Katakis

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JesteR

Katakis

Post by JesteR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:59 am

Hello,

I am a big fan of Katakis, and I'm wondering if Retro Gamer ever wrote an article about the game.

Does anyone out there know if they did? Is anyone else a fan of the game?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:59 am

Im more of a Denaris fan myself!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:46 am

That's actually the same game, with a different name due to legal reasons.

Good that there's another fan, though. :)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:00 am

JesteR wrote:That's actually the same game, with a different name due to legal reasons.

Good that there's another fan, though. :)
I think there were a few more changes that just the name though. Level design and a few sprites changed.

Either way, really good shooter.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:30 pm

I love Katakis, but I still think Salamander is the best shmup on C64, Katakis is close though. I actually much prefer the C64 ver over the Amiga one.

Oh yeah, the main problem with it is it's far too easy.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:08 pm

C=Style wrote:I love Katakis, but I still think Salamander is the best shmup on C64, Katakis is close though. I actually much prefer the C64 ver over the Amiga one.

Good call - Everyone raves about Armalyte (whice looks amazing is is good) but Salamander is my fav too - I think its an amazing conversion (considering the platform) and is a great shooter (and I don't like shooters much!)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:44 pm

Yep you're right there, stunning conversion considering. Even the music is spot on.

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:03 pm

There was supposed to be a sequel to Katakis (here's are a couple links http://www.denarisoftware.de/html/des.html and http://www.katakis2.com/). I think it was announced in 2004, but it seems that there hasn't been any progress. I guess the project is dead. :(

I tried to get in touch with Manfred Trenz but he didn`t answer my email. I was really looking forward to a Katakis 2 with updated 2-D graphics. That would have been awesome.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Hey JesTeR, if you like Katakis you will also like his other game Enforcer: Full Metal Megablaster. Have you played it?

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FLUOJGzUTQ

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:10 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
C=Style wrote:I love Katakis, but I still think Salamander is the best shmup on C64, Katakis is close though. I actually much prefer the C64 ver over the Amiga one.

Good call - Everyone raves about Armalyte (whice looks amazing is is good) but Salamander is my fav too - I think its an amazing conversion (considering the platform) and is a great shooter (and I don't like shooters much!)
Actually, Salamander on the C64 is a bit... well, i don't want to call it buggy because that isn't accurate but apparently there were protection checks in the code that whoever mastered up the tape and disk versions didn't take into account so it goes a bit squiffy. And i prefer Io since it's by the same graphics man but a single load. =-)

There is Enforcer 2 on the way as well...

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm

The demo of Enforcer 2 has been released this weekend...

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=67039
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Has it really? I was waiting for that and wasn't sure from the video I'd seen if it was a hoax or not?

Graphically it was very, very impressive, I'll have to check it out. Thanks 8)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:46 pm

I bought Denaris off the back of Katakis reviews and didn't like it. Much preferred the original to the restyled one.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 pm

C=Style wrote:Graphically it was very, very impressive, I'll have to check it out. Thanks 8)
Graphically it's "borrowing" quite a bit from other titles for the moment whilst the code is being written but that code is pretty damned impressive; that and Xeo3 are my wants list for the C64 right now.

JesteR

Post by JesteR » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 am

I'm not sure about you guys, but when I played Katakis back in the 80s, I was very impressed by the graphics. That's why I'd really like to see an updated version or a sequel. Imagining the boss fights with graphics similar to the game Steel Saviour (http://www.steelsaviour.com/) is just cool. :)