Speaking of shumps - C64 + CMD SuperCPU = Metal Dust!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Steve Halfpenny

Speaking of shumps - C64 + CMD SuperCPU = Metal Dust!

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Now I've seen some things in my time but this is just nuts.

Take one bog standard Commodore 64. Add a Heavy Duty Power Supply. Chuck in a 3,5" floppy drive and don't forget a CMD SuperCPU 20 MHz Accelerator with SuperRAM Card (at least 4 MB). Then, and only then, can you play this -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_rcJ7BRbX ... re=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie79hicxteg

http://www.protovision-online.de/md/info.htm

I can't remember this ever covered in Retro Gamer but it should have been. This thing looks incredible and I really want to play it now! Shame nobody came up such a thing in the early 90s and the C64 would have taken on the 16 biters for sure! (And beaten the crap out of them if this is anything to go by!)

Apologies if this has been covered on the forum before.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Reminds me of what I thought when I first saw the demos: technically, this looks amazing, but the level design looks dreadful.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

i've only seen the thing running a couple of times, on a technical level it's not really as impressive as i thought it'd be; graphically it's more than a little reminiscent of Manfred Trenz's Enforcer and, if the recent preview is anything to go by, the only things that Enforcer 2 doesn't do that Metal Dust does is the sampled music (and i've never been a fan of Welle:Erdball personally so that's not a great loss) and the large, memory-hungry animations for some of the objects like that huge asteroid - and Enforcer 2 is full screen!

Writing about it is also a problem, it can't be run under emulation and i've not got a SuperCPU to be able to give it a proper review... i haven't even had a chance to play it yet.

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Aye, fair enough. I've just never seen a C64 game running on a SuperCPU before. I'd like to see more.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Yeah I've seen this before, looks pretty good would love to play it as I'm a big fan of Katakis and it looks similar. Mind you the upcoming Enforcer 2 does look very decent especially the bosses, but I wasn't blown away with the demo as even though there were a lot of cool visual effects, the boss fight looked more like a graphical demo with little after thought to a decent attack pattern. Still it's early days and things could get a whole lot better.

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Aye, fair enough. I've just never seen a C64 game running on a SuperCPU before. I'd like to see more.
Considering how hard it is to get the bloody hardware... (at least for the moment, i know plans are afoot in a few camps to produce something similar).

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:51 am

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Aye, fair enough. I've just never seen a C64 game running on a SuperCPU before. I'd like to see more.
It got a mention in my book on C64 games, like TMR I've only had fairly brief experiences with playing it. But it is impressive, with the number of moving objects onscreen at the same time as sampled music and speech.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:08 pm

Good stuff.

Side note - Andrew, I wasn't aware you used to work for Commodore Format! What a magazine that was! Book sounds good.

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:47 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Reminds me of what I thought when I first saw the demos: technically, this looks amazing, but the level design looks dreadful.
well, sadly its not even technically THAT ammazing. the game could run on a multicolor bitmap screen easily, instead it uses charmode and wastes most of the cpu time on playing digi music.