Quake is 12 years old

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowAngel

Post by ShadowAngel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 pm

IDDQD wrote:IMO the first Quake is the best Quake game in the series. I loved the dark gothic feel of the game and in some ways preferred it to Doom as it had way more atmoshphere.
Agreed.
I remember the game, it was great. From the bloody axe to the nailgun you gotta love the weapons. I liked it in Multiplayer, we played it even years later.
I was around 12 years old when i first played it and i remember how scared i was of all those monster. Especially the Demon (the sitting one that jumps directly in your face) got me every time. And what i liked were the Endbosses. You don't shoot at them to kill them, you had to think and search the arena. Like the Lightning thing to kill the Devilboss in Episode 1 or the Orb for the tentaclething in Episode 4.

I like the game, altough i must say i prefer the Multiplayer Mode in LAN. The single player mode feels a bit empty and doesn't come near to the greatness of Duke Nukem 3D (which in reverse has a rather bland Multiplayer mode)
IDDQD wrote:Anybody know why ID ditched the horror theme of the first game?
The Story i heard was, that Quake 2 was supposedly a new game. As the release date got nearer and nearer iD thought about a title, but couldn't come up with anything that wasn't already taken. So at the last second they just slapped Quake 2 on the Box. I don't know if this is true, but it does make some sense.
And i guess they just ran with the idea. Quake is the Sci-Fi Shooter and Doom is now the Horrorshooter. But i would love to see Quake 5 going back to the original style

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:36 am

leefishuk wrote:Did anyone play the Dreamcast copy? I can't remember what Quake it was but the multiplayer was excellent, it really seemed to suit the controller (for a console version).
There was a Dreamcast version of Quake? I didn't know that. Very interesting.

:)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:52 am

yethboth wrote:
leefishuk wrote:Did anyone play the Dreamcast copy? I can't remember what Quake it was but the multiplayer was excellent, it really seemed to suit the controller (for a console version).
There was a Dreamcast version of Quake? I didn't know that. Very interesting.

:)
Quake III Arena has a commercial DC port, but the original Quake has a homebrew port too since the source code was released.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:11 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:The Story i heard was, that Quake 2 was supposedly a new game. As the release date got nearer and nearer iD thought about a title, but couldn't come up with anything that wasn't already taken. So at the last second they just slapped Quake 2 on the Box. I don't know if this is true, but it does make some sense.
And i guess they just ran with the idea. Quake is the Sci-Fi Shooter and Doom is now the Horrorshooter. But i would love to see Quake 5 going back to the original style
Quake 5? I don't recall seeing Quake 4. Was it PC-only? :shock: I like Quake 2 the most so far. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:43 pm

Quake 4 was a 2005 release on PC, Mac and 360. Basically Quake using the Doom 3 engine iirc.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Wow, I missed that one entirely! :shock: :oops: Was it any good? What does 'iirc' mean, by the way?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:11 pm

No idea if it was good, never played it.

iirc = if I recall correctly

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:iirc = if I recall correctly
Image I've wondered for a while but was scared to ask for fear of looking like a dinlo :P

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:39 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:
Image I've wondered for a while but was scared to ask for fear of looking like a dinlo :P
What's a dinlo? ;)

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:41 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:
What's a dinlo? ;)
I didn't realise it was a local term :shock: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dinlo