Weird, strange or unusual Dreamcast games...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Steve Halfpenny

Re:

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:11 pm

Whoops. Double post :S

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:46 am

Some very good titles mentioned so far.
If I could toss me tuppence into the arena:
Tokyo Bus Guide - Driving a bus round Tokyo remembering all the stops.
Hanagumi Taisen Columns 2 - Not really a bizarre game, but the addition of all those weird and wonderful Sakura Wars characters adds much.
Tako no Marine - Mentioned in Retro before, absolutely superb. 8)
Rent a Hero - ditto Become a superhero who's a little hard up and so has to run errands! :shock:
Roommate Asami - Adventure game where you are secretly married to a senior high school student. Only in Japan! :D
Last edited by GenkiVideoGames.com on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

KW

Post by KW » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:05 pm

How are Rent a Hero, Sega Gaga and Roomania to play with the language barrier? I have been tempted but never sure if they are easy to actually pick up

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:16 am

I personally have a wee bit of Japanese knowledge so find Rent a Hero fine. But there are FAQ's available as ever:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamca ... 98450.html
Sega Gaga is also meant to be playable according to the good guys at Hardcore Gaming 101, but as we don't stock that or Roomania can't say I've had the pleasure...

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:58 am

Can anyone let me know what a decent price for a good copy of REZ is?

Is seems to fluctuate wildly on e-bay (so what else is new!)

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:27 pm

GarryG wrote:Can anyone let me know what a decent price for a good copy of REZ is?

Is seems to fluctuate wildly on e-bay (so what else is new!)
I've repeatedly been outbid at £40 for it, though that's a couple of years ago and I believe prices have settled a little since then. Probably around £30-£40 is to be expected.

However... keep your eyes on your local GameStation. They had it priced at a tenner for a long while and I was fortunate enough to pick one up from there at that price. A happy day indeed :D
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:06 pm

The Japanese version usually goes for a wee bit less than the PAL version, if you can play imports. Not sure the same goes for the vibrator controller that was released in special sets though.... :wink:

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:13 pm

GenkiVideoGames.com wrote:The Japanese version usually goes for a wee bit less than the PAL version, if you can play imports. Not sure the same goes for the vibrator controller that was released in special sets though.... :wink:
Its not a controller, just a vibrator...
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GenkiVideoGames.com

Re:

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: Its not a controller, just a vibrator...
Sorry mate, never had the pleasure myself...
That and the Japanese name being the same for Lesbian means ours have never cleared customs. :oops:

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:36 am

I generaly like survival horror type games so I was wondering if it is worth getting Illbleed for the DC, as this seems to have a more unusual take on the standard survival horror theme!

As I believe it came out to mixed reviews i'd appreciate your opinions.
Anybody played this?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Its certainly different. Is it any good? Yes. ish. It has a fair few flaws, but it also has some great moments to it. It doesn't quite build the fear in the way that RE or Silent Hill do, being a bit more arcadey in its play (imho) but it does offer something a little different. Worth it if you can find it cheap, but I wouldn't shell out a large amount. If you go in with low expectations, you won't be disappointed.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:54 am

Thanks.

This all comes back to the ‘What is a good price?’ question.

It seems to be going for the best part of a tenner +P&P on e-bay just now. From what you said I personally would take this to be too much!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:24 am

Nah, I'd say up to a tenner is ok, but then I tend to work on 'pints per pound' value. If a pint of lager costs a couple of quid or thereabouts, you're only going to get a couple of hours worth out of your tenner. (Use a cinema analogy if you're teetotal ;) )

Transpose that figure to games, and you'll easily get more than a couple of hours wasted away playing Illbleed, so that makes it reasonable value.

Its not that common a game (though not rare) so you'll be lucky to see it for less than a fiver.

Questor

Post by Questor » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Ooga Booga is a great game that never got a PAL release AFAIK - great multiplayer, well, I suppose you could call it a beat-em-up, but in the loosest sense of the word!