Favourite PSONE rpg

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Solidsuikofan

Favourite PSONE rpg

Post by Solidsuikofan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the forum and, as my less than original sign in name would suggest, I'm quite a big rpg nut. For me, the PSONE era was the highpoint of Japanese RPG releases (though I do love my snes with its little collection of rpgs :D) so it would seem to be a good choice for my first topic. I would add a poll but there are so many decent rpgs that spring to mind on the first Playstation that I want to open it up to you guys. The Suikoden series, the three PSONE Final Fantasies, Xenogears, Alundra (IF you count it as an RPG), Wild Arms, Grandia, Chrono Cross all have their attractions. Pick a PSONE rpg, however weird and wonderful it may be, and explain your choice.

My personal preference is Suikoden 2 for a variety of reasons. Like any classic sequel, it expands and improves upon the original in a variety of ways. The game world itself is immense, with a huge variety of characters to interact with and even recruit. The army battles are pretty groovy, with Shining Force style grid play and the main battles are relatively simple on the outset, but possess great depth, including combination attacks and a solid magic rune system (not quite up to Materia but still pretty damn good). The plot itself is great and follows the contrasting fortunes of a pair of childhood best friends, who discover that they cannot follow the same path forever and, although the game follows the traditional Japanese rpg affinity for linearity, the game does have some avenue for player choice, with different endings and plot scenarios available. All this and the cooking game is verry fun and very addictive...

Yes, yes I have banged on about this game but you really should give it a go. Final Fantasy VII may grab the headlights and, in some ways it is the better game, but Suikoden II offers charm, variety, alongside a rousing and uplifting plot that is hard to match. Shame its so blasted expensive these days.... lol.
Rich aka Solidsuikofanatic :D.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Breath of Fire 3 from Capcom. Wonderful 2D graphics, an interesting story and a suitable soundtrack made this my favorite. That and Garr, he was cool.

I also like the Wild Arms series despite never actually playing it. My brother loves the series and I've always liked the setting as well as the awesome soundtracks (Especially the Wild Arms battle theme).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Solidsuikofan

Breath of Fire 3

Post by Solidsuikofan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Yeah man, that was a decent game. Shame Breath of Fire 4 wasn't as good (though I do have that knocking around somewhere...).

I've only played the first Wild Arms, but the way in which you switch between the three characters is pretty cool.
Rich aka Solidsuikofanatic :D.

jimid2

Post by jimid2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I'm going to say Final Fantasy VIII... though it's a hard choice over FFVII... But FFVIII is such a complete departure from anything else in the series! and despite its shortcomings, I think the storytelling and characters are great... It really affected me when I first played it, and the Disc 3 scenes with Rinoa on the space station still take my breath away today... great stuff!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Vagrant Story.

A technical showcase for the machine, I still think it looks luscious. Excellent, gripping plot peopled with fascinating characters and intelligent themes. A wonderful localization, rousing score, bags of replayability thanks to the New game+ features. Best of all - plenty of tinkering to get your teeth into.

for me it really stands head and shoulders over every other console RPG I've played, and it remains one of the best and most fulfilling game experiences I've had.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Legend of Legaia.

Did I spell that wrong?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. I love the Final Fantasy games, but there is just something extra about DQVIII that kept me playing much longer after completing it.

And the ability to find and mix items to create more powerful weapons etc. was a fantastic little addition!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:29 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:Legend of Legaia.

Did I spell that wrong?
Quite liked that one, liked the fact that you could do different combo attacks against your enemies! Never finished it though...... :cry:

And yeah, you spelt it right! :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Without question Final Fantasy VIII. Every over RPG is left quivering in the corner like the weaklings they are. :) The game is just too epic! The GF's are breathtaking and the music is among the best ever produced for a videogame. The characters are top notch as is the story, and even the gameplay is addictive and fun for an JRPG.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:15 am

bonerlaw wrote:Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. I love the Final Fantasy games, but there is just something extra about DQVIII that kept me playing much longer after completing it.

And the ability to find and mix items to create more powerful weapons etc. was a fantastic little addition!
Great game, but wrong system!

As for my pick - there were some great PS1 RPGs. The original Suikoden, Guardian's Crusade, FFVII, Breath of Fire III and IV and more.

At the moment I'm really enjoying...

Final Fantasy IX.

I loved FFVII, couldn't get into VIII and when I saw IX in a charity shop for 2 quid I thought I should get it. After the laborious Materia levelling-up of VII and the complicated Junction system of VIII, IX's pretty basic (but powerful) method of equipping your character with skills was really well done. It's just a joy to play.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Beef

Post by Beef » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:52 am

Wow, the original post basically echoes my opinion on PS1 RPG's. I love Suikoden II so much that i've completed it a good 4 times. For me, it just has everything i'm looking for in an RPG. I think the thing that does it for me is that randon battles are easily avoided and aren't TOO frequent like FFVII. I'm currently toying with playing the Legend of Kartia, but i've just got Mana for the SNES, so it isn't going too well! :?

I also got Suikoden IV for the PS2 for £8 from Gamestation. In my 1st hour of play i'm enjoying it immensely! I haven't hit the water yet, though...

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:04 am

Never really been a big RPG fan, the only one Ive played all the way through to the end was VANGUARD BANDITS. A kind of medievil mecha tacticle RPG. Picked this up quite late in the PS1's life, but loved every min of it.

Wish Id kept hold of it becasue it costs a few quid now, oh well.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14 am

revgiblet wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. I love the Final Fantasy games, but there is just something extra about DQVIII that kept me playing much longer after completing it.

Great game, but wrong system!
Doh! Thanks for pointing out my stupidity! Ill read topic titles in future! In that case then, for me it would be Final Fantasy VIII. I loved 7, but just thought that 8 had a better combat system, and less annoying random battles!

Plus, i used to drive my mates insane at uni constantly playing the card game! Man, when i got the squall card i was over the moon!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Grandia. Accept no substitutes. 8)

It has the best battle system, good storyline and a good lengthy challenge.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:08 pm

I not into RPG but I like Vandal Hearts because it turn based like a board game & not like some games in which your fighting every 5 mins whatever you like to fight or not.