Unsung heros..Games that never got justice

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JMK853

Unsung heros..Games that never got justice

Post by JMK853 » Sat May 24, 2008 6:43 am

I have been playing Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine..
Yes I know it got bad reviews and yes, it is a tomb raider rip off.
But to be honest, the whole Tomb Raider series was a rip off of the Indiana Jones movies.
It has tons of hours of game play, great graphics and humor.
This is not the first time I played a game that was slated by the reviewers, but turned out to be a little cracker.

Is there any more out there I missed because I trusted the reviewers?
Last edited by JMK853 on Sat May 24, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is the future

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat May 24, 2008 7:11 am

I don't remember this game... What system was it on?
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat May 24, 2008 9:29 am

One of my top-ten favourite games of all time is Space Station Silicon Valley by DMA Design on the N64. It got good reviews as I recall, it's just that no one bought it or played it. :( It's so quirky and funny, I love playing it, it's a good mood improver too. :)

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat May 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Spooky wrote:I don't remember this game... What system was it on?
n64 & pc definately as i have both, not sure if there was a playstation release

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat May 24, 2008 2:28 pm

There wasn't.

There was however, a gameboy color one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat May 24, 2008 2:43 pm

Zool 2

The first game was quite dreadful but Zool 2 got everything right. It's an incredibly playable and skillful platformer (which I recently re-discovered), by far the best the Amiga ever saw where all out arcade gameplay is concerned. It's criminally overlooked yet it stands head & shoulders above most big-name 16-bit platformers of the same era and can hold it's head up with the very best of em.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat May 24, 2008 2:49 pm

Dudley wrote:There wasn't.

Am I thinking of the correct game, was there an xbox version???

I remember playing an Indy demo which was very tomb raider-ish......that was about 2 yrs ago though.....

Good little game if it is the same one...

JMK853

Post by JMK853 » Sat May 24, 2008 2:54 pm

C=Style wrote:Zool 2

The first game was quite dreadful but Zool 2 got everything right. It's an incredibly playable and skillful platformer (which I recently re-discovered), by far the best the Amiga ever saw where all out arcade gameplay is concerned. It's criminally overlooked yet it stands head & shoulders above most big-name 16-bit platformers of the same era and can hold it's head up with the very best of em.

Thanks..will try that ....
The past is the future

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat May 24, 2008 3:12 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:
Dudley wrote:There wasn't.

Am I thinking of the correct game, was there an xbox version???

I remember playing an Indy demo which was very tomb raider-ish......that was about 2 yrs ago though.....

Good little game if it is the same one...
that was Emperor's Tomb, which was really good. shame it wont run on the laptop.... :(
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ravenschamber

Post by ravenschamber » Sat May 24, 2008 3:57 pm

I think ICO deserves more recognition that it has.

Many people say that once a game can make you cry, then our hobby is considered a art form. Well I wouldn't say that ICO made me cry, but it does tug on your heart strings a bit.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat May 24, 2008 5:57 pm

ravenschamber wrote:I think ICO deserves more recognition that it has.

Many people say that once a game can make you cry, then our hobby is considered a art form. Well I wouldn't say that ICO made me cry, but it does tug on your heart strings a bit.
It was a beautiful game, but not that fun... I did enjoy the story and the design of the characters, but playing it was less enjoyable for me.

Fighting Force (PS1) was a game I liked a lot at the time, but since I'm a big fan of Final Fight-like games, I'm biased...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat May 24, 2008 7:07 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:One of my top-ten favourite games of all time is Space Station Silicon Valley by DMA Design on the N64. It got good reviews as I recall, it's just that no one bought it or played it. :( It's so quirky and funny, I love playing it, it's a good mood improver too. :)
Good shout, I love that game. Lots of clever puzzles too. I also loved Body Harvest (also by DMA).

Blast Corps on N64, despite decent reviews, didn't do as well as it deserved....it was a cracker :)

And Cruis'n World (also on N64) was a great, fun racing game, a lot like an early version of Outrun 2....unfortunately, the N64 port of Cruis'n USA was so crap that almost everybody avoided the sequel. :(

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun May 25, 2008 5:02 am

Bouncer - PS2. I still think if somebody based a game on this and simply fleshed it out a bit, fixed irritations and added what needed to be added it has the basis of a relly excellent game. Plus I played it through easily a dozen times to get all the endings and then just kept on playing.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

tranceinyapantz

Post by tranceinyapantz » Sun May 25, 2008 7:21 am

This will show my true age, Ha-ha. One of the most over looked games on the ZX Spectrum was Bugaboo (the flea) by Quicksilver. Possibly down to it's rarity. I remember the graphics being outstanding compared to what was around at the time (1983) and unique to anything else that was out there... :lol:

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun May 25, 2008 9:29 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:
Blast Corps on N64, despite decent reviews, didn't do as well as it deserved....it was a cracker :)

And Cruis'n World (also on N64) was a great, fun racing game, a lot like an early version of Outrun 2....unfortunately, the N64 port of Cruis'n USA was so crap that almost everybody avoided the sequel. :(

So true mate, I've always wanted a Blast Corpse sequel, top game indeed. Infact the N64 has a few unnoticed gems.

Did you ever play San Francisco Rush? possibly the most unrealistic game I've ever played :lol: once you got the hang of the controls it was great, you'd go up a ramp, then just as much as hit a wall and the car would somersault, then land!
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned