Hows everyone getting on with XBLA Ikaragu?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Universal

Hows everyone getting on with XBLA Ikaragu?

Post by The Universal » Fri May 09, 2008 8:17 am

Wondered how people were getting on with this classic, didnt enjoy it at all on Gamecube, adore it on XBLA.

What are you guys getting in terms of score and grades?

Highscore 2790000 Highest grade A (level one 68 chain)

Havent passed level two yet.
Just where is Mickey T?

EvilArmourKing

Re: Hows everyone getting on with XBLA Ikaragu?

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri May 09, 2008 8:39 am

The Universal wrote:Wondered how people were getting on with this classic, didnt enjoy it at all on Gamecube, adore it on XBLA.

What are you guys getting in terms of score and grades?

Highscore 2790000 Highest grade A
(level one 68 chain)

Havent passed level two yet.
Um, how about looking in the part of the forum that says HIGH SCORES?

Just kiddin!! :o

I've watched a few vids on youtube and it's simply amazing to watch people that CAN play the game really well.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 09, 2008 9:20 am

I love it, the DC version edges it just for me as a game but the 360 has got the wonderful online scoreboard and achievements.

Highscore - about 1.7 million and had a 52 chain

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Fri May 09, 2008 10:27 am

I havent been as enamoured with a game for such a long time, probably not since PSO.
Those You Tube videos are awesome, refreshing to see people playing games at that sort of level, I figured in this world of free plays gamers wouldnt be as adept as they used to be, these guys would have dominated the arcades high score tables back in the day.
Just where is Mickey T?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 09, 2008 10:55 am

I know what you mean, it's one of those rare games where the score attack is more fun than simply completing the game

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri May 09, 2008 11:47 am

I made the mistake of downloading the replay of the guy who has the top score on XBLA and it's ridiculous. I never want to play it ever again.

You would need to dedicate every hour of the day to Ikaruga to get to that level of memory - crazy.

I'll stick to being in the top 50 on REZ instead :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 09, 2008 12:00 pm

Mootown wrote:I made the mistake of downloading the replay of the guy who has the top score on XBLA and it's ridiculous. I never want to play it ever again.

You would need to dedicate every hour of the day to Ikaruga to get to that level of memory - crazy.

I'll stick to being in the top 50 on REZ instead :)
You said it! Its quite awesome to watch some of the top replays and see how the game should be played. I wish I could clear Story mode without dying so much let alone learn how to chain properly.
Wish Capcom would release Mega Man over Xbox Live, that would be something I would actually be good at...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

davrho

Post by davrho » Fri May 09, 2008 3:44 pm

I played this for the first time the other day and its amazing. I cannot believe i missed it on the original format. I am embarrest to post my scores but getting the hang of it now. Quality.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri May 09, 2008 3:54 pm

I've not bought it yet cos I've not found a pad worthy of the game. I still play it occasionally on the DC. When it was first released the game made my jaw hit the floor with it's outright awesomeness (certainly the epic music to Level 2 was a highlight), but for me at least, the game didn't have so much long term value as other shmups out there, I guess that's partly because the gameplay is so different to the more traditional style, and not entirely my sort of thing. I still really do appreciate it however and it's purity.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:00 am

Reviving this thread, its been a couple of months since release now anybody still playing this?

I looked at the game time and realised I've only played it for three hours. After playing the gamecube version I got bored with it fairly quickly. The chain system just had me restarting every time I made a slight error, I wasn't posting any scores because I never finished a game. I still think its a great game - just not as great as I remember it being.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:54 pm

I started playing it and went back to it, only to find I had lost Ikaraguness, A is still best rank on level 1, havent managed anything even close passed level one.
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:38 pm

I couldn't get on with it at all, but then I don't think it was designed with me and my ilk in mind. And that's a good thing, if you ask me. Far too many games go for mass-market penetration in search of the almighty £$(and wherever the Euro and Yen symbols are on this keyboard) that they end up as complete mass-market drivel. I'm glad that some games companies are willing to consider and cater to specific audiences.

Oh, I should mention - just started reading Retro Gamer recently, just bought a computer (first ever I've owned at home - discounting consoles) and first time submitter!