Taito Legends 2

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ash

Taito Legends 2

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:56 am

I hadn't played this particular version of Space Invaders until today (through the magic that is Taito Legends 2) but I must say that it is incredible. The original Invaders is now as dull as quadratic equations but the 95 version puts the fun back in.

I love the Parodius style graphics but ultimately I'm enjoying '95 because of the awesome gameplay additions. Power-ups, charge shots, boss batlles and a little bit of bullet hell make this (as far as I'm concerned) the definitive Space Invaders.

Worth buying Taito 2 for alone I'd say.
Last edited by Ash on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danny

Post by Danny » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:06 pm

Ah finaly a topic about Taito Legends 2. Been waiting for one of these to start all day. I would of created one myself but I am to lazy to do so lol.

Yeah I see what you mean about Space Invaders 95. It is a very good game but have you tried space invaders deluxe? It's kinda like SI'95 (Differnt aliens, power up's etc) but with slighty more serious graphics but it still has some wacky humour like the cow aduction bonus stages etc.

Elevator Action Returns is also another game I think many people should play since it's such a wonderful game. It takes the orignal concept and improves on it (extra weapons and enemies, better level layout etc) while also giving the graphics the anime style make over, wicked! :D

Yeah I love Taito Legends 2 but can I ask ya'll soemthing? Which version did you get? I got the Xbox version even though it's £5 more expensive than the PS2 version in game due to Cadash and Bobble Bubble 2. (I already own G Darius on the PSX anyway, got it for £2 in GAME!)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:15 pm

I believe Football Champ is on this pack?
How does it compare to the arcade?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Danny

Post by Danny » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:22 pm

It plays perfectly, in fact everything does (providing you have 60hrz mode on of course! :D) although there is a lack of TATE mode but 90% of people who buy these complations generaly don't care or are to lazy to buy a TV just for TATE mode lol.

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:43 pm

I got this today for the PC (Would've been PS2, but I wanted Bubble Symphony!) and I really like it. Puzzle Bobble 2 particularly, I'd forgotten how great Puzzle Bobble was! That tilting maze one is good fun too, and the balloon one (Which it really shouldn't be!)

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:58 pm

Had this for a few weeks, and it's really stolen way too much of my time. Been hammering the hell out of Elevator Action Returns, Football Champ, Qix and Darius Gaiden!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:17 pm

When did this come out? I went into two GAME stores *and* Gamestation today and didn't see it! Am I blind, or was I just struck blind due to the new OutRun game?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:29 am

CraigGrannell wrote:When did this come out? I went into two GAME stores *and* Gamestation today and didn't see it! Am I blind, or was I just struck blind due to the new OutRun game?
GameStation don't stock games by Explosiv/Empire so you'll only ever see used copies there. GAME should have it though.

Danny

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Yeah there seems to be a little bit of an conspiracy going on when it comes to putting TL2 on the shelves at my local game. It's not technically on the shelves but it's on sale and only if you come up to them and ask them for it will they sell it to you...

I think they are afraid that this might out sale those over priced new releases at the moment so they are hiding it. Because let's face it anyone who brought the original disc knows this one was going to be something special and with the rave reviews this is getting in all the magazines I think this would of out sold a lot of the new releases.

Saying that I've just been playing a c**p load of Dungeon Magic and Elevator Action Returns. They brought back old memories when my local arcades had more in them then fruit machines and dance dance machines heh.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:43 pm

It's nice to see the Retro Gamer score on the front of the PC and PS2 versions.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:11 am

Certainly can't hurt the mag.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:48 pm

It's got Crazy Balloon on it. What more do you want! I remember playing this at a holiday camp in the early 80's. It was hard then and it still is now! At least I don't have to keep shovelling 10p's in....

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:15 pm

Yes it's great value for money...but..Game..Gamestation???? Play.com..come on people!! Legends 2 is £12.99...Legends 1 is £7.99.
If you keep an eye on Play every day, they ALWAYS have some sort of sale. They have some fantastic bargains at the mo in their Easter sale and unlike Amazon free postage on everything.
and no.. i don't work for them!

AFRAID_OF_SUNRISE

Post by AFRAID_OF_SUNRISE » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:36 pm

or u could just go on mame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
very cheap :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

John

Post by John » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:46 am

Anyone know if there are any developer interviews on the Taito Legends 2 disc? I enjoyed watching the video interviews on the first edition, and was happy to get it at a sale price of $10 at Best Buy. :D

I hope it will make it to the U.S., Sega of America brought the first one over, yet they haven't said a word about releasing the second edition.

- John