dreamcast - used to be called wanted :P

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:23 am

GarryG wrote:AT the time possibly a bad thing, although I personally don’t think this was a main reason for the machines demise. It didn’t seem to make any difference in Japan! I think the DC died due to really bad marketing by SEGA and really good marketing by Sony!
I agree, I don't buy the idea that piracy played a large part in the DC's demise - it didn't help the perception of some developers that the format was doing badly, but it wasn't the only reason. The market wasn't quite ready for online console gaming in those pre-broadband days, for example.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:28 pm

It was on offshoot of this ability to play ‘normal’ CD as well as the non-standard format Dreamcast CD’s (that can hold more information than a normal CD or CD-R, by the way) that lead to the popularity of the machine for home brew.
Homebrew code was only allowed to run due to the MIL CD format bypassing the signed code script in the bios. After talking to several people in the scene at the time of the expliot (Dan Potter being the main one) it was the exploit of the MIL CD startup that started the rise of homebrew (or so he told me).

I bloody hope this is true as I based an article around this very fact some time ago! :) I mean, you get the word from the horses mouth as it where and it turns out it could be all wrong.....:)

Regards
Simon

redleader28

Post by redleader28 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:39 am

If you really need an RF TV lead for your dreamcast I've got a spare one knocking about. It works fine. If your after a scart lead your be able to get one of some ppl I know on ebay. Look for tokyo imports and they will be able to supply you with a brand new scart lead for £3.99.
Nobody shoots anyone in the face unless you're a hitman or a gamer

redleader28

Post by redleader28 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:43 am

It's funny how some people said that piracy killed off the DC but in reality it has kept this wonderful machine alive.I haven't got any pirated DC games as I love the originals to much.

I'm guilty as charged when it comes to emulation using my DC. I've got the DreamSnes, Megadrive, Master system, MSX and pretty much every other emulator for the machine. But since I got this software for my Dc I haven't stopped playing on it.

The PS2 was pushed aside and so was the 360 just so that I could waste away the hours playing Super Punch out and the original Metal Gear.

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:17 am

koopa42 wrote:DC one of the most underated consoles EVER - FACT
That's absolutely true!
Another fact: it was far ahead of its time.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:30 am

Ah, and did anyone mention these great DC-games:

Shenmue -- fantastic adventure/rpg
Jet Grind Radio (aka Jet Set Radio) -- funny inline skating-graffiti-action
Virtua Tennis -- the best tennis sim ever!

EnglishRob

Re: I have one or two as well

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 am

default_user wrote:Hi Mel. If Koopa doesn't sort you out I have a brand new and unused VGA lead that will also connect to the composite sockets (like stereo audio connectors, yellow, white and red) on a suitably equipped TV. I also have a second hand lead that will plug into the aerial socket on the TV. The DC has a bespoke video output socket (the thin black multi-pin slot at the back R/H side as you look from the back) if I recall correctly. I don't have mine to hand as I'm not at home right now.
Default_user, if Mel doesn't have the VGA cable off you, I'd be interested. I ahem, modified my RF cable to get composite video output from it, well that was the idea, turned out not to work so well so I can't use my Dreamcast at the moment :(

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

redleader28

Re:

Post by redleader28 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:36 am

Kai wrote:
koopa42 wrote:DC one of the most underated consoles EVER - FACT
That's absolutely true!
Another fact: it was far ahead of its time.
IT'S TRUE IT'S TRUE.

Another Fact: We never got to see it's fully power.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:04 pm

Is there a version of MAME for the DC! would love to pop on some Arcade classix!
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Yes, but its not very good. There's a bit of lag in the controls - not much, but just enough to notice.

It also doesn't work with many games - only a couple of hundred or thereabouts.

A rummage through the torrent sites will no doubt turn up an ISO ready to burn.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

default_user

VGA Cable

Post by default_user » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 pm

EnglishRob - PM'd you about the VGA cable.
My little retro corner of the web:
http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:24 pm

Yep, thanks default_user, I've PM'd you back :)

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:02 pm

OI! easy tigers, koops aint sent me the other cable yet :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sat May 06, 2006 12:15 pm

right thought id dig this thread up to tell you all i finally got an aeriel lead and the console works and all mi games work :)
also ive bought 2 more dreamycast games today :)

house of the dead 2 (£12)
and soul calibur (£7) from chips
i have 9 dreamcast games now theyre mounting up :P

was tempted to buy crazy taxi (£7) or phantasy star online (£14) but didnt, fingers crossed theyll still be there next time i go, looks like all the retro was the same as last time i went tbh
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:19 pm

mel the bell wrote:house of the dead 2 (£12)
I hope you got a gun with it at that price :roll:

You really need to shop elsewhere, the prices you're paying at that shop are OTT. Pretty much all DC games go for about a fiver now except for a few hard to get titles. PSO is certainly not worth anywhere near £14. Last time I looked, my local GameStation had at least 2 copies for under a tenner.

I'd head ebaywards if there aren't any decent shops around you.

Oh, and I'd hunt down the DC Forums... :twisted:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.