Mega Man series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Joppers

Post by Joppers » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:12 am

ShadowMan wrote:The sountrack CD also has 2 additional tracks for the Mystery and Special stages that are yet to be released (they are DLC in October).
Cool. I ordered the CD's from Amazon JP but because I ticked the "minimum number of packages" option, they haven't sent the first CD yet. I expect they're waiting for CD 2 to be released. I'm looking forward to hearing the remixed versions.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:27 am

I'll be nabbing the Arranged album as well, especially looking forward to Magma Man, Tornado Man, Boss and the Wily Stage themes. The official website has a couple of samples up at the moment:
http://www.inti.co.jp/cd/rockman9ast/index.htm
I think the first run also comes with an extra art book.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 am

I've actually decided to go back and give Mega Man (1) another crack to get back into the swing before hitting Mega Man 9 again (probably via Mega Man 2 and 3). I've cleared all the bosses and am now tackling the Wily stage, although I had to go back and get the magnet gun due to forgetting it (and only realising right at the point where you need it :|).

Lots easier than 9, seems like the designers were having a bad day when they created the Ice Man stage though - it's far tougher than the rest!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:04 am

Ice Mans stage is one of the few that still gives me trouble even today, its mainly the floating platforms across the bottomless pit that annoy me especially if they get out of sync with each other making it seemingly impossible to progress any further (some platforms become to high to jump onto).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:56 am

Megaman 9 is now out on the 360, I picked it up yesterday and noticed a couple of little differences between it and the PS3 version.
When displaying in 16:9 the screen is significantly more stretched than the PS3 version, only downer with this is the fact it cuts off the very top and bottom of the screen.
The 360 version only has 38 challenges as opposed to the 50 in the Wii and PS3 versions. The other 12 are the 12 achievements for the game.
The main menu is slightly different, as it has an "achievements" option which displays the achievements, and it has a Downloadable Content option which opens up a blade to the marketplace to easily purchase extras. Can't wait to next Monday when Protoman is up for download!

Control wise the game plays just fine with the analogue stick. I managed to get through the game without any problems and all of the controls felt really accurate. I didn't try the D Pad though as I can't stand the thing.

Also, for anyone who wants to beat the final form of the final boss easily simply use either the Tornado Blow or Black Hole Bomb to get rid of the shots he fires at you, and then use the Plug Ball to deal out significant damage to him. He should die in no time.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:16 pm

From what i've generally heard, this says it all.

Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 am

For anyone trying to go for the Conservationist and Peacekeeper challenges here is what I did to complete both:

Conservationist

Firstly don't use any weapon energy in the 8 Robot Master stages, all can be beaten without using any.

Wily
Fortress 1: Use the Tornado Blow to raise the first platform, and then
again for the next room with the 2 Tornado platforms. For the next
screen use the rush jet to clear the spike pits. You should only need
to use it 3 times in total.

For the first Magma beam use the
rush coil to jump to the ladder, and for the 3 magma beams in the next
room you need to quickly use the rush coil to jump to the middle
ladder. This needs to be done as soon as you enter the room. At the end
of the stage with the spike pit you can either: A. use the rush jet or
b. make sure you have 2 spike items to absorb the damage (this is what
I did)

Fortress 2: Use the laser trident for the first block,
for the next screen if your like me and have problems going across the
platforms simply use the rush coil on the first block to avoid the
whole thing.Use the concrete shot in the first room with the robots
that create the fake bricks to continue up. (rush coil can also be used
but its trickier to pull off)

For the underwater part just
after the mid boss take the upper route to avoid as many of the blocks
as possible (you only need to destroy 3 of them in total and these are
the ones that there is no way around).

Fortress 3: No weapon power needed at all

Fortress 4: Only use 1 concrete block at the very last laser, run through the rest.

And for Peacekeeper:
the way I achieved this was to only kill mid bosses and bosses, no
regular enemies at all. You can destroy the enemies in a boss fight
though (so hornet mans hornets, splash womans fish or the things that
appear in the fortress 2 boss fight).

Its a good idea to use
a cleared save file with 999 bolts (or a lot at very least) as you get
next to no bolts when going for this achievement. Stock up on plenty of
energy tanks and get the 1/2 damage item, you will need them! ***el Man
was the most difficult of the 8 starting bosses. The Rush Coil and Jet
will be weapons you will use alot. The Rush Jet is extremely handy in the fortress stages (especially at the end of Fortress 3)

hungry_hog

16-bit megaman 2 tunes?

Post by hungry_hog » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Anyone know if there are 16-bit versions of the NES megaman 2 themes?

There are lots of remixes on youtube, but these are not chiptunes

I am thinking along the lines of Castlevania's Bloody Tears which had amazing SNES (SC4) and arcade (Haunted Castle) versions of the NES theme.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 am

Closest thing I can think of is checking out the Megaman Power Battle and Power Fighters soundtracks which are arcade games that remix the Megaman soundtracks. Not sure if you'd call it 16 bit level though. Tunes that got remixed include:

Airman (Power Fighters)
Crash Man (Power Battle)
Heat Man (Power Fighters)
Boss Theme (Power Fighters)
Wily Fortress 1 (Power Fighters)
Bubble Man (Power Fighters)

Anyone else playing the endless mode in Megaman 9 here? My top score on the 360 version so far is 229 screens which leaves me in 11th place on the worldwide leaderboards.

Joppers

Post by Joppers » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:31 am

ShadowMan wrote:Anyone else playing the endless mode in Megaman 9 here? My top score on the 360 version so far is 229 screens which leaves me in 11th place on the worldwide leaderboards.
I had a quick go on the Wii version this morning, it's really tough!

The top score on the Wii rankings is currently 3067 screens!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:50 am

I did try the new Megaman game on XBLA but man does it look ruff in HD. Why say it's HD when it's quite clearly not, I mean the original games look a million times better on my original Xbox in 1080i. Why did they not just clean it up a bit to make it look at least half decent instead of the mess it is.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am

C=Style wrote:I did try the new Megaman game on XBLA but man does it look ruff in HD. Why say it's HD when it's quite clearly not, I mean the original games look a million times better on my original Xbox in 1080i. Why did they not just clean it up a bit to make it look at least half decent instead of the mess it is.
Not quite sure what causes that, my copy mostly just suffers to infrequent bluring. The fact the 360 version is stretched to fit the screen more can't help, it actually chops off the very bottom of the screen for me.
However my PS3 copy doesn't seem to suffer so much, it looks clearer (in my opinion), it doesn't stretch the screen so it looks alround better and to top it off the game looks slightly brighter and more vibrant (I think this might be down to my PS3 being connected via HDMI).

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 am

Hey Shadowman, where can i get Mega Man 4-6 on NES? I really loved this series back in the day, and after beating Mega Man yesterday,(for the first time :oops: ) i'm hungry for more Mega Man action!!
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:28 am

nesmaster wrote:Hey Shadowman, where can i get Mega Man 4-6 on NES? I really loved this series back in the day, and after beating Mega Man yesterday,(for the first time :oops: ) i'm hungry for more Mega Man action!!
Your choices are:
Get the original Nes carts - 4 and 5 saw a euro release though 5 is really hard to come by. Ebay is your best bet here. You could also import the American 4-6 carts which are quite easy to find and don't cost a great deal - be careful of international shipping.

Get the complete works releases of Megaman 4-6 on the Playstation. These were only released in Japan but don't go for to much, they also include Arranged soundtracks, navi mode, enemy database and difficulty select for each game.

Get the Megaman Anniversary collection - Probably the best bet, released on PS2, Xbox and Gamecube this collection has Megaman 1-8 and both arcade titles on 1 disk. It was only released in the US though so you'll need to import. The PS2 version is the best choice, it has partial arranged soundtracks for MM1-3 and full arranged soundtracks for MM4-6. It also has better emulation for Megaman 7 (sound effects not screwed up in places like the GC version) miles better emulation for MM8 (awful on GC, everyone sounds all wrong) and the controls are mapped in a more intelligent manner. I haven't played the Xbox version to much but the sound effects in 7 are still off. The PS2 version should also be pretty cheap now, this is your best bet.

Joppers

Post by Joppers » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 am

Finally go these through the post today

I'm interested to hear the remixes, especially Tornado Man's theme!