If you could only recommend one game.........

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

If you could only recommend one game.........

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed May 28, 2008 8:51 am

So, the current issue of the mag is the worst ever for me. This is due to the fact that I am just not interested in the games featured.

Im quite narrow minded when it comes to games and there are not many genres which im in to.

So, how about everyone sell the merits of one game - can be old or new and perhaps might broaden my (and others) horizons.

First up then:

Resident Evil 4
The game is amazing fun, full of atmosphere and truly scary moments. On top of that, it looks and sounds amazing and is a cracking action adventure with lots of replay value.

If you can, you should play the Wii version. Whilst there is no additional content it suits the Wii Remote perfectly and is still the most fun ive had with my Wii.

Even if you are programmed to hate the Resident Evil series I recommend you try this.

The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 28, 2008 9:05 am

Earth Defence Force 2017 on the 360.

The AI's dodgy, your character can't walk up kerbs he has to jump up them, there's some underground levels where the ants and spiders can poke their limbs through the walls and due to the dodgy AI the non player characters sometimes just stand there shooting at the walls, bearing all this in mind though it's still an ace game, with you taking on giant ants, spiders, motherships and a few godzilla type creatures. There's a ton of weapon pick ups ranging from assault rifles, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, flame throwers, acid guns and even some sentry style guns like they had in Aliens. On top of all that you can pick it up now for about a tenner.

Splink!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 28, 2008 9:42 am

SOS: The Final Escape (AKA Disaster Report)

A game which features a hero that can't fight, use weapons and gets dehydrated rather easily SOS focuses on you simply surviving. The game features very little in the way of enemies (though 1 or 2 do show up late in the game) the main "boss" of the game is the always imminant threat of earthquakes which happen regularly thoughout the game. Trust me, it plays much better than it sounds on paper, making for a very tense game throughout with a very interesting story that ties the events and characters together. Couple that with several different endings which to accomplish lead you to different locations throughout the game makes for a lot of replayability. It usually doesn't go for to much so check it out, it is now one of my favorite PS2 games.
Also, a semi sequel was released last year called Raw Damage, this time instead of earthquakes the natural disaster is flooding. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to get a PAL version but the USA version is in cheap and easy supply.

My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 am

Guardian Heroes

Excellent game. If you like games like streets of rage, golden axe of final fight then you'll love this.

I heard it has about five different endings which gives it lots of replay value.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 am

Unirally

Over at NowLoading they're all sick to death of me always going on about this (The Last Ginja can confirm this) but I urge you, if you've never played this, do so. Two player if you can. Absolutely intense and hilarious. Oh, and sweary. Never forget sweary.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 28, 2008 10:47 am

For me, in terms of fun - Motorstorm.
Incredibly fast (at times a little unfair), superb physics, crashes and looks great. It's the next-gen title I return to most often.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Ha! I remember that, it was fairly atmospheric for a game. Not bad at all.

If I had to recommend one game, then out of all the fun I've had out of it and for a recent game it would be PGR 4.

As an all round racer, it's probably the best I've played, got the mix between sim and arcade juuuust right. Plus it looks f***ing gorgeous.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed May 28, 2008 11:28 am

Not going well this - the only 2 I haven't played are on a console I don't own!!!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Not going well this - the only 2 I haven't played are on a console I don't own!!!!
What the hell do you want out of us :D
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 pm

I love all of the games listed here (except the SOS one that I have never heard off. But I love the idea of it!).

Surprise, surprise, the game I choose has very little in the way of animation, no music, and you repeat exactly the same level over and again but with slightly increasing difficulty. I recommend Space Invaders.

No, not really, I recommend 3D DEATHCHASE on the 16k ZX Spectrum.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed May 28, 2008 1:47 pm

I've tried to find a long-lasting classic for you for this topic that I can 100% recommend. I know you didn't specifically ask for that but if you can only have one single game for the rest of your life, it has to last a while ;)

So my choice is: Colonization (DOS/Amiga/Win)

A great Civilization derivate by Sid Meier about the colonization of America. It's probably the only game to teach you so much about history while being so much fun. And it still looks fantastic today.

I'd recommend the DOS original or the Remake FreeCol.

DOS

Windows

Amiga

FreeCol
http://www.freecol.org/

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed May 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Sorry people......Snatcher. (the pics iv chosen dont do the game justice, but its hard to pick images that dont reveal a major pllot point in character and setting so take my word for it, its a great game)

The game is limited, a graphic "interactive" digital comic, but the world and story is so engrossing it just keeps you hooked. Inspiration taken from some of the biggest 80's movies. The Terminator and Blade Runner, but also elements from invasion of the body snatchers (the bio-roid menace) and littered with sci-fi, anime and videogame references galore across the 3 different version (MSX, PC-Engine and Sega Mega CD)

Spot giger's Alien having have a drink with the Guyver in outerheaven bar in the Japanese PC-Engine version, or in the Mega CD version have a gander at billy and lance, the contra duo having a good time with goeman.

