Mega Man series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrogamer48k

Mega Man series

Post by retrogamer48k » Sat May 31, 2008 12:31 pm

IM quit fan of mega man , my faveourite probally 2,3.
i thinks a great platformer plus everyone like crazy killing robots :twisted: :twisted: :evil: ;/

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat May 31, 2008 1:50 pm

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to post a reply before Shadowman!

I've only played one Megaman game. Can't remember which one it was, as it was like 2o years ago on a NES.

Was enjoyable from what I can remember though.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Sat May 31, 2008 1:51 pm

this seems like a good enough time to ask a question I keep forgetting to bring up

Anyone played the wonderswan megamans, are they any good, they're not too expensive, but they're expensive enough to make me think twice about it in case they just end up gathering dust
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat May 31, 2008 3:51 pm

Love the megaman games, particularly the X series......although they are all damn hard!

retrogamer48k

Post by retrogamer48k » Sat May 31, 2008 5:42 pm

true but its megaman that what you expect from the old one (new ones bad).

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:27 am

random_dave wrote:this seems like a good enough time to ask a question I keep forgetting to bring up

Anyone played the wonderswan megamans, are they any good, they're not too expensive, but they're expensive enough to make me think twice about it in case they just end up gathering dust
Personally I quite like both of them but the general consensus is that both are average. Rockman and Forte is the weaker of the 2 and has a few problems with the level design that makes it very difficult at times (nothing impossible just "die a few times before you get the hang of it" hard). Scrolling feels a little jerky and all round it lacks the charm that made the others so good. Saying that I quite enjoyed it and its difficulty did mean I put a lot of time into it to perfect my playthrough so its worth giving a try.

Rockman EXE improves over R&F by all round being a smoother, prettier game but it is still very tough for the average gamer to play through. The one major problem is the way the battle chips were implemented. That is because you have to use the top D-Pad to activate them which is near impossible to do if your going 1 on 1 with Pharaoh Man! The bosses do have easy to recognize attack patterns though and I did away with the battle chips (save for the last boss) due to it actually making the game easier in the long run! Level design is much better though, apart from the first and last levels each on branches with 2 different routes through each with their own unique boss which improves replay value. After going through both routes you can unlock the real final level.

Both have very small amounts of Japanese text and are easy to navigate so you don't need to know a word of Japanese to play these. If you go after Rockman EXE make sure you don't wind up with Rockman EXE N1 which is a completely different RPG game like the GBA ones.

Personally the difficulty is what I like most about the MM games. They are challenging without ever being to hard. Boss battles are always the highlight for me as I can now beat pretty much each one with just the buster only. A few were really tough to do (Elec Man can kill you in 3 hits!) but really adds more to the games (in my opinion). I'm probably alone in thinking this but I think most of the MM games are a bit on the easy side, but maybe thats because I've played them all so much I know them like the back of my hand!
retrogamer48k wrote:true but its megaman that what you expect from the old one (new ones bad).
Which new ones are you talking about? The later X games weren't as great as the older ones but Capcom did a great job with all 4 Zero games and the ZX series is so far so good. Not as great as the original series but good none the less.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:57 pm

megaman 2 = best music on the NES

I did think they stretched the series out a bit. I think there were on the NES

Megaman X on the SNES was class though

retrogamer48k

Post by retrogamer48k » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:23 am

yeah megaman music is lengedary

thl

Post by thl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:37 am

Use to play the Mega Man series on the Gameboy so often. Also in the GB version of Mega Man II, it does allow you to slide (by pressing Down and A). Strangely this move wasn't featured on the NES version.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:19 pm

thl wrote:Use to play the Mega Man series on the Gameboy so often. Also in the GB version of Mega Man II, it does allow you to slide (by pressing Down and A). Strangely this move wasn't featured on the NES version.
Mega Man 3 for the Nes introduced the slide ability, and the GB version of 2 was released after Mega Man 3 hence why the GB version has slide and the Nes one doesn't. Kind of like how the GB version of Mega Man came after the Nes Mega Man 2 so it used 4 bosses from number 2 (Quickman, Heatman, Bubbleman and Flashman). I really like the way the GB versions created brand new sub boss robots (Well except Quint and his Pogo Stick!). The later ones (3 and 4) were really impressive and barring the lack of colour actually held up really well to the Nes versions (music was near spot on, graphics were really close as well.)

Oh, and I agree that the MM series had great music (though later ones never seemed to catch the spirit of the first 3 in my opinion)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

retrogamer48k

Post by retrogamer48k » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:23 pm

lol you no everything about megaman :) :wink: have choclate cookie

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:39 pm

The soundtrack also makes for some damn good metal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V770s29vlVk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2nXoopSbqos

Game Over's covers are awesome too (can't find the MM2 one to share though).

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm

I bought Megaman NES cart at the weekend for 33p ! (actually it was 3 carts for £1 at the bootfair - other 2 were Jurassic Park and Defender of the Crown).

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Ok.. I'm confused about Mega Man games completely.. they seem to form a mine-field of sequels and spin-offs to rival Bubble Bobble. What are considered the best Mega Man games for hardcore fans? Must admit I've enjoyed the ones I played on the Saturn, but can't remember which ones they were...

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Mega Man 1-3 on the NES are generally considered the best.