My PS3 won't read disks :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

My PS3 won't read disks :)

Post by sscott » Tue May 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Won't read any disk. Contacted Sony - told me to do a full system restore, I will but I know this won't work. Very unhappy, sigh!

P.S. Towels won't work!

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:11 pm

Have you whacked it?

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue May 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Did you install anything on the HDD before it got knackered?

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue May 13, 2008 4:15 pm

Was pplaying the newly bought GTA IV and it just froze. After that it allows you to put disks in but they won't read.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Didn't this happen the other day to someone on here? God I can totally understand why someone would just give up playing the new gen consoles when they are so unreliable. Luckily nothings happened to me yet, but if/when it does I won't be a happy bunny. I'll probably give it up.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 pm

C=Style wrote:Didn't this happen the other day to someone on here?
Yup:
http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9055

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 pm

So you can still play SSHD and Everyday shooter?

I fail to see the issue ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue May 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Yeh me! Sony didn't suggest anything just sent out a replacement. I think GTA did it to mine.

System restore will do nothing im afraid. Is it in warranty? If so, they should sent you another one
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Tue May 13, 2008 6:52 pm

gta was the last thing played on my xbox b4 it died. so is obviously to blame! :D

anyone here a lawyer? class action suit time i reckon!!

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Wed May 14, 2008 7:58 am

i dont own ether consoles, but what i have read of GTA Freezing on there consoles there's a lot of people out there with this problem.

but that's bad that your ps3 can read disks now. may be GTA is possessed by the devil?

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 am

is it gta 4 that is the cause, or the marathon gaming sessions that you are having playing on it?

Seriously though, you guys are making me really worried that my ps3 is going to do the same! Even bought a cooling fan to try and prevent it happening! (dont know how that will help, but it makes me feel better!) :shock:

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Wed May 14, 2008 8:35 am

Wasn't there a problem with Halo 3 in a similar vain? Are games pushing the hardware that far? Or is it merely that more people are using their consoles because they have something to play on it, making the failure rates more apparent?
Just where is Mickey T?

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed May 14, 2008 11:26 am

video-gamer-girl wrote:i dont own ether consoles, but what i have read of GTA Freezing on there consoles there's a lot of people out there with this problem.

but that's bad that your ps3 can read disks now. may be GTA is possessed by the devil?
I read that too. :shock: The first bit I mean, not the second bit. I think a potential Rockstar lawsuit or two might on the way. :|

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed May 14, 2008 11:45 am

I'm not sure but I don't think it's a common problem, the freezing was on PS3 until R* released a patch, but it could just be coincidence that you were playing GTA IV beforehand, or could be due to long sessions like bonerlaw says. I just find it crazy how delicate the new consoles are.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed May 14, 2008 1:53 pm

C=Style wrote:I'm not sure but I don't think it's a common problem, the freezing was on PS3 until R* released a patch, but it could just be coincidence that you were playing GTA IV beforehand, or could be due to long sessions like bonerlaw says. I just find it crazy how delicate the new consoles are.
Its definitely worse this gen (at least over on the 360 side of the fence) but in Fairness both the PS1 and PS2 had absolutely dire drives in them, I think its just that each successive generation of consoles has more and faster moving parts, lots more components and all the heat and driver related fun that goes with them, I don't think the build quality is any worse its just that old consoles didn't really have much in them that could physically wear out.

Thinking about it the PS1 drive failure rate must have been close to the 360 RROD failure rate.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.