calling all uk Smash bros owners

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 am

I hated smash bros on the n64 also. wasn't to keen on Cube one after lots of plays i got to like it.

but with smash bros brawl i hate the on line, Like the story thing, wont mind playing on line with friends.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:25 am

I was going to buy it this morning but enough forum members have put me off. Would like to buy Grid, is that available in Tescos/Asda?

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:03 am

I'm having to say, after second thoughts, it is really addicting. I can't really exlpain it but I was playing offline mode until 3am last night.

Still not sold on the online mode but it does suck you in...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:23 am

If anyone wants to trade me for my copy then let me know. Its in a limited edition slip sleeve (not sure if they are like that from all shops).

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:56 am

SirClive wrote:If anyone wants to trade me for my copy then let me know. Its in a limited edition slip sleeve (not sure if they are like that from all shops).
What are you looking to trade for?
Splink!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:19 am

All this talk reminds me of when I first bought the N64 version... on import, Japanese style because the reviews had been good. So I plug it in, hand another controller to my brother and we start playing.

And yes indeed, at first we were wondering what on earth was going on. Why is everyone leaping about everywhere? Where are all the fancy special moves? Why does the background get in the way sometimes? But the more we played, experimented, tested things out with the characters and saw how everything they did possess changed the situation, the better we got. I think having someone else to bounce ideas and suggestions off constantly really helped both of us.

After a month or so, we were actually at one with the game, something neither of us has quite managed with the following two games. We knew the rules and we were quite prepared to try and break them. Blocking works, you must learn when to strike, when to defend, when to just RUN AWAYYYYYYYYYYY! Frame counting actually works, you know how long an opponent's moves take to execute and choose your move accordingly so yours gets in their first.

Smash Bros is a lot more complicated than many people realise. There is a lot of strategy, skill and nous required, it isn't just a random button masher (although some people I've encountered play like that, they just get dispatched off the screen accordingly). Sure the random items keep you on your toes, but they can work to your advantage as well.

I've changed my main character over the course of the games as well. It was Luigi in the N64 version, he was just a complete killer. Sadly he got toned down slightly in the Cube version so I went off him, still play as him occasionally though. I used more Link in the Cube version, along with his partner in crime Ganondorf. For Brawl though it's pretty much Kirby (a character I did play a bit in Melee) and Pikachu on the side. I also play as Pit, MetaKnight, Luigi, Ganondorf and the odd random spot of Ike. So you never quite know what to get with me ;)
ToxieDogg wrote:Like the idea of being able to assign your own custom taunt comments to the D-Pad for friend matches...could be amusing...
Watch out for the "BanHammer!" then heh... Kirby plays dirty! :wink:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:07 am

Toxie Link likes to tell his online friends that they 'suck balls' so he won't be tolerating any nonsense from Kirby ;)

Fully agree about Smash Bros, though I'm more with VGG's views on this one...didn't think much of ths N64 version but the 'Cube version sucked me in with it's tons of unlockable extras....the more I unlocked, the more I got to grips with it.

As for the online play it seems crap compared to Mario Kart, it must be said :(

Really enjoying the offline modes though, it's surprised me in that respect.

As I say, it's definitely a game for the fans and to anyone else it's gonna be like Marmite. I think it helps if you have a lifelong love for all things Nintendo too (like me) because a lot of the ingame references and humour are probably going to be lost on the people who've only recently jumped on the Wii bandwagon after years of nothing but Playstation & Xbox gaming.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:39 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:I think it helps if you have a lifelong love for all things Nintendo too (like me) because a lot of the ingame references and humour are probably going to be lost on the people who've only recently jumped on the Wii bandwagon after years of nothing but Playstation & Xbox gaming.
Yes, completely marked out when I saw an old classic Metroid Boss hidden in the game ;)

Got Solid Snake now, having much fun online playing as him "imagine people are thinking 'how?', 'why?' :)"

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Well, I've only played it for a bit (less than an hour) and I've never played Smash Bros before......

I LOVE IT! IT'S Great!!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:18 pm

There are some games I hate but I know why others love them. This I just don't understand why people like it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Well if you explain why you don't like it, might help to understand and explain why we love it... well I love it. Partly because it is different from your bog standard one on one fighter...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:53 pm

retrogarden wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:I think it helps if you have a lifelong love for all things Nintendo too (like me) because a lot of the ingame references and humour are probably going to be lost on the people who've only recently jumped on the Wii bandwagon after years of nothing but Playstation & Xbox gaming.
Yes, completely marked out when I saw an old classic Metroid Boss hidden in the game ;)

Got Solid Snake now, having much fun online playing as him "imagine people are thinking 'how?', 'why?' :)"
Funnily enough, the thing that's making me smile most is the remixed versions of old classic tunes I keep hearing throughout the game, like the 'underground' theme from Super Mario Land on the Game Boy, or the Dark World Death Mountain theme from Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES. Nice, and brings back lots of memories :D
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:56 pm

Mayhem wrote:Well if you explain why you don't like it, might help to understand and explain why we love it... well I love it. Partly because it is different from your bog standard one on one fighter...
I can't see a game in there. Limited controls, too fast, just turns into button bashing.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
retrogarden wrote:

Funnily enough, the thing that's making me smile most is the remixed versions of old classic tunes I keep hearing throughout the game, like the 'underground' theme from Super Mario Land on the Game Boy, or the Dark World Death Mountain theme from Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES. Nice, and brings back lots of memories :D
Yeah, there are some really great tunes in there. There was this Mario Medley one that took out the end game music from Super Mario World.

It just keeps getting better and better the tunes in my eyes, and I haven't unlocked half of them!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:11 pm

SirClive wrote:I can't see a game in there. Limited controls, too fast, just turns into button bashing.
Limited... in what way? That you only have two attack buttons and not the 4-6 that many other fighters have? You've still got two strengths of normal attack in all eight directions plus at least three special moves. Plus different attacks when running and in the air. I normally turn off up as jump and use a button instead; need that up + A move somewhat often.

Too fast? Was that said when the original Streetfighter Hyper Fighting was unleashed? I recall that being even quicker. Time and opponents wait for no man, you have to think fast and act quicker. And in many cases, plan ahead for the next two or three moves you may have to make depending on what everyone else does.

And rest assured my fights never turn into button bashing, I know exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it at all times. Strategy, stringing combinations of moves together (oh yes quite possible to set people up for a slam in this) and figuring out what weak spots the opposition is letting themselves in for with their style of play.

Smash Bros is a different fighter to your Streetfighters, Virtua Fighters and Soul Caliburs; I love those three series as well, but this is something different and I love it...