dreamcast - used to be called wanted :P

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:19 pm

MSR is a good game, and IMHO Resident Evil Code Vernoica on the Dreamcast is the best of the entire series on any machine.

There are loads of AAA games out there, but it depends on your gaming tastes. what do you like playing?

Regards
Simon

mel the bell

Re:

Post by mel the bell » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:39 pm

Simon wrote:MSR is a good game, and IMHO Resident Evil Code Vernoica on the Dreamcast is the best of the entire series on any machine.

There are loads of AAA games out there, but it depends on your gaming tastes. what do you like playing?

Regards
Simon
i love mainly

platformers
arcade adventures
arcade games like pac man etc
shoot em ups
zelda style rpgs
puzzle games
the occasional driving game like v rally, msr looks like my type of driving game

i will dabble with the rest but im not heavily into say sports games
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

default_user

I have one or two as well

Post by default_user » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:51 am

Hi Mel. If Koopa doesn't sort you out I have a brand new and unused VGA lead that will also connect to the composite sockets (like stereo audio connectors, yellow, white and red) on a suitably equipped TV. I also have a second hand lead that will plug into the aerial socket on the TV. The DC has a bespoke video output socket (the thin black multi-pin slot at the back R/H side as you look from the back) if I recall correctly. I don't have mine to hand as I'm not at home right now.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the DC is a damn fine console and if you want to treat yourself to something new for it head over to Playasia or LikSang and get yourself a copy of Under Defeat. It's an arcade shooter just released last month. Got mine on pre-order from LikSang for just £37. Well worth it I reckon.

The DC isn't great for platformers but if you like 3D platformers you could do worse than try to get hold of Super Magnetic Neo. The best way I can describe it is as being similar to Crash Bandicoot only much stranger. The hero has a magnetic head which can be used to attract or repel objects and characters to be used in various ways. Like I said, strange....

DC keyboard: As mentioned, it's great fun for Typing Of The Dead. Handy also if you want to dabble with using your DC as a web browser. Totally redundant as the PC is obviously the better way to browse the web but there is a certain novelty in browsing web sites in low resolution on your TV. You can also use it in conjunction with a DC mouse to play Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament.

Oh, and welcome to DC ownership. Hope it's fun for you.
My little retro corner of the web:
http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:16 am

Dreamcast is great for arcade games

Crazy Taxi 2
House of the Dead 2 (needs gun)
Sega Rally 2

Wetrix and Bust a Move are good puzzle games

MSR an Star Wars Pod Racer are good racing games

Ikaruga is a fantastic shooter (import)

You may like to try Shenmue 1+2 (RPG)- I personally found them a bit too slow
but some people think they're the best games on the machine

Skies of Arcadia is also a good RPG
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

James A

Post by James A » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:02 am

Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia for RPGs. They seem to be quite expensive to pick up though. Cant go wrong with Soul Calibur.

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:19 am

cheers people
some interesting thoughts on the world of DC :)

1 thing
dc games? they normally come on 1 disc?
and if they come on more discs they always say disc 1 / disc 2 etc?

i ask this cos i find 1 or 2 in charity shops and the cases have space for 2 discs but normally have 1 disc in

the only one ive found with 2 is resi evil code veronica
oh and chu chu rocket has the dreamkey disc.....but thats cheating :P

i just dont want to be buying half a game you see :)

oh yeah and homebrew
you can play homebrew with no modification?

can you burn games onto a normal cd and play?

sorry about all the questions peeps youll get fed up with me by the end of the week and prefer i stuck to mi snes, megadrive, gamecube, speccy :)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:02 am

Yes the DC will read normal cdr's. Just download stuff off the net, burn it and away you go. A bit of an oversight on Sega's part. :D

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:52 am

Magic Knight wrote:Yes the DC will read normal cdr's. Just download stuff off the net, burn it and away you go. A bit of an oversight on Sega's part. :D
I wouldn't say it was an oversight, more like a huge selling point, after all people are more likely to buy machines if they can play pirated games on it.

The Dreamcast was the first big console I bought, and the first one since the VCS. It was bought purely so I could play Shenmue. A criminally overlooked machine which largely failed due to the idiots in the marketing departed deciding to spend their budget on sponsoring Arsenal rather on something that more people would see.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:31 am

Dreamcast games had the most badly designed cases ever

FACT
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Agreed, they were so fragile! I loved my DC though, everyone knew me as the DC obsessive in school :D

Sadly though, many of my DC discs are scratched, some to the point that they cannot be read by the machine. Does anyone know a good way of repairing them?

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:41 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Crazy Taxi 2
House of the Dead 2 (needs gun)
Two *great* games that I play regularly! 8)

Mort

Post by Mort » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:52 pm

Another Classic Headhunter, sort of like Metal Gear/Gta mixed, brilliant is all I can say, and don`t forget the Sonic Adventure games which are often overlooked .

Oh and for a seminal Shooter try Rez

:D
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:36 pm

I wouldn't say it was an oversight, more like a huge selling point, after all people are more likely to buy machines if they can play pirated games on it.
It was a total oversight and the result of Sega launching the MIL CD format in Japan which bypassed the code signing scripts in the bios, eventually letting people boot code from cdrom.

In fact it was the ability to play pirated games that hurt Sega's profits so much that the Dreamcast finally met its doom.

Regards
Simon

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:01 pm

I thought it was pirated games that made the PSOne so popular?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 am

Simon wrote:
I wouldn't say it was an oversight, more like a huge selling point...
It was a total oversight and the result of Sega launching the MIL CD format in Japan...
As I understand it, it wasn’t really ether!

The mode that allows bootable CD-R to be written was done intentionally. However it was done to ensure the ‘WINDOWS CE’ compatibility mode; hence the ‘Windows CE’ logo on the front. Some commercial games do use this mode, worms being one of the most obvious I can think of just now.

It was on offshoot of this ability to play ‘normal’ CD as well as the non-standard format Dreamcast CD’s (that can hold more information than a normal CD or CD-R, by the way) that lead to the popularity of the machine for home brew. This also let pirated commercial gamed be played on the DC with a modified boot loaded.

AT the time possibly a bad thing, although I personally don’t think this was a main reason for the machines demise. It didn’t seem to make any difference in Japan! I think the DC died due to really bad marketing by SEGA and really good marketing by Sony!