If you could only recommend one game.........

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm

there is a little cheat in the mega cd version to make it completely uncensored. I tried it. And I can't tell if it worked!! :?

anyway, my choice........is.........

SAM FOX STRIP POKER!!!

nah, just kidding. my choice is, in fact,

Blade Runner on Pc.

Multiple endings, awesome graphics, atmospheric music curtiousy of Vangelis, fantastic voice acting, a cool shooting section, nice twists in the storyline and it worls in XP.
It deserves the Blade Runner name attached to it. A fine point and click adventure that stands up there with Indiana Jones, Monkey Island 1 and 2 and Sam and Max with clue collecting.

top stuff!!!
Excellent choice Blade Runner, theres a creepy bit in the game where one character is talking about Frank Sinartra, about how "ole blue eyes died in 1997" (or sometime close to that) and then in 1998 old franky boy died in the real world.....creepy lol.....

Yea the Snatcher "konami" input on Jordan dosnt work, you get a jingle to confirm it but nothing changes! Its maybe a nod the classic "konami" cheat code from the NES days etc but otherwise it dont work!
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed May 28, 2008 3:18 pm

LocoRoco! Image

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Wed May 28, 2008 4:52 pm

C=Style wrote:
hydr0x wrote: So my choice is: Colonization (DOS/Amiga/Win)
You have good taste man. A cracking choice.
Thanks. I was thinking about mentioning Terra Nova by Looking Glass instead because it's so unknown but decided that it's definitely not the best game out there or even close to it ;)

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed May 28, 2008 8:07 pm

I was going to go for a PC game, but I couldn't make a choice between Thief2, System Shock 2, Civ 2 or master of orion 2. Or indeed Freeciv. so My choice :
Flatout Ultimate Carnage on the 360.
I've played just about every driving game on the 360, and whilst PGR4, Burnout P and Dirt come close, and i'm hoping GRID will beat it, it's the most fun i've had on the console. To me it out burnouts-burnout; fantastic graphics, simple but deceptively deep gameplay, a party mode that beats Super Monkey Ball and, perhaps most importantly, sheer, uncontrolled chaos! Controls are a bit dodgy at times, the multiplayer which was once superb is a bit dead now and it is pretty much the same as Flatout 2, but it's still damn good fun.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed May 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Monkey Island 2 - simply the best game ever created, regardless of genre. It's perfect in just about every aspect - graphics are great, music is fantastic and the story is an excellent continuation of the first game, puzzles are perfect, pace is perfect etc etc.

It's the pinnacle of the genre, and the high point of computer games in general.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu May 29, 2008 2:17 am

Space_turnip wrote:I was going to go for a PC game, but I couldn't make a choice between Thief2, System Shock 2, Civ 2 or master of orion 2. Or indeed Freeciv.
All of those would have been excellent choices. I can only recommend playing them if you haven't. Of course you should start with the first Thief and System Shock ;)

KeatonCar

Post by KeatonCar » Thu May 29, 2008 2:16 pm

OUTRUN.

I would hunt this out to play in any arcade. I traded my spectrum+2 for a master system just because I knew it was coming out and wasn't let down by it or the system.

Hell, I chose a PC Engine initally to play Victory Run as it was closer to the arcade version of Outrun... it had trucks.

Now, I own an arcade version of it, so it has to be Outrun.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 29, 2008 4:01 pm

KeatonCar wrote:OUTRUN.
That's cool - is it the upright or the hydrolic sit down one? Post some pics........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu May 29, 2008 4:06 pm

I nearly bought the Deluxe sit-down version for £750 a few years ago, but there was no way to get it in my house. :(

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 30, 2008 2:28 am

I almost got one for £440. But would have been wasted in the garage.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri May 30, 2008 6:33 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
KeatonCar wrote:OUTRUN.
That's cool - is it the upright or the hydrolic sit down one? Post some pics........
Got a funny feeling I may be disapointed here :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 am

Hasn't that Dragon's Lair fella got an Outrun cab with a pc so that it plays all of the outrun games? Sure he posted a link to a vid on here a while ago. I would love a set up like that.

David

Post by David » Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 am

Pirates! Gold on the Amiga CD32

I had never even heard of any of the previous Pirates games (C64, etc) whej I discovered this.

I had spunked £399 on a CD32 (well, my parents had :D) and the poor choice of games was beginning to annoy me. Then I found this in a 2nd hand shop and thought I would give it a try.

Had never tried this type of game before and just became completely addicted to it.

Great Fun.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am

Xbox/PS2/PC/GC Conan.

Ignore the reviews, by jaded journos who marked it down because it wasn't GTA, and revel in the fact that it's the most like a 3D Golden Axe game that you can currently buy.

Thoughts and prayers.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Fri May 30, 2008 9:51 am

David wrote:Pirates! Gold on the Amiga CD32

I had never even heard of any of the previous Pirates games (C64, etc) whej I discovered this.

I had spunked £399 on a CD32 (well, my parents had :D) and the poor choice of games was beginning to annoy me. Then I found this in a 2nd hand shop and thought I would give it a try.

Had never tried this type of game before and just became completely addicted to it.

Great Fun.
Yeah, it's a good game, but the grittier and more realistically looking Amiga version is miles better, imo. I'm not a big fan of the cartoon style and awkward animations.