Canned games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Canned games

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Why is it that all the games I'm soooo looking forward to end up being canned?

Lord Of The Rings on 2600 - Wow! LOTR on my first console! was gonna be great until it was - canned

Bandersnatch on the Speccy was gonna be a great , possibly the best ever game - canned

Scooby Doo with it's cartoon graphics looked awesome - canned , and replaced with an average platformer

Mire Mare , Ultimate's ultimate game - canned

Warcraft Adventures , looked really interesting - canned

Secret of Vulcan Fury on PC - Man , that game looked awesome - canned

What games have YOU beeen waiting for for ages , only to see them end up in development hell?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu May 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Stargate SG1 - canned and replaced with a MMO that will probably never see the light of day.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Brutal Sports Football on the Mega Drive.

I saw an early preview of this in CVG once, but it had been renamed to 'Beastball' for the MD. Soon after laying eyes on it, I remember going into at least two or three games shops to ask if they had any more information about a release, but got blank looks each time. Never heard anything about it again, so I assume it bit the bucket during development.
Last edited by Sureshot on Thu May 15, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Sureshot wrote:Brutal Sports Football on the Mega Drive.

I saw an early preview of this in CVG once, but it had been renamed to 'Beastball' for the MD. Soon after laying eyes on it, I remember going into at least two or three games shops to ask if they had any more information about a release, but got blank looks each time. Never heard anything about it again, so I assume it bit the bucket.
It came out on Amiga
Ok , but no great shakes
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu May 15, 2008 5:50 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Brutal Sports Football on the Mega Drive.

I saw an early preview of this in CVG once, but it had been renamed to 'Beastball' for the MD. Soon after laying eyes on it, I remember going into at least two or three games shops to ask if they had any more information about a release, but got blank looks each time. Never heard anything about it again, so I assume it bit the bucket.
It came out on Amiga
Ok , but no great shakes
Yeah I know, it came out for PC and Jaguar too (the latter of which I own now). But, I had a 'Drive at the time and was really hankering for a copy after playing it on my cousin's Miggy.

Antiriad2097

Re: Canned games

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Bandersnatch on the Speccy was gonna be a great , possibly the best ever game - canned
Bandersnatch morphed into Shadow of the Unicorn, which did get a release.

I'm more concerned with all the games that aren't getting Wii releases. There's a DS Call of Duty 4, but no Wii version.
Same happened with GC, missing loads of 3rd party games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

coevin

Post by coevin » Thu May 15, 2008 6:00 pm

This is a good topic and reminded me of Robocop on the gameboy advance. The game was delayed but i did see a review in nintendo power got a terriable score, however whenever i asked about in the local stores they looked as if i was mad. Anyone know what happened to this one.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu May 15, 2008 9:12 pm

SirClive wrote:Stargate SG1 - canned and replaced with a MMO that will probably never see the light of day.
i was quite looking forward to that. it even had the original series cast in. Great, i thought. couldn't wait....then..oh, no, canned.
Why? MGM said it didn't look good enough. And yet these are the people who released Tomorrow Never Dies on PS1 (although i did like it a bit. controls were naff)

Then, you also have The World Is Not Enough for PC. I was so looking forward to this. Using the updated Quake 3 engine and was in development for months on end until......cancelled.
Damn it all. and yet look at the crap thats released now: games that look good but dont last long/play like a dogs dinner
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri May 16, 2008 1:20 am

a lot of GameCube games I was looking forward too were cancelled

Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball
Unity
Donkey Kong Racing
Dead Phoenix
Kirby (Unnamed Platformer)
Starcraft: Ghost

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:24 am

hydr0x wrote:Donkey Kong Racing
If that's the bongo game you're referring to, then it saw a Wii release instead. Its terrible.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 16, 2008 3:40 am

Shenmue III. Would have probably gotten released had the DC not died. I doubt I'll ever see the end of that series. Ditto with Mega Man Legends 3, Inafune wants to make it (along with Dead Rising 2) but Capcom say no.
Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 - SNK had a 70% or so finished version apparantly but it died with SNK when they originally went bankrupt, I'd love to see it get a release one day.
Resident Evil 1.5 would have been nice to see a release (even though 2 was excellent) just because I a huge Reisdent Evil fan, same with the early versions of Resident Evil 4, the ones with the shadowy hook creature and traditional zombies, which would have had Leon go to Umbrella HQ.
Lastly, although it was not looking spectacular I would have liked to have played Frame City Killer for the Xbox 360, it was at least an interesting premise but Namco canned it before it really got anywhere.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Fri May 16, 2008 4:42 am

True Fantasy Live on Xbox looked awesome, still does even by this generations standards. Shame we wil never see it, consoles need more mmorpgs.
Just where is Mickey T?

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:52 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Bandersnatch on the Speccy was gonna be a great , possibly the best ever game - canned
Bandersnatch morphed into Shadow of the Unicorn, which did get a release.
Antiriad2097 wrote:

No it didn't !

Shadow of the unicorn was a totally seperate game , different authors , different company (mikro gen) who never worked / linked with imagine.

Parts of the code in bandersnatch were used in the game - Gift from the gods programmed by Denton Designs.
Last edited by sirclive1 on Fri May 16, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 16, 2008 4:55 am

Agreed with Shenmue III.

Also :

Killer Instinct 3 - RARE put numerous references of the game in some of their other titles.

Duke Nukem Forever - Well, it IS still technically in development hell. Or is it?

Mortal Kombat II (Mega CD/3DO) - Rumoured to be making it's way onto both the MEGA CD and 3DO, I couldn't contain my excitement and had very high expectations of how close an arcade translation could be on these systems, especially the 3DO (I mean, just look at how amazing Super Street Fighter II Turbo was)! Surely it would have been commercially viable, and let's face it the Mortal Kombat series was one of the bigger gaming events/franchises after Street Fighter. So why did it fail to appear?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Fri May 16, 2008 5:13 am

During my short stint at developing for a large well known UK development company, I worked on two titles; both of which got canned.

I was lucky though, those titles were so badly conceived they didn't last long anyway. I am still in touch with developers who have invested years of late nights and weekends on canned games.