Mega Man series

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Annie40k

Post by Annie40k » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:43 am

Love the Megaman series, especially the ones on nes. They use to have the most crappy cover art though XD

http://chaosrexmachinae.files.wordpress ... gaman1.jpg

I also like playing Megaman X on snes. That was actually the first one I ever played. Great music and very nice looking sprites. Good stuff.[/img]

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:19 am

Well Megaman 9 was everything people made it out to be, I've just spent the last day playing it and have just completed the game. Nice to see that it was actually difficult (there are some brilliantly tricky parts in there), I managed to beat all the bosses bar Wily's final form with just my buster (not to hard, Plug Man took a bit of experimenting!) Soundtrack is one if not the best in the Megaman series. Definetly my game of the year!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Joppers

Post by Joppers » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Wondered where you'd gone ShadowMan!!

The soundtrack is definitely the best imho, glad I ordered the CD's from Japan!

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 am

ShadowMan wrote:Well Megaman 9 was everything people made it out to be, I've just spent the last day playing it and have just completed the game. Nice to see that it was actually difficult (there are some brilliantly tricky parts in there), I managed to beat all the bosses bar Wily's final form with just my buster (not to hard, Plug Man took a bit of experimenting!) Soundtrack is one if not the best in the Megaman series. Definetly my game of the year!
I saw that game on PSN and the first thing I thought was "I wonder if Shadowman has completed it yet!"

Maybe this is the start of good old games coming out on PSN!!!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 am

bonerlaw wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Well Megaman 9 was everything people made it out to be, I've just spent the last day playing it and have just completed the game. Nice to see that it was actually difficult (there are some brilliantly tricky parts in there), I managed to beat all the bosses bar Wily's final form with just my buster (not to hard, Plug Man took a bit of experimenting!) Soundtrack is one if not the best in the Megaman series. Definetly my game of the year!
I saw that game on PSN and the first thing I thought was "I wonder if Shadowman has completed it yet!"

Maybe this is the start of good old games coming out on PSN!!!
:D I made sure I had the week off so I could play through the game uninterrupted, glad I did as I have already completed it twice and am going for playthrough no.3 tomorrow (as there is a challenge which unlocks if you win it once everyday for 3 days.).

For those that are playing it, here is the weapons to which the bosses are weak against:

Galaxy Man: Concrete Shot (Concrete Man)
Jewel Man: Black Hole Bomb (Galaxy Man)
Plug Man: Jewel Sattelite (Jewel Man)
Tornado Man: Plug Balls (Plug Man)
Magma Man: Tornado Blow (Tornado Man)
Hornet Man: Magma Bazzoka (Magma Man)
Splash Woman: Hornet Chaser (Hornet Man)
Concrete Man: Laser Trident (Splash Woman)
Fortress Boss 1: I found the buster was the best weapon, or the Magma Bazzoka which can hit 2 of the balls in 1 go
Fortress Boss 2: Laser Trident
Fortress Boss 3: Black Hole Bomb
Final Boss 1: Shoot the enemies eggs back at him, so that they hit its jaw
Final Boss 2: Concrete Shot
Final Boss 3: Plug Balls does the most damage but makes it impossible to avoid the enemies attacks, I used hornet chaser (homes in) and magma bazzoka which make hitting the boss easy at a distance.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Just picked this up and think it's excellent. Fiendish difficulty, which actually made me laugh in some parts (like the grabbers on the Galaxy Man stage) and the soundtrack is top notch. More companies need to resurrect old titles in this manner.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:24 pm

Oh and in 30 minutes of playing, I've only reached one boss so far, and picked up 2 achievements (Conqueror and Speed Metal).

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Sureshot wrote:Just picked this up and think it's excellent. Fiendish difficulty, which actually made me laugh in some parts (like the grabbers on the Galaxy Man stage) and the soundtrack is top notch. More companies need to resurrect old titles in this manner.
Oddly it only seems to be Capcom that are making any sort of effort when it comes to such titles.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Never played Megaman, never even seen it running....