Log onto Jordan (the junker HQ mainframe) and look up the development staff for the game or even a little neo-kobe history, the game is just well thought out, how about making a few prank calls to sex chat lines?? tryng to find all the videophone numbers is a task in itself (with out cheating ont he web).

Its recomended to only play the Mega CD version becasue its the only English translated copy but unforuntaly is edited, a little graphic blood i.e a dog twitiching and wineing after being butchered and a little boobage is removed from the Mega CD version but otherwise its the best version to start with.

The Japnese only PSX and Saturn version have had a graphical overhaul, dosnt look as good and are heavily edited and have intro removed in favour of crappy mid 90's CGI, eurrgh......

Anyway, its just....wow.....one game to play before you die.....
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed May 28, 2008 2:36 pm

tekaotaku wrote:Sorry people......Snatcher. (the pics iv chosen dont do the game justice, but its hard to pick images that dont reveal a major pllot point in character and setting so take my word for it, its a great game)

The game is limited, a graphic "interactive" digital comic, but the world and story is so engrossing it just keeps you hooked. Inspiration taken from some of the biggest 80's movies. The Terminator and Blade Runner, but also elements from invasion of the body snatchers (the bio-roid menace) and littered with sci-fi, anime and videogame references galore across the 3 different version (MSX, PC-Engine and Sega Mega CD)

Spot giger's Alien having have a drink with the Guyver in outerheaven bar in the Japanese PC-Engine version, or in the Mega CD version have a gander at billy and lance, the contra duo having a good time with goeman.

Log onto Jordan (the junker HQ mainframe) and look up the development staff for the game or even a little neo-kobe history, the game is just well thought out, how about making a few prank calls to sex chat lines?? tryng to find all the videophone numbers is a task in itself (with out cheating ont he web).

Its recomended to only play the Mega CD version becasue its the only English translated copy but unforuntaly is edited, a little graphic blood i.e a dog twitiching and wineing after being butchered and a little boobage is removed from the Mega CD version but otherwise its the best version to start with.

The Japnese only PSX and Saturn version have had a graphical overhaul, dosnt look as good and are heavily edited and have intro removed in favour of crappy mid 90's CGI, eurrgh......

Anyway, its just....wow.....one game to play before you die.....
there is a little cheat in the mega cd version to make it completely uncensored. I tried it. And I can't tell if it worked!! :?

anyway, my choice........is.........

SAM FOX STRIP POKER!!!

nah, just kidding. my choice is, in fact,

Blade Runner on Pc.

Multiple endings, awesome graphics, atmospheric music curtiousy of Vangelis, fantastic voice acting, a cool shooting section, nice twists in the storyline and it worls in XP.
It deserves the Blade Runner name attached to it. A fine point and click adventure that stands up there with Indiana Jones, Monkey Island 1 and 2 and Sam and Max with clue collecting.

top stuff!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed May 28, 2008 2:43 pm

hydr0x wrote: So my choice is: Colonization (DOS/Amiga/Win)
You have good taste man. A cracking choice. I only played it on Amiga but the game just absorbed me just like how Civilization did, I can sit down to have a quick go and before I know it 4 hours have passed and I can't tear myself away from the screen.. Both of them 2 games are the best strategy games I've ever played, Sim City 4 on PC is also great.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed May 28, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm going to give some loving to Escape Velocity Nova, on the Mac and PC. It's actually considered the weakest EV game so far, but since it's on the PC as well as Mac I'll go for this one.

It's a space trading/combat/adventure game, kind of like a 2D Elite but with much more emphasis on action.

You have the basic structure of taking on missions and trading to earn cash, upgrade your ship and eventually buy a new one. There are factions to consider, and an overarching storyline to get involved in. The graphics are small and perfectly formed (and animated) and it has that compulsion that all open-ended games share, where you're always a few credits short of your next shiny new item.

The galaxy starts off uncharted and you have to venture into the far reaches of it to uncover the storyline and the more exciting loot. If you're hardcore enough you can play it in an Ironman mode with permanent character death.

It's an indie game available as a digital download, and for $30 it's an absolute steal. There's a great community around it and plenty of mods to tinker with (one of which recreates the original EV game for the Windows version). I've sunk a vast amount of time into it.