating my old score. :(

I'm on a quest to topple my 3.221 million score at Funspot in May/June this year. I had a 3.257 million game in July '83 but the score wasn't properley adjudicated, so it's there to be beat.

Keep practicing guys, it's a great game. :D
Perfect Pac Man - Play Margate 22/08/2015
Highest Pac Man score of the golden age (1978-84)
3,221,000 19th June 1983

Sir Arthur

Post by Sir Arthur » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:33 am

Here comes another Pac-Man day on the 360 then :lol:

Thanks for the feedback Jon, take care mate & Good luck. :D
Sir Arthur

Pacman 83

Post by Pacman 83 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 am

Sir Arthur wrote:Here comes another Pac-Man day on the 360 then :lol:

If you're using the X Box 360 for practice, don't use the joypad ! It's useless in negotiating the maze. I'm sure that a 3rd party joystick should be available by now. The X Arcade is probably your best bet and have the standard stick upgraded to an 'Ultimarc 4 way' one for example. You must either have a dedicated 4 way stick, or a very good switchable one. The one standard on the X Arcade isn't good on 4 way.

If you require a good 'stable' pattern for the Apple to the 7th key, (which is the bulk of a novices' game) here's my '83 one which I still use -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h4lGuEiiu9Q

Here's the 9th key one - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ctLLPD6OVdY

Keep it going ! :D
3,221,000 19th June 1983

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 am

Hey Jon,

I watched you play Pacman at the Fusion event on Philip's cab. With all the noise, people talking to you, Radio 1 badgering you, Thorn EMI filming you and you still got nearly 1 million points if I remember rightly.

Your an inspiration m8.

Pacman 83

Post by Pacman 83 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, Retro Fusion was a great day !
The Pac man cab was set to 2 man start, the screen needed de-gousing and there was no sound :( but hey, it was all for a good cause and it was nice to see so many Retro gamers there. 8)
3,221,000 19th June 1983

Sir Arthur

Post by Sir Arthur » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Pacman 83 wrote:
Sir Arthur wrote:Here comes another Pac-Man day on the 360 then :lol:

If you're using the X Box 360 for practice, don't use the joypad
Don't worry Jon I am using the Arcade stick I got with Virtua Fighter, :D .

I have seen a video of Billy Mitchell trying to play Pac-Man CE with a 360 pad, he had the pad sat between his legs and he was using two fingers and his thumb to try and use the Analogue stick in an Arcade stick fashion, it must have drove him mad. :)

Thanks again.
Sir Arthur

mkp

Post by mkp » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:20 am

I think the highest I got was 55,000. It was during my college days. I used to play with my cousin who was an expert in the free game. I used to score in the range of 20,000 to 25,000 but then one day I managed to score 55,000. It was a real achievement as far as I was concerned. My sister also praised me and I even had to arrange a party for what I achieved. As expected my cousin did not attend it and he was never friendly with me again.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Roll on high scores at R3PLAY!!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

djcarlos

Re: Re:

Post by djcarlos » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:04 pm

barbie wrote:
djcarlos wrote:I used to go to school with someone called John Stoodley.
Also,I used to go to school with someone called John Stoodley. :oops:
You didn't go to school in the Midlands did you?