C64 graphics - any hires games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:53 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned before many times on this forum, but some clever C64 programmers can break the two colours per 8x8 block restriction.
Actually, most programmers can do it regardless of cleverness. =-)
Havantgottaclue wrote:I don't think it's practicable when anything needs to move, however.
FLI and variants like AFLI (which is what the Clystron picture uses) eats two thirds of a PAL machine's CPU power and getting sprites over the top is tricky to time. It's not impossible though, Motley Tetris runs on an FLI screen for example, but that kind of hardcore cycle-counting is more the domain of the demo programmers. Something like AHires is nowhere near as flexible but far more viable for games...

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:I'm sure it's been mentioned before many times on this forum, but some clever C64 programmers can break the two colours per 8x8 block restriction.
yeah, and it can look like this in the hands of a hardcore gfxman 8)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:52 pm

oswald wrote:yeah, and it can look like this in the hands of a hardcore gfxman 8)

Phwoar. I assume there's some pretty complicated interrupt code going on there.

oswald

Post by oswald » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm

the 'trick' is that it uses sprites over a picture which has new attribute memory selected each 2 lines. that means you can use 2 colors in each 8x2 'cells' plus one color coming from sprites. the sprites are only in the 160x resolution, but its hidden by turning them under the '1' bits. furthermore each vertical sprite 'stripe' has its own color. if you watch closely you can notice this on the wings. (fex the right wing has a sudden vertical change into using black pixels)

btw, imho this is the most impressive hires game:

download and more here:

http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/c/Review_Cavewizard.php

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 am

I've had a quick blast at these games (only under emulation, though). It's a pity Cave Wizard wasn't finished - what's there looks great and handles well too. And Motley Tetris, despite all the technical trickery going on in the background, is on the surface a pretty good version with nice smooth piece movement. There's a lot of colour there, though I think it has to be said that this is probably more for the purposes of showing their coding skills than for going easy on the eyes - I could have done with a little more grey, myself!

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:11 am

Decent Poker, never finished also.

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 am

CrookedMouth wrote:Decent Poker, never finished also.
That doesn't really count as an example of high resolution graphics, the images are displayed using IFLI so the machine is in 160x200 multicolour bitmap mode and interlacing two images to get the resolution. The hardware smooth scrolling is used during horizontal interlace routines on the C64 to overlay the two frames at half pixel offsets, that's why a "still" screenshot where both frames are combined in the way it would appear on screen will have 320 pixels across and over a hundred colours.

Hollywood Poker Pro is also interlaced up to 320 pixels across, although it's using DrazLace as opposed to IFLI and the status panel is mapped into hardware sprites.