Nintendo wii....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed May 21, 2008 2:37 pm

I checked out WiiWare last night but the six games on there don't look that interesting. Not counting Dr. Mario which I had on the original Gameboy anyway.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed May 21, 2008 4:11 pm

LostWinds or whatever it is is supposed to be excellent if a bit short, (7 or 8 hours i've heard)
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:LostWinds or whatever it is is supposed to be excellent if a bit short, (7 or 8 hours i've heard)
That's more than long enough - that will last me for weeks.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ravenschamber

Post by ravenschamber » Sun May 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Anybody notice the Wavebirds jump in price on eBay lately? Those GC cords are just too short or have we all gotten spoiled with wireless technology LOL!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun May 25, 2008 4:02 pm

ravenschamber wrote:Anybody notice the Wavebirds jump in price on eBay lately? Those GC cords are just too short or have we all gotten spoiled with wireless technology LOL!
Wavebirds? WHAT ARE THEY?

timewarpgamer

What's with Nintendo's stance on producing Wavebirds?

Post by timewarpgamer » Sun May 25, 2008 4:53 pm

sscott wrote:
ravenschamber wrote:Anybody notice the Wavebirds jump in price on eBay lately? Those GC cords are just too short or have we all gotten spoiled with wireless technology LOL!
Wavebirds? WHAT ARE THEY?
Wavebirds are the best wireless controllers ever made for the GameCube. For some inane reason, Nintendo has not continued to produce them, even when faced with the Wii's runaway success. I picked up some a while back and was surprised by how well used Wavebirds held their value. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the prices started jumping up on eBay.

ravenschamber

Post by ravenschamber » Sun May 25, 2008 4:56 pm

They have held their value quite well. I have seen them kitting $30 each used. They are truly great controllers and very well built. I have yet to wear one out.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Mon May 26, 2008 3:24 pm

But have Wavebirds any rumble functions?

I kinds like the vibration, so i'd rather have some wires

ravenschamber

Post by ravenschamber » Mon May 26, 2008 4:31 pm

Nope, for some reason they took out the rumble feature.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:48 am

I do like these rip-offs :D

'KenSingTon Sport Vii' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wed_bW8iiEw
'VC-1' Cartridge - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXHGcQrUXxU
'Tilt Games' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-aTfLayXwQ (incidentally, I remember owning an LCD game that seems exactly the same as the racing one about 15 years ago or so).

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:18 am

I can recommend Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, Trauma Centre (Second Opinion) and Wii Play.

Wii Sports is awesome as well. Big Beach Sports looks good too.

Remember - Wii games can be got for a very cheap price. Play have a realy good sale at the moment.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:10 am

These are the games I've got, I've enjoyed all of them so far so I spose these are my recommendations....

Mario Kart (just brilliant)
Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games (feel that upper arm burn the next day)
Wii Fit (feel that calf burn the next day after "Full Island Lap" jogging)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (for the days you need to rest your arms a bit)
Warioware Smooth Moves (great party game)
TV Show King (Wiiware download: it cost about seven quid I think, and we easily got that much fun out of it the first night we downloaded it with a few ales inside us)

I rented Mario Party 8 for a few days, I think we saw all there is to see TBH.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:08 am

djcarlos wrote:TV Show King
What's the difficulty level like on this? Is it largely speed of response based or turn based for questions and answers? What sort of questions does it ask? Are there a decent mix of 'easy' questions?

Curious as I and some of my friends do enjoy Buzz, but Mrs Ant isn;t a huge fan of it as her reactions aren't quite as fast and her head isn't quite so full of obscure and useless rubbish. With more generalised/pop questions and a more turn based play system she'd enjoy quiz games more.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:55 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
djcarlos wrote:TV Show King
What's the difficulty level like on this? Is it largely speed of response based or turn based for questions and answers? What sort of questions does it ask? Are there a decent mix of 'easy' questions?

Curious as I and some of my friends do enjoy Buzz, but Mrs Ant isn;t a huge fan of it as her reactions aren't quite as fast and her head isn't quite so full of obscure and useless rubbish. With more generalised/pop questions and a more turn based play system she'd enjoy quiz games more.
It has three difficulty levels.

All four players (some computer controlled if ya like) answer at the same time, the quickest gets most points, the slowest (correct) gets least.

All sorts of questions, exactly the kind of thing you'd get on Eggheads, not University Challenge.

Some of the easy questions are a bit too easy.

There are two modes, one where you have four players with a "wheel of fortune" spin between each round. The other is one player, you just keep going until you get one wrong. Our record was 50, but we were quite drunk by that time.

I think there are 3000 questions, but i might be wrong.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 am

Sounds like it might be worth a punt then. Might pick it up for this weekend, we've not much on after being out for the last few weeks so it'll fill the void with a few drinkies at home.
Warm up with this and then onto Ultrastar I think.