Canned games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 am

Some time before GTA 3 there was a game which was much like the later Rockstar hit. Should be released for the PC and looked absolutely stunning for the time. You played as kind of a mercenary in a nearfuture metropolis. I can't recall its name, but I was really excited about it. But it was canned :(

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri May 16, 2008 6:17 am

Dinosaur Planet before it became Star Fox adventures, but on the N64.
I played an early version of it yonks ago when it was still on N64 and it was awesome. Then it all changed and went a bit wet.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 16, 2008 7:04 am

Capcom Fighting All Stars - Just to fight as Hagger from Final Fight really

Contra Spirits 64 - Don't really know much about this game, but any sequel to one of my favourite games of all time would be worth a shot.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri May 16, 2008 7:09 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Hagger
:roll:

;)

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Fri May 16, 2008 7:09 am

Star Wars Super Bombad Racing on the Dreamcast, not to mention Austin Powers Mojo Racer for the Dreamcast, and a complete version of Half Life.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri May 16, 2008 7:17 am

Castlevania for the Dreamcast, just because I'm a big fan of the Castlevania series.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 16, 2008 7:18 am

MikeHaggar wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Hagger
:roll:

;)
Sorry, Haggor

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:30 am

sirclive1 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Bandersnatch on the Speccy was gonna be a great , possibly the best ever game - canned
Bandersnatch morphed into Shadow of the Unicorn, which did get a release.
No it didn't !

Shadow of the unicorn was a totally seperate game , different authors , different company (mikro gen) who never worked / linked with imagine.
I was under the impression that the Shadow of the Unicorn hardware (and the core code that drives it) were the core of Bandersnatch, as Mikro-gen picked it up following the death of Imagine. If that's wrong, where did I get that idea from? Was it wrongly reported somewhere? I've believed that since it came out!

As for canned games - I remember one I really was looking forward to:
EXO, by Particle Systems. Following one of my fave games, Independence War, I was sorely disappointed to see it die. Great team of guys, very supportive of their fans, it could have been big but for the death of Argonaut.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri May 16, 2008 8:12 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Sorry, Haggor
:lol:

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Fri May 16, 2008 8:34 am

During my short stint at developing for a large well known UK development company, I worked on two titles; both of which got canned.
Which one then? I worked for a large UK developer for a long while who canned loads of promising and not so promising games. Until ultimately, the company was canned.
I think therefore I'm right!

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Fri May 16, 2008 9:02 am

Which company or titles? Neither game had a title really, and neither were announced as forthcoming games. Both were hugely generic.

The company is still going and has a vast Dizzy-ing amount of titles some of which are nothing but Dirt and some of which may ride quite high on the gaming Grid...uh...

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 am

Well, I can't possibly hope to get it when you speak in such rediculous code, you have clearly spent many years learning to be circumspect, a true master one might say.

Anyhow, the company I worked for canned many a title, some of which had been going for a very long time! The company is dead as a dodo now and a few smaller developers have sprung from the ashes. Pity we where unable to utilise the fabled Golden Fleece, found by a chap called Jason, ably assisted by a group of guys whose collective name inexplicably escapes me. If you know what I mean and I'm sure that you do.

It's an interesting question though. As much as it's a real disappointment to see a game you are waiting to play get canned (I was looking forward to the Babylon 5 game) it can be soul destroying to have a game you where developing for a number of years at times stopped dead in it's tracks. I have seen a lot of developers become disenchanted as a result. I wasn't a developer working in IT as I do so I was able to see all this from a slightly middle viewpoint.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri May 16, 2008 9:17 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
hydr0x wrote:Donkey Kong Racing
If that's the bongo game you're referring to, then it saw a Wii release instead. Its terrible.
No, not that one, although I'm sure a GameCube version actually using the
bongos would have been better than the Wii version :(

I'm taking about the Rare game, see also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Fri May 16, 2008 9:19 am

Sherringford Hovis wrote: The company is dead as a dodo now and a few smaller developers have sprung from the ashes.
..I misread that as...oh never mind.

I think you had a lucky escape. I have never been more depressed by the offices of a games company; than the day I went for an interview in Edgware.

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Fri May 16, 2008 9:50 am

Yeah, it was hardly the promised land.

Had some good time there but there was some bad too (and in some cases, tragic). Still, it was an experience.

I could name a couple of games that had real potential but where canned for no good reason. Conversely, I can name loads of games that perhaps should have been canned yet strangely got a release!:)