Top 10 Video Game Books

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

wienerman

Post by wienerman » Mon May 19, 2008 2:48 pm

has anyone read "grand theft childhood" ? and is it good ?

ravenschamber

Post by ravenschamber » Sat May 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Yeah, I think Supercade deffinately ranks among the best. Not for gaming history, but for all the nice glossy pictures. HC edition is the one you want.

I read Game Over and Power-Up 2 times so they are excellent books. Very informative.

These are the books I have..

Supercade
1000 Game Heroes
Digital Press Collectors Guide Classic
Digital Press Collectors Guide Advence
Game On
Electronic Plastic
The Encyclopedia of Arcade Video Games
The Official Price Guide to Video Games
The Ultimate History of Video Games
Arcade Fever
Power-Up
High Score
Guiness Book of World Records Gamers Edition 2008
The Medium of the Video Game
Blue Wizard is About to Die (Video game poetry)
Masters of Doom
Dungeons and Dreamers
Gamers
Japanese Game Graphics
Video Games in the Beginning
The Making of Doom 3
Game Over
Twin Galaxies Official Book of Records

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:01 pm

I'll bump this topic as it's been bought into current interest again with the preorder of the 8 Bit Book on Hiive mentioned in other topics.
I had no idea so many books were available, this list has given me a few more to look out for. 'Masters of Doom' is one I'd seen but never really worried about, but it sounds rather good, and was amazed it featured so high up a top ten list.

I don't have the full ten, but my faves from the list are Ultimate guide to, and High Score...one for it's depth and attempt to cover the whole history, the other for it's nice coffee table read with fabbo pics.
Game Over was the first book I found, and is totally engrossing for any Nintendfan.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:13 pm

actually, I lie. Think the first one I found was Phoenix, which I just read till my eyes bled at the time. I should check out the more updated versions, it does sound it's getting better and better, more and more accurate

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:15 am

I would recommend both Masters of Doom and The Ultimate History of Video Games.

My fav is Masters of Doom, but that could be a programmer thing...

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:23 am

I picked up 'The Rough Guide to Videogames ' recently to read on holliday. It didn't teach me anything new, but was quite well written and interesting. It does a fair job of skimming through Videogames right from the beginings to current day. Not earth shatering, but worth a look.

And now a question. Should I get 'Dungeons and Desktops'? I've read some very good and very bad things about this book, and was recently asked if I'd like it for xmas by a relative. Has anybody got it? What do you think?

Yes, I'm well into RPGs ;)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 am

Just finished reading: (for the second time)

Absolutley brilliant. Goes right back to bagatelle and works its way through from there. Being a pinball fan too its got some good history of that thrown in.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm

GarryG wrote:And now a question. Should I get 'Dungeons and Desktops'? I've read some very good and very bad things about this book, and was recently asked if I'd like it for xmas by a relative. Has anybody got it? What do you think?
I've not read it yet, but I have it on the shelf. It looks good, nice cover art that matches the 70s/80s fantasy art theme perfectly. Based on many forum discussions with Matt and other articles he's written for Armchair Arcade, I have no doubts it'll be a cracking read.

Matt Barton was also recently a guest on Chatterbox Video Game Radio show 244, where he chatted about RPGs. You may find it interesting, you can download it from the 'recent shows' section of the website here:
http://www.chatterboxgameshow.com/
(or get it via iTunes)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Anyone read Rob's "Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman"? I'll pick it up at some point.

Rob ran OPCFG, a classic fansite that dates back to 1998 (!)

http://www.lulu.com/content/1197308 ($15 at Lulu)

Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman is the story of one man's view of the ever changing world of videogames and the impact they've had on his life throughout the years. From the fall of Atari to the emergence of the Sony PlayStation and beyond, Rob relates the experiences that he and his friends had during the golden age of gaming, his experiences with importing and his feelings on the current state of gaming. Also featured are additional contributions by Len Clark, Mike Plasket, Sam A. McComb, Ian Donegan and Sage Lennon Gerard

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
GarryG wrote:And now a question. Should I get 'Dungeons and Desktops'? I've read some very good and very bad things about this book, and was recently asked if I'd like it for xmas by a relative. Has anybody got it? What do you think?
I've not read it yet, but I have it on the shelf. It looks good, nice cover art that matches the 70s/80s fantasy art theme perfectly. Based on many forum discussions with Matt and other articles he's written for Armchair Arcade, I have no doubts it'll be a cracking read.

Matt Barton was also recently a guest on Chatterbox Video Game Radio show 244, where he chatted about RPGs. You may find it interesting, you can download it from the 'recent shows' section of the website here:
http://www.chatterboxgameshow.com/
(or get it via iTunes)
If all goes well, the Armchair Arcade guys will be publishing another book with Hiive Books in the coming months...
They're a bit burnt out with their latest effort currently though.

Andrew

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:56 pm

STranger81 wrote:Just finished reading: (for the second time)

Absolutley brilliant. Goes right back to bagatelle and works its way through from there. Being a pinball fan too its got some good history of that thrown in.
Yep, that'd be my fave. It's just awesome, and I'm due for another read.

Found Masters of Doom online second hand...can't wait for it.

Totaljapon

Post by Totaljapon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:49 am

Hello Everyone!

It's in French but this one is actually the most complete Nintendo's History's book.
This is the Issue #1 from "Editions Pix'n Love", a young video game dedicated books edition company located in Paris about the period "1889-1980" of the Japanese History of Nintendo.
228 pages in full color for a period people usually resume in 3 or 4 lines on the Internet. More than 600 icredible and forgotten toys, cards, arcade games, items presented...
More details on the official WS:
http://editionspixnlove.fr

Look by yourself:

(they ship their books everywhere in the world (paypal, CB etc)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 am

Spam !!!!!!!!

Seriously the book looks good but as its in french i'm not interested one bit unless theres an english version.

Doing a search by your username shows you pimping this book quite a bit...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B_beC9XC9XI

At least admit you work for them !! Bit of honesty is better than the usual 'this book is so great i found....' !

Anyway i do honestly love the way the book looks with all the screenshots etc but again as its in french , big no no.

Totaljapon

Post by Totaljapon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:28 am

psj3809 wrote:Spam !!!!!!!!
Hi!
Thanks for your warm welcome! :D

No, sorry, i don't work for them.
Well, few employees of this company are friends, but i don't get any YEN/EURO/PENNY or BEER for posting here. ;)
I'm just a retrogamer who loves their work. They don't know I'm posting here.

I also read Retrogamer every month and I just found this forum. I was a little bit sad that the UK retrogamers community don't know about Pix'n Love.
May be they are working on a translation. I don't know but there is a big chance to have it one day.

That's all. ;)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:57 am

Hmmm weird as your username was also on youtube about their book printing as well ?!?!

Like i say the book does look very good, would like this to be in english, hopefully one day. Look to be a fair few books/mags at that website but again all in french