What's so good about it??

I may have to look into this seminal cult of a game series...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:42 am

Sureshot wrote:Just picked this up and think it's excellent. Fiendish difficulty, which actually made me laugh in some parts (like the grabbers on the Galaxy Man stage) and the soundtrack is top notch. More companies need to resurrect old titles in this manner.
Those things caught me out the first time round, there is one section in the 3rd fortress stage which I guarantee the things will catch you out!
boggyb68 wrote:Never played Megaman, never even seen it running....

What's so good about it??

I may have to look into this seminal cult of a game series...

B.
I've always loved them because they are simple run and gun platform games which have brilliantly designed levels, fantastic boss characters and an innovative (for the time) power up system (where you earn the powers of a boss once you beat them). Each games soundtrack was also well crafted to go with the flow of the gameplay. Megaman 2 and 3 have some of my favorite tunes in a game ever.
They also have quite a difficulty curve to them, while they are tough to begin with given a little practice they are actually pretty easy to play though.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:48 am

I reckon MM9 is much harder than 1-3 were, what about you, ShadowMan? Unlike those, there isn't one stage that I would say was 'easy' in it.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:30 am

With so many games waiting to be played, and the Christmas release jam rapidly approaching, I don't have much of a threshold for infuriatingly difficult games anymore. MM9 is about as difficult a challenge as I'm currently engaged in, but it's never infuriating. I actually find myself smiling when I die from yet another piece of malicious design genius. I've been smiling quite a lot so far this weekend.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 am

Sureshot wrote:I reckon MM9 is much harder than 1-3 were, what about you, ShadowMan? Unlike those, there isn't one stage that I would say was 'easy' in it.
Well the 2 stages that strike me as easy in this are Galaxy Man and Splash Woman since I never had many problems clearing either (both bosses are quite tame as well). I'd say its harder than most/all of the other games though, there were a few really annoying spots in the original MM that would frustrate me much more though (The boss rush right before Wily being the toughest).
Saying that, if you can be Jewel Man his weapon can be an invaluable asset in clearing the rest of the game. Also check out the shop as there are some excellent power ups to make the game a little easier. The half damage item is fantastic against bosses, and the spikes protector saved me frustration on more than 1 occaision.
The difficulty does seem to taper off somewhat after playing it through a couple of times, I just managed to get the "Invincible" challenge achievement (win the game without loosing a life) :D so it just takes a little time and a lot of dying but I think I've got to grips with each level/boss. Only forseable problem is beating the final boss without using E-Tanks, the final phase is a pig to dodge.

Joppers

Post by Joppers » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 am

I played MM9 yesterday for an hour or two, and it's sooooooooooo hard. I recently played through MM 1-3 on my Famicom to get myself in the mood for this but I'm sure MM9 is much harder than those!

Btw, what's everyone's favourite level music, mine's definitelty Tornado Man!

ShadowMan, I tip my hat to your MM skills :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:51 am

Joppers wrote:I played MM9 yesterday for an hour or two, and it's sooooooooooo hard. I recently played through MM 1-3 on my Famicom to get myself in the mood for this but I'm sure MM9 is much harder than those!

Btw, what's everyone's favourite level music, mine's definitelty Tornado Man!

ShadowMan, I tip my hat to your MM skills :)
Thanks! It took me quite a while to clock it the first time round as I used only the buster through the entire game. Hard as hell in places at first but it has helped in the long run in learning the stages and especially the boss patterns (Plug Man rivals Quick Man and Elec Man for his toughness). When you make it to the fortress the 3rd stage boss is a familiar foe from MM 1 and 3 :wink:
After listening to the soundtrack its hard to say which piece of music is my fav as its all so great but I would probably go far Magma Man's as my favourite overall (in music, stage and boss). The sountrack CD also has 2 additional tracks for the Mystery and Special stages that are yet to be released (they are DLC in October).