Things Games Developers Should Avoid

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retrogarden

Things Games Developers Should Avoid

Post by retrogarden » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:58 pm

There are things that some game developers do which really annoy me. What should game developers avoid?

My main bugbear is game developers who require games to be bought for stuff to be unlocked. Like Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii requires Super Mario Galaxy save files (you can unlock it another way, I know), and one of the WWE Smackdown vs. Raw needed both the PS2 and PSP versions of the game to unlock all the characters.

I hate it, as it panders to my poorness.

What should game developers avoid doing in your eyes?

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:01 pm

"To Be Continued..." endings to games, especially when a sequel isn't guaranteed. I loved Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy but it ended on a damned cliffhanger. Seeing as how only about 10 people actually bought the game I doubt I'll ever find out what happens next. :(

Dunjohn

Re: Things Games Developers Should Avoid

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:20 pm

retrogarden wrote:There are things that some game developers do which really annoy me. What should game developers avoid?

My main bugbear is game developers who require games to be bought for stuff to be unlocked. Like Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii requires Super Mario Galaxy save files (you can unlock it another way, I know), and one of the WWE Smackdown vs. Raw needed both the PS2 and PSP versions of the game to unlock all the characters.

I hate it, as it panders to my poorness.

What should game developers avoid doing in your eyes?
Too much out-of-the-boxness like this in general. Pokémon Red & Blue; okay, you and a friend each needed to have different versions of the games to get them all, but in Pokémon's case the game was huge enough for that to be reasonably likely. The current generation of games, though, require so many hoops to be jumped through to get them all, including region-specific downloads. Every couple of months they have a new Toys 'R' Us download promo in the States and these Pokémon can't be captured anywhere else. Then there's all the online stuff... You can't play Pokémon lying with your feet over the couch armrest on a lazy Sunday anymore, you'll only half-finish the damn thing.

Also. Level grades. The scourge of modern Sonic the Hedgehog games in particular. Blasting through Green Hill Zone doesn't work anymore; now you have to get an S-Rank or you're useless.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:28 pm

release unfinished games and patch them later

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:36 pm

games where the programmer lets you choose the dificulty level ; this smacks of poor design and laziness
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:54 pm

A big one for me is when you can't pause a cut-scene. I hate that. If anything happens while a scene is on, then that's it, you have missed it. Sometimes someone will shout me to say someone is on the phone, or the tea is ready, or come in and start talking to me.

I sometimes have to pause a game until I'm sure I won't be interrupted for the next few minutes so I can start another mission on GTA IV.

What's so hard about making the Start button stop and start the scenes? A replay option would also be good. I'll be getting MGS IV soon, and I'm hoping for a pause button.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:32 am

Dark Reaper wrote:"To Be Continued..." endings to games, especially when a sequel isn't guaranteed. I loved Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy but it ended on a damned cliffhanger. Seeing as how only about 10 people actually bought the game I doubt I'll ever find out what happens next. :(
To damn true, so many of my favoruite games have these kinds of endings and have never got sequels and chances are never will (like Shenmue). At least Beyond Good and Evil is actually getting a sequel.

My pet hate is unskipable training levels at the start of games. This is how to move... this is how to jump etc. Read a damn manual! or at least make it optional as I don't want to spend the first hour having a game tell me what I already know. Unskipable cutscences is the other, if I die and have to redo a section I don't want to sit through the same cutscene again and again!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:03 am

Unskippable cut scenes. If we wanted to see your censored-poor attempts at Pixar we would buy an animation disc from a pound shop.

Undefinable controls. I was able to do this on my Speccy and I should be able to do this on my consoles and not have this denied me because the programmers couldn't be bothered.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:13 am

games that use shame tactics if you don't play every day!

pretty much any wii/ds personal development type game!
they have put so much thought and effort into this type of game but i feel tactics like pointing out how long you have not played for..and little touches like making your mii look fat if you are just out on the bmi scale let these games down, i know for a fact that my brain age on the ds goes up/down quicker depending how often i play!

shaming peopl into playing more often will only encourage them to trade the games in!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:03 pm

mohicankid wrote:games that use shame tactics if you don't play every day!

pretty much any wii/ds personal development type game!
they have put so much thought and effort into this type of game but i feel tactics like pointing out how long you have not played for..and little touches like making your mii look fat if you are just out on the bmi scale let these games down, i know for a fact that my brain age on the ds goes up/down quicker depending how often i play!

shaming peopl into playing more often will only encourage them to trade the games in!
Or the opposite of that - within a week or so of owning Wii Fit it was already repeating itself. Now I don't even bother reading what it says, its only got a couple of dozen dumb phrases. For a tool thats supposed to be used daily over a period of several months, you'd think they'd have added some interest to it. Its not as if exercise is interesting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:games where the programmer lets you choose the dificulty level ; this smacks of poor design and laziness
:shock: Um, sorry Marv - got to disagree -

Firstly the programmer only implements the design - so he/she isn't offering you the chance to choose - the designer is offering it.

Secondly there's more work involved in supporting difficulty levels, not less, so the laziness argument isn't valid (the amount of work depends on the type of game, but generally the play-through path is different because of increased AI difficulty or extra obstacles or whatever - it all has to be designed, coded and tested).

Thirdly it's a way to increase the longevity and replay value of the game. Sure some folks will go straight to 'Insanely Hard' level, but lots of others will be happy for a gentler introduction on the easy setting before tackling the variations that are introduced with the higher difficulty levels...

Well anyway, that's how I see it...

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 am

paranoid marvin wrote:games where the programmer lets you choose the dificulty level ; this smacks of poor design and laziness
Can't see where you are coming from with this!?

Surely more than one difficulty level is a design decision taken at or near the beginning of the projects development to enable players at varying skill levels to get the most out of the game. It would obviously mean more not less code, and effort to play-test.

So what do you mean by "smacks of poor design and laziness"!? I really don't get it. If you mean they haven't bothered to find a 'perfect balance' in game-play, then how do you do that?
One persons 'perfect' is another persons 'too easy' and yet anothers 'way too difficult', so what do you mean exactly!!?

Things Games Developers Should Avoid = FPS :lol:

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

Ice/water levels, rarrrr!

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:40 am

Sureshot wrote:Ice/water levels, rarrrr!
Snap..

Blue Triangles

Post by Blue Triangles » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:32 am

I hate respawning enemies, unless it's absolutely necessary that you have them. Sometimes they're there as a cheap way to make a game more difficult.