Weird, strange or unusual Dreamcast games...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GarryG

Weird, strange or unusual Dreamcast games...

Post by GarryG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 am

I’m going to try and collect the strangest, weirdest or most unusual games I can find for the Dreamcast.

There seems to be some really quite bizarre Japanise stuff out for the DC,

Right now top of my list is Seaman

I’ve also seen the following described as ‘weird’ or ‘strange’:
Akihabara Denno-Gumi Pies
Roommania #203
Space Channel 5
D2

Anybody have any suggestions for unusual DC games?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:38 am

Pen Pen Tricelon looks a bit odd. I think it's a track and field type game with penguins? :?

Not sure if it's odd enough for you though cos it got a PAL release.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:05 am

Thanks for the tip, I’ll have look and se if its odd enough ;)

I’m not exclusively looking for Jap stuff (that could get expensive), it’s just that a higher percentage of weird $#!t seems to come from there :D

Jazzem

Post by Jazzem » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:27 am

Pen Pen is awesome! :lol: Nothing beats a spot of belly surfing!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Space Channel 5 is great-up there with Parappa
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mike Chicago

Post by Mike Chicago » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:05 pm

There are many bizarre Dreamcast titles to discover. Sega's hardware swan song pushed gaming way into "blue ocean" territory well before Nintendo started using it as a catch phrase.

Here are a couple off the top of my head:

The Typing of the Dead is very strange, as it's a typing tutor built atop the House of the Dead lightgun engine. Spell the words correctly and blast some zombies' faces clean off. Characters even walk around with Dreamcasts strapped to their backs and are outfitted in front with propped-up keyboard holsters. So fierce! It's great fun, especially when played with friends. The word choice itself can be hilarious even without the black humor of the on-screen undead ultra-violence.

ChuChu Rocket is a must-have. This title should appeal to you, as you are a retro gamer, and this takes a classic puzzler formula with overhead perspective and perverts it with 128-bit speed and berserk polygon counts. You play against your opponents in a race to see who can direct the most mice into his spaceship with carefully placed arrows before time runs out. A simple concept, but frantic switchups in board design and speed, and floods of mice and enemy cats make things totally bonkers almost immediately.

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:34 am

Segagaga
ImageImage
ImageImage
A "Sega simulation game" where you have to help Sega get back on it's feet. Read more about it here.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:41 pm

K-J N. wrote:Segagaga
A "Sega simulation game" where you have to help Sega get back on it's feet.
On the Dreamcast? The irony is delicious :D
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:20 pm

wrestling games?

i have two wrestling games for the ds, who in their right mind loves wrestling games?

very strange

:P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

KW

Post by KW » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Napple Tale. A platformer crossed with RPG sections. Quite good despite the language barrier.

James A

Post by James A » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:19 pm

Wrestling Games? Fire Pro Wrestling D. In what other game can you have a barbed wire, electrified exploding steel cage match? Not Smackdown !!!

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:26 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Space Channel 5 is great-up there with Parappa
Parappa is one of my wifes favorate games so space channel five should be a hit there!
Is the second one ‘space channel five 2’ better than the first on just more of the same? (it's being sold on ebay just now!)

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:52 pm

GarryG wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Space Channel 5 is great-up there with Parappa
Parappa is one of my wifes favorate games so space channel five should be a hit there!
Is the second one ‘space channel five 2’ better than the first on just more of the same? (it's being sold on ebay just now!)
I've not played
It's import only and sells for a lot
(which is why I've not played it)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:22 pm

For DC wrestling, Giant Gram 2000 is king. I've not been a wrestling fan since I was a kid, but this game got me right into it. Superb game made somewhat surreal by the Japanese commentary that throws in odd english words, so you'll get 'jibba jabba arm lock' from him :)

Room Mania is a bit incomprehensible.

Space Channel 5 is fairly standard rhythm action, but its oh so stylish in its presentation - all kitsch 60s sci-fi and funky music. A must have for the system and easily available.

Space Channel 5 part 2 never received a UK release on DC, but it did make it to PS2. For DC, its all in Japanese which does detract from it slightly imo.

Cool Cool Toon is another oddly styled rhythm action game, not as well known as Space Channel 5 but comparable in its uniquness.

Pen Pen Tricelon isn't a great game. Its ok, but I wouldn't spend more than a fiver on it. Not even sure its worth that. If you do like it, the Zusar Vasar might take your fancy as well.

D2 isn't really worth much attention.

Densha De Go! 2 made an appearance on DC and has a dedicated train controller if you really want to splash out.

Personal favourite 'odd' DC game has to be Samba de Amigo with maracas. 3rd party ones aren't quite as good as the originals, but at a fraction of the price they're a decent investment.

Cosmic Smash and Rez both have the currently in vogue vectorised graphics, both play really nicely and are quite retro in many ways.

Sega MArine fishing gets a mention in this month's RG, and I have to agree that with a dedicated controller its a long term favourite of mine. Much fun to be had competing for the biggest catch with friends and even non-gamers can understand it.

If you want to look into *really* odd stuff, there's loads of hentai titles...

I have, quite literally, hundreds of DC games. Just wish GameStation had their bogof offer before I owned them all - its much cheaper now than it was when I started out
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Steve Halfpenny

Re:

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:10 pm

James A wrote:Wrestling Games? Fire Pro Wrestling D. In what other game can you have a barbed wire, electrified exploding steel cage match? Not Smackdown !!!
Brilliant game. In fact I love all the Fire Pro games. FAR more playable than that Smackdown / WWE crap. I miss the fact that I can't download more moves / characters / graphics for the DC version though :(.

Space Channel 5 is also brilliant. The DC had loads of great strange games.