Original Donkey Kong

Got a high score accomplishment to boast about? stick it here...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

thebear

Re: Original Donkey Kong

Post by thebear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:32 pm

and teh follow up Chasing Ghosts Beyond the Arcade which I like more

Concentrates on the "lesser" seen guys from King of Kong (Wlter Day, the score checkers etc etc, and all the guys from the Time Magazine cover)

Also shows Billy Mitchell is not quite the ass he's made to look in King of Kong
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Marty

Post by Marty » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I played it last winter on an old Colecovision and managed to get somewhere above 50k. Can't remember the exact score though. I think the Colecovision version is missing one of the floors, but my memory could be wrong.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 am

witchfinder wrote:
necronom wrote:My best is 114600, though that was on Crazy Kong (exactly the same AFIAK, apart from the name).
Crazy Kong is nothing like the original Nintendo Donkey Kong - the level order is different, certain hammers are unobtainable and it's much easier due to the barrel patterns being far more predictable. I can get over 60k on Crazy Kong but only around 36k on Donkey Kong...
Yeah Crazy Kong is a way easier game, and there's a cheat you can use on the barrel level (works on MAME too). Go up the first ladder on the bottom level, then 'flick' the joystick so Mario jumps a bit to the right, but doesn't turn (He still has his back to the screen). Then, jump to the right, and you jump straight off the screen to the top-level complete! :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Got into the 60 000's now...shes been struggle though. Don't think I'm going to be troubling Bill or Steve anytime soon and appearing on Kong 2 :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Haven't booted up the machine for AGES, going to have a good go tonight to beat my PB, see if I can get near the 100K mark

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:39 pm

264.200 after playing for 2 weeks.. its a fascinating game in that it gets more fun the deeper you get into it, Ive avoided it my whole gaming life until this year and only just realised how addictive it is! I always would hate it because I could never get past the first screen, only recently giving it a real chance. Its a great game.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:26 pm

I've always been rubbish at the original Donkey Kong, from the arcade original to various imitators on the 8 bit computers. I cant even get of the first screen in most cases! :oops:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:51 am

TheDude18 wrote:I've always been rubbish at the original Donkey Kong, from the arcade original to various imitators on the 8 bit computers. I cant even get of the first screen in most cases! :oops:
I was exactly the same - I actually hated Donkey Kong, never liked it, but I found that was only because I never gave it a real chance. Persist for a bit and it becomes incredibly addictive.. I hadn't played it ever but after persisting and getting a bit better have found it a game I play daily, and it has been months now... I never realised just how addictive that game can be! Never even realised.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:50 pm

got it for MAME last week, since i didn't have it ..... and played a few times, even got off the first screen once :mrgreen:
i tried playing it before decades ago but was complete yoshi poop at it, so getting to the second screen was quite something!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:56 pm

I found the Donkey Kong book that Steve doesn't leave the house without in a draw today. Complete with thrift store sticker.

Crazy Kong I played in Arcade Warehouse I could last a lot longer abusing the ladder cheat. That second elevator stage everything moves at warp speed
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 am

Funnily enough we've been playing donkey Kong at work and posted our high scores on the editorial page. None of us will be troubling the high score any time soon :p

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 am
Funnily enough we've been playing donkey Kong at work and posted our high scores on the editorial page. None of us will be troubling the high score any time soon :p
Paul and a couple others got 50 to 60,000-odd, if you can get that far its not that hard to get over 200,000, every tweak you make on your game can get you progressing leaps and bounds. I just have to really figure out the 'pie factory' board, that one is either heaven or hell. Actually I don't think its a pie factory, seems more like cargoes of sand or something!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm

...Maybe it's a cement factory like on the old Game & Watch :)

Haven't got past my 60K PB, but have heard so many say once you can get there with a little practice you can then get 200K, so must have some more goes at this considering it's game of the month at RG mag. While I'm at it get that mini NES into action too, have a go on that version :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm
...Maybe it's a cement factory like on the old Game & Watch :)

Haven't got past my 60K PB, but have heard so many say once you can get there with a little practice you can then get 200K, so must have some more goes at this considering it's game of the month at RG mag. While I'm at it get that mini NES into action too, have a go on that version :)
could be a cement factory :) keeps with the Mario theme as you mentioned.

Even doing a couple of things like this for instance can get lots more points : on the rivets screen get the first rivet, jump back over it skip the second where the hammer is, then get the top two rivets. Come back down to the ledge with the hammer and then get to the right rivet, any ghosts you hit will respawn on the left side trapping them. then get the lowest rivet and the top ones, milking the jump-next-to-Kong-trick to get bonus points.

For the 'Pie Factory' stay just to the left of the second ladder and move right just as the last fireball spawns and make your way up towards the furthest right ladder, most of the time your trek will be fairly easy because the ghosts will have all spawned to the left and leave you alone. Most of the time. :)

These aren't failsafe because of the randomness factor but will work most of the time and get you lots of points.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:22 am

just cracked 288,800 today.. took 3 months to top 270,640

and I heard Billy Mitchell say in a documentary that it took him 94 goes to get to the DK kill screen... geez just 94 turns, it feels like ive played 1000 times already, probably more. Others have topped his score since but he really must be considered the best, doing it in 1982, unbelievable